• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Introducing cricket to a new country and audience

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
Fellow baseball fans asking for times of coverage.. this got some wings.

And to think I was saying it all along, two years ago... the T20 World Cup is just perfect to spread interest for the game. It seems the ICC realized it too... at last.

Better later than never.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is Rich half Saffie? :wacko: I thought he just lived there.
SAfrican dad, British mom. Same as Kevin Pietersen. Only thing is, he grew-up here where Pietersen grew-up in SA. That makes Pietersen South African and Hingeh British.

Well, he was - he's switched allegiance since he came of age, but until pretty recently he was a fake SAffie, and Neil Pickup (and Haakon Mork) never used to tire of pointing that out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
SAfrican dad, British mom. Same as Kevin Pietersen. Only thing is, he grew-up here where Pietersen grew-up in SA. That makes Pietersen South African and Hingeh British.

Well, he was - he's switched allegiance since he came of age, but until pretty recently he was a fake SAffie, and Neil Pickup (and Haakon Mork) never used to tire of pointing that out.
That spelling makes you American :-O

:blowup:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, thought a bit of multinationalisation was called for TBH.

Don't normally use said spelling FTR.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
So had a talk with the play-by-play guy and i'll manage the feedback address, at the very least.

I'd have gone to have a go at commentary, but between disability and job duties and the logistics (where to live in Bucharest and with whom) it's pretty much impossible.

The good thing is that the wheel was turned at last.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I guess one good thing about T20 is it's simplicity.. I took a guy from New York to the IPL, and, completely ignoring test cricket, he managed to get a grasp of what was going on fairly quickly.. I hadn't the heart to tell him it wasn't real cricket, he seemed happy enough :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Is Rich half Saffie? :wacko: I thought he just lived there.
Nope, just lived there/live there, speak the language and support the teams.. My personal title relates to having one leg in England, one in Africa, and my dick in the ocean.. Both my parents are English but used to live here too, hence me ending up in SA.. If I've claimed otherwise, I was probably drunk or didn't want to assosciate with a country that has produced Harold Shipman and Stuart Broad.. Nah its kind of cool being from two of the best countries ever, and can obviously adapt depending on who I'm trying to chat up..

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Back on topic, I think it's stunning that European audiences will get to see cricket, thats great news.. However, I'm not sure how you can do this without them hearing David Lloyd, seems kind of wrong.. They might be in danger of understanding the game or thinking it is in some way normal if they don't hear people like Lloyd

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nope, just lived there/live there, speak the language and support the teams.. My personal title relates to having one leg in England, one in Africa, and my dick in the ocean.. Both my parents are English but used to live here too, hence me ending up in SA.. If I've claimed otherwise, I was probably drunk or didn't want to assosciate with a country that has produced Harold Shipman and Stuart Broad.. Nah its kind of cool being from two of the best countries ever, and can obviously adapt depending on who I'm trying to chat up..
Nah, I won't :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope, just lived there/live there, speak the language and support the teams.. My personal title relates to having one leg in England, one in Africa, and my dick in the ocean.. Both my parents are English but used to live here too, hence me ending up in SA.. If I've claimed otherwise
You have. CBA finding it though.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
Strange joy to hear my name in the commentary tonight :) well, I got something to brag about, ain't it? Got a pretty fair shout from the commentators.

The commentary is getting better also, touching some finesse points, sledging, spin variations etc. Good times!