• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is England a minnow one day side?

Is England a minnow one day side?

• Total voters

LA ICE-E

State Captain
so im saying that bang isn't a minnow and zim right now is but that's for different reasons not really relating to cricket

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Its hard to tell , they shouldn't be , but under their current form they probably are. Although in official terms , the CB series probably saves their bacon.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
so im saying that bang isn't a minnow and zim right now is but that's for different reasons not really relating to cricket
Bangladesh are a substandard side, even if they may sometime in the near future become an up-to-standard one.

The reasons are indeed vastly different to those that Zimbabwe became substandard. However, losing loads of players in itself doesn't make you substandard. That's purely due to the situation in the country at large.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It's silly to suggest so, just as it's silly to suggest the CB Series victory was anything grandilesquent.
Nothing silly. 12 people feel they are either a minnow or are unusre regarding the same. It is fair to raise questions regarding how poor exactly people think the current English side is for the moment.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Several of those who've voted such haven't justified themselves and can hence IMO be ignored - and the 2 Bangladeshis can safely be discounted IMO, as they're saying such a thing only in perceived payback for perceived (stupidly so, frankly) injustices in their own country's direction.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Similarly, you can say a few people have pro English bias. Several who voted for English not being a minnow haven't justified themselves either.

Some stats.

In the past 31 games, the winning % is 40. However, if you exclude the minnows, it becomes 8/27 which is 29.6%. That includes the CB series and the stats deteriorate if you exclude the CB for the moment.

It becomes - 3/17 which is 17.6%.

It has been very poor except 1 tournament. It is definitely not silly to ponder over or for some one to say England is a minnow. It (what entails being a minnow and what defines a minnow) is very subjective opinion and can differ from person to person. So to just brush aside those people by saying it is silly to suggest England is a minnow is not the right way to go about things according to me.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
They beat Australia in Australis a couple of months ago you nutter!

This thread is so pointless.
They?
I would think you mean 'HE" because Collingwood single handedly won all of those last 3 games.

106, 2/46
120*,
70, 2/26
not to mention his catches and run outs that turned around some of those games like the catch of Ponting in the first final

Collingwood performed a miracle, why on earth the rest of the side deserved any praise for their performance is beyond me because no one else could have come out of that series with his head held high.

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Several of those who've voted such haven't justified themselves and can hence IMO be ignored - and the 2 Bangladeshis can safely be discounted IMO, as they're saying such a thing only in perceived payback for perceived (stupidly so, frankly) injustices in their own country's direction.
i don't think any bangladeshis said anything in this thread.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Similarly, you can say a few people have pro English bias. Several who voted for English not being a minnow haven't justified themselves either.

Some stats.

In the past 31 games, the winning % is 40. However, if you exclude the minnows, it becomes 8/27 which is 29.6%. That includes the CB series and the stats deteriorate if you exclude the CB for the moment.

It becomes - 3/17 which is 17.6%.
WHy not go further and exclude those other 3 games, becomes 0% then 8-)

luffy

International Captain
I believe minnows are teams that can't get to the super 8s. So yes that mean India and Pakistan are minnows at the moment.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's silly to suggest so, just as it's silly to suggest the CB Series victory was anything grandilesquent.

Almost as silly as the term "minnow" ITFP. Substandard side is far, far better.
Richard making up his own words now. I imagine he was going for grandiloquent, which (ironically) suits him here as it means using poncy, lofty language.

Anyway, no we aren't a minnow, we're just poo. Bangladesh have never beaten us out of quite a few attempts & have managed wins against Oz, India, SA & Pakistan previously. We're like the Everton of ODI cricket: we're always there without ever really doing much, but can occasionally shock the big boys.

luffy

International Captain
Richard making up his own words now. I imagine he was going for grandiloquent, which (ironically) suits him here as it means using poncy, lofty language.

Anyway, no we aren't a minnow, we're just poo. Bangladesh have never beaten us out of quite a few attempts & have managed wins against Oz, India, SA & Pakistan previously. We're like the Everton of ODI cricket: we're always there without ever really doing much, but can occasionally shock the big boys.
Legends!!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I fully understand yes.

I mean why not take out 3 wins over the reigning World Champions just because you feel like it?
The stats were to highlight how England have been minnowesquely poor for a large portion of the past 18 months - some thing different people can interpret in different ways.

I don't think you understand though.

Read this part again.. the crux of the post:

It (what entails being a minnow and what defines a minnow) is very subjective opinion and can differ from person to person. So to just brush aside those people by saying it is silly to suggest England is a minnow is not the right way to go about things according to me.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But the only way you're saying that they are minnows is be removing selected games - games which happened and are the clearest indicator that they're not minnows.