• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The problem is you keep limiting to opener-keeper. Forget the keeping, there are no middle order batsmen who are conclusively better than MSD in ODIs. There are many openers who are better than Gilchrist. End of.
Name the "many openers" who are better than Gilchrist.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok, let us break this down Mr Biryani - "Gilly being the better gloveman over MSD is absurd to the extreme"
I assume you do not know what absurd and extreme means, because if you did, it would be absurd to think Dhoni, who has taken 28 fewer dismissals in 63 more matches is better. Add to that Gilly's 1.68 dismissals per game to Dhoni's 1.29 (with keepers who have more than 200 dismissals, this is 4th worst...ech our own Buttler is better and he isn't even considered a great keeper).

"I mean, if you hate MSD so much, it explains why you are hardly ever around here to post, as there is only so much salt a human body can take. " This part I do not understand, I am supposed to be around more to hate on Dhoni more?

"India-bashing Paks supporter who is also pissed off by his side currently being crap"....this is assuming I am Pakistani or a Pakistani supporter, neither of which is true. In fact, your racial bias is making me mull over the idea of messaging the admins.
Ugh we had a good run without a cringe Ben Shapiro type infesting the forum. The phantom of Richard is back in its latest incarnation.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I assume you do not know what absurd and extreme means, because if you did, it would be absurd to think Dhoni, who has taken 28 fewer dismissals in 63 more matches is better. Add to that Gilly's 1.68 dismissals per game to Dhoni's 1.29 (with keepers who have more than 200 dismissals, this is 4th worst...ech our own Buttler is better and he isn't even considered a great keeper).
Don't add to that, they are the same stat.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bevan was definitely not better at 5/6 than Dhoni. Hussey was not at the same class, he was in the Bevan class. And Kohli is a top order bat. AB is really the only one who is in that class and there is room for both in the side. As a matter of fact, there is room for 3 in the lower middle order, given I can get overs out of Richards, Sachin and Jayasuriya in the top order. And Bevan and Hussey can bowl too. So I can easily play AB at 5, MSD at 6 and Hussey/Bevan at 7. Which means once again, in an ATG side, there are better options than Gilly for his slot than there are for MSD in his slot.
Lol at the wild assertions. Bevan not in the same class as Dhoni is a bad joke.

I simply want the better batsman, not the faster scorer. So Jayasuriya/Lara.
And here here it is - Jayasuriya definitively a better bat than Gilchrist.

a massive zebra

International Captain
If catches per match were a good indicator of wicket keeping ability, Kamran Akmal and Geraint Jones should be recognised as better keepers than Bob Taylor and Don Tallon. Average catches per match is primarily driven by the style and quality of the bowlers, rather than the standard of wicket keeping. It should not be used as a matrix to compare wicket keepers playing in different eras, in very different parts of the world and with totally different bowling attacks.

"India-bashing Paks supporter who is also pissed off by his side currently being crap"....this is assuming I am Pakistani or a Pakistani supporter, neither of which is true. In fact, your racial bias is making me mull over the idea of messaging the admins.
Rather hypercritical to accuse someone of racial bias when you already made racially prejudiced comments yourself:

My definition of best is pretty normal. I think you're confusing me with some Indian fans from other threads. You might want to ask them burger :)

He may just name every Indian opener ever. Would make sense.

Disappointed in this forum, as I had joined it thinking it would be better than others but it seems to have the same type of posters.
:wallbash::pokey::thumbdown:mad:

See ya. You won't be missed.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
If I may weigh in on this absorbing debate, I'd suggest that Gilly & MSD are just about equal on raw batting talent alone. Gilly was always so effortless-looking/graceful in his strokeplay & was usually a good judge of which shot to play to particular deliveries. MSD on the other hand was such a powerhouse with the bat & when he got his engines completely fired up could make any ground around the world look small.

As the thread title suggests, the question is in regards to MSD being the greatest ODI cricketer of all time. As a complete package, MSD has just about the greatest cricketing mind we have seen in quite some time, & is in my book India's finest ODI captain to date. Very rarely is a cricketer able to read a game in the same way that Dhoni does, & I would go out on a limb & say that MSD trumps Gilly as a more complete cricketer, but batting-wise Gilly has always been right up there for me.

Daemon

5 years ago there were serious talks here about Dhoni being the best ODI batsman ever where iirc most people agreed he was in the Top 3 at the very least. These last few years have really hurt that if we’re now rating him equal to Gilchrist, who was obviously a brilliant batsman but not really ever in the conversation for top 5.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I don't think it's a controversial opinion to say that Dhoni's legacy suffered from his last 4-5 years. If he'd retired in 2015 would probably be rated higher.

Daemon

Yeah.

I've started to take a softer approach to end career slumps personally. Not sure if they should hold equal weightage to the rest of a players career.

If you're rating a players career rather than the player then it should all count, but I think there's a difference between the two exercises. Like Anderson clearly has a vastly superior career to Bond, but idk if he was a better fast bowler?

vcs

People still arguing about... well, something, here. Remarkable stamina.