• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL4 Auction

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So Jono, do you think Gambhir went for too much? If he got $1.8m, would you consider him undervalued? Not knocking the guy, make the most of it while you can.
It depends on what the salary cap situation is, as I am unsure if it has been increased.

But looking at the rest of the market, I would say Gambhir is worth anywhere between $1.7-$2.3 million.

The IPL teams have learned their lessons from last year. The Indian players, who are guaranteed to play every game and not have to go for international duty, are the most valuable players. Then when you take the fact that Gambhir and Rohit Sharma are out-and-out guns, of course they're worth every penny (relatively to the rest of the field).

Vettori going $400k less than Botha must be because they see Botha as not playing tests for SA, whereas Vettori plays tests and ODIs for NZ.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Gambhir was the first drawn out of bag and everbody's money was bouncing in the pocket,so Gambhir having scored two good knocks recently too ,got lucky.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Hey my frnd just told me that Australia are going to strt their own version of IPL! Is that true?

Dissector

International Debutant
Kolkatta wants to make Ganguly a " mentor " like Kumble is for Bangalore if he does not get picked by another team.

They are hesitant to play him anymore.
I think that makes sense. He could play a useful role mentoring some of the younger batsmen.

Jacknife

International Captain
'It's understood from the franchises that Chris Gayle was available only for two weeks of the IPL in 2011 and that's why the teams didn't want to bid for him.'

tooextracool

International Coach
SL players worth 2x if you ask me because their board is one of the few around that is actually receptive of them playing in the IPL.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kochi has: Mahela Jayawardene, VVS Laxman, Brendon McCullum, Sreesanth, RP Singh

with $6.1m left to go. They can get themseleves a pretty solid team here, maybe not too many superstars but a good team nonetheless.

Punjab is going to pick up a hell lotta cheap players later on, with $8.1m left to spend.

Rajasthan are pretty ****ed imo. Little over a million left with not a great deal in their squad. Only Indian they have is Dravid.

Dissector

International Debutant
I think RCB has been the canniest so far. Dilshan and Vettori look like bargains at their price though I suppose availability could be an issue with the latter

Craig

World Traveller
It depends on what the salary cap situation is, as I am unsure if it has been increased.

But looking at the rest of the market, I would say Gambhir is worth anywhere between $1.7-$2.3 million.

The IPL teams have learned their lessons from last year. The Indian players, who are guaranteed to play every game and not have to go for international duty, are the most valuable players. Then when you take the fact that Gambhir and Rohit Sharma are out-and-out guns, of course they're worth every penny (relatively to the rest of the field).

Vettori going $400k less than Botha must be because they see Botha as not playing tests for SA, whereas Vettori plays tests and ODIs for NZ.
According to the FTP, NZ are free after the WC until November.

tooextracool

International Coach
I quite like RCBs picks. Zaheer maybe a fitness issue but considering that hes eligible to play every game hes well worth the amount they paid for him. Good bowlers are harder to come by than good batsmen in this format. The rest were all steals. Would have liked Mahela but not sure it would have justified his price tag

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Kochi has: Mahela Jayawardene, VVS Laxman, Brendon McCullum, Sreesanth, RP Singh

with $6.1m left to go. They can get themseleves a pretty solid team here, maybe not too many superstars but a good team nonetheless.

Punjab is going to pick up a hell lotta cheap players later on, with $8.1m left to spend.

Rajasthan are pretty ****ed imo. Little over a million left with not a great deal in their squad. Only Indian they have is Dravid.
From the SL players, Mathews and Perera could be important picks because of seam bowling and big hitting capabilities.

Kochi might make Mahela their captain.

Are Steyn, Theron, Morkel, Amla in the auction?

tooextracool

International Coach
According to the FTP, NZ are free after the WC until November.
Dont the auctions take place every 3 years? My guess is that these guys sign 3 year contracts, hence its not just about their availability for this year. Or at least thats the way it should be.