• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Jadeja the most underrated cricketer going?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haven't checked it but what did the windies 80s team do on spinning pitches? Did they still play all of Marshall holding Roberts and Garner?
Not sure, I dont think they played a spinner. Harper played some tests but he wasnt a mainstay.

I think Lloyd has said that he would've picked a spinner if there was a great one available. He was a Lance Gibbs fanboy, so the whole "Lloyd only wanted pacers in his attack" thing is a bit of a myth.

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
Haven't checked it but what did the windies 80s team do on spinning pitches? Did they still play all of Marshall holding Roberts and Garner?
You’re wrong here.India didn’t have good spinners in 80s.Pitches used to be flat deck most of the time.Not like rank turners today.It was totally different time.It wasn’t like now that India lost one match in home and they had ashwin,Jadeja and Axar.Losing a home matches/series wasn’t so big of deal then.I remember hirwani spinning them in one match in the last match of the series.IIRC none of the 4 ever played together in India.They didn’t need to tbh.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
You’re wrong here.India didn’t have good spinners in 80s.Pitches used to be flat deck most of the time.Not like rank turners today.It was totally different time.It wasn’t like now that India lost one match in home and they had ashwin,Jadeja and Axar.Losing a home matches/series wasn’t so big of deal then.I remember hirwani spinning them in one match in the last match of the series.IIRC none of the 4 ever played together in India.They didn’t need to tbh.
I just couldn't understand what you are conveying here. Not needing to is a different matter. But if 1 out of 4 is not playing in India or a spin pitch in another country due to other 3 being better, is that fourth guy docked rating points for it?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look, sure he's just scored 150 and taken 9 fa in his last test, but before we go calling him "underrated", we need to see how he fares in Mozambique.

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
I just couldn't understand what you are conveying here. Not needing to is a different matter. But if 1 out of 4 is not playing in India or a spin pitch in another country due to other 3 being better, is that fourth guy docked rating points for it?
IIRC the 4 name you mentioned never came in ind together .In simple words,they did play 4 quicks in spinning pitch but not the 4great name together played in India.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I love Jadeja - as I said a few posts ago I think he's a great of the game - but I think there are a few factors that kind of inflate his stats a bit. He's an absolute gun but he's not actually 36/24 gun.

- Plays 60% of his Tests at home
- Home conditions very well suited to the type of player he is
- Regularly left out when conditions aren't in his favour (although a bit less so lately)
- Recent batting average not really reflective of his actual impact/value on matches given he usually bats around 7
He is in danger of batting at no.8 if India picks another batsman. Makes sense to pick Jayant Yadav to bat below him and do nothing else.

Also think he could be a 40/24 gun (unprecedented in history among anyone with decent cut-over of wickets/runs) if he stops bowling altogether overseas.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
NZ should honestly not even be talked about when discussing a spinner, if a spinner does well there then more power to him, but if a team can go ahead and drop a guy who just took 10 wickets in an innings it's probably not a place where you expect too much from your spinners.
Maharaj must be a much better spinner than Jadeja.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure, I dont think they played a spinner. Harper played some tests but he wasnt a mainstay.

I think Lloyd has said that he would've picked a spinner if there was a great one available. He was a Lance Gibbs fanboy, so the whole "Lloyd only wanted pacers in his attack" thing is a bit of a myth.
When NZ beat them in 79/80 in the 1st test (2nd and 3rd draws) we bluffed them by having 2 spinners in the 12 (one in the eleven) so they played Derek Parry instead of all quicks and Lance Cairns and Hadlee were able to slog some valuable runs off him in a one-wicket win. NZ's SLA Stephen Boock scampered the winning leg bye.

John Bracewell, who was a very young and raw 12th man, talked about this on radio commentary during the recent NZ-SA test series.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Away from home he's obviously under-rated by the Indian selectors.
He is under-rated by them yeah. But this has been said umpteen times in the forum. In the pitches that overseas countries prepare for India, India cannot play more than one spinner at all. So, either Ashwin or Jadeja lose out on a spot even though both are ATGs.