• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interviews

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Sorry guys

ok the interviews will return this week with an interview of Kears_Falcon as I've lost the original list of hopefuls.

Slats4ever

Slats4ever Hi and welcome back to Interview 2004. Firstly I must apologise for the lack of interviews being held lately but the sound crew here have gone on strike due to a lack of ice cream stored in the freezers here at World Club Cricket studios.

But fortunately through a new deal struck with Streets Ice Cream
the Interviews are back and this week we have one of the young managers, Kears Falcon to let us know just what makes him and his new side Karachi tick.

G'day and welcome, first things first mate are you having fun here at World Club Cricket, and if so what's the best part of it?

Kears Well the best part so far would have to be the success of my young side Karachi. Even though we seem to be struggling in the 1 day from we are top in 4 day and are holding our position very strongly.

And yes I am having fun a WCC I personally think it's the best PBEM game around.

Slats4ever You've certainly inherited a side who is capable of playing some awesome cricket, as seen in there topping of the four day division 5 table, is this as good as they get or can they get better?

Kears Well I think they can get much better with the batting but the bowling has been pretty much top notch. The opening pair really need to stand up and take control. Even though G Gambhir has scored close to 600 runs as an opener this season his partner has always seemed to struggle.

Slats4ever All round the stats show you have some wonderful players who are all performing very well in the four day game such as Gambhir and Fernando, who do you see as your most important player if you are to continue on your winning form and get to division 4 next year?

Kears M Sami has been a crucial part to the four day side. He has been inured for one week yet has still managed the great bowling figures of 45 wickets at an average of 19.9 and to me that is a great season round bowling performance hopefully he can crack the big 50 up this week.

Slats4ever On the one day side of the coin you have a little bit of work left to think about promotion next year.

Where do you see as being the most crucial area of your game to pick up to gain promotion?

Kears No offence to my team here but I think my whole team has let the Karachi supporters down. The bowling has been expensive and the batting has been average at the best of times.

Slats4ever Trading is important in WCC as you'll soon find out, this season are there any major recruitments you're looking to make or are you going to keep it a quiet year as far as trades are concerned and just try to learn the ropes?

Kears Well I can tell you one trade that I am 98% sure off. I can tell you that you might be shocked but while having talks with manager nibblet and my star 4 day player G Gambhir we have decided that it is best that he leaves Karachi as he is having difficulty with his husband (yes he is gay) so nibblet and I have decided to trade G Gambhir with O Hemp from Warwickshire.

O Hemp is a star young player who has a batting skill of 54 in the 1 day game and 48 in the 4 day game.

Slats4ever If there is one player in your side who is underperforming and who you expect more from who would it be and what are you going to do with him if his form doesn't return?

Kears Well this is an easy question, I defiantly expected more from C McMillan he has great stats from past seasons but this year has only averaged 20 in the 4 day game (My second lowest average in the 4 day) and 28 in the one day game. I am not too disappointed with him for his one day performances but I
gave him more than enough chances in the 4 day and well sorry Craig you just haven't shown me that u have the skill to match it with the big boys.

Slats4ever If there was one other player you could have in WCC system who would it be?

Kears Most probably Greg Blewett purely because I love the way he plays in real life.

Slats4ever Are you happy at Karachi, or deep down would you like the glory of taking one of the topsides on in division 1? is it a challenge taking a side like Karachi?

Kears No way I love Karachi, and yes it is a challenge being in the bottom div in both forms but hey who doesn't like a challenge. I must say when I applied I really really wanted south Australia but then I got put in the academy and I was happy with who ever I got from then.

Slats4ever The people of Pakistan often demand results, it has been reported that you have received death threats from some angry fans sorry to see Andre go, how do you approach this?

Kears Well yes I have received death threats and even letter bombs that my poor dog ripped opened and yes sadly got blown in to tiny little pieces. (Bloody Bombs) Yes it is sorry to see Andre go but the people of Pakistan have to accept this and move on.

I'm here now and I'm Karachi's Coach so I hope that
they can accept that and not blow up my other dog or my girlfriend for that matter.

Slats4ever Now onto Kears as a person

Explain to me your ideal woman? what sorta face would she have? body?

Kears Well mate I think well keep this to our selves and I am only 15 so all u guys out there no what type of girl is good when they are that age.

Slats4ever You're on death row, they've asked you what you would like for your last ever meal, what would it be?

Kears Lasagne my mum cooked the best lasagne just last night as a matter of fact.

Slats4ever Rugby League, union, AFL (ONE DAY SOMEONE WILL AGREE) or soccer?

Kears AFL ALL THE WAY MAN. You cant beat it (Sorry cricket diehards) GO THE CROWS.

Slats4ever I LOVE YOU SO MUCH MAN

Greatest Sporting moment?

Kears Crows back to back premierships (97-98)
And my own premiership 2003 under 14’s SFL div 1 premiers at Flagstaff Hill
F.C. We were undefeated all season and I was vice captain

Slats4ever Thanks for your time Kears and we look forward to next week with Eyes only

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
Kears Well I can tell you one trade that I am 98% sure off. I can tell you that you might be shocked but while having talks with manager nibblet and my star 4 day player G Gambhir we have decided that it is best that he leaves Karachi as he is having difficulty with his husband (yes he is gay) so nibblet and I have decided to trade G Gambhir with O Hemp from Warwickshire.

O Hemp is a star young player who has a batting skill of 54 in the 1 day game and 48 in the 4 day game.
already... there is like 4 weeks till trading starts up

cometer

State Regular
Yeh nicely done. Interviews have been great. Keep up the good work! Put me on the list for an interview i wouldn't mind being interviewed at some stage.

Slats4ever

Slats4ever For this weeks interview, one of
everybody's favourite manager to talk to, trade time,
advice time anytime. Since taking over Mashonaland Rik
has improved the MAshonaland side dramatically so much
so they are in a position to gain promotion at the end
of Season 4, and have a real chance in one day!
Rik haha cool, people like me!
Slats4ever This weeks interview will reveal his
thoughts and hopes on how he will make this team
stronger and move his favourit team into WCC
glory!

Welcome Rik I suppose a question many of us want to know is how hard is it to manage a
Zimbabwean side, they are the minnows in world cricket
and with the state of cricket development in the country
it must be hard sometimes playing against richer clubs?

[Rik
I'm lucky in that I have some very talented
youngsters, although I have recruited quite heavily from
England. When you don't have much money you can only go
with who you can get, and luckily I seem to be able to
pick up not only talented players, but also players who
play for the team. Like the Zimbabwe side of old, there
arn't many stars but my team gets the runs on the board
and takes the wickets and are allways up there.

Slats4ever In saying that, is that attitude of mental
team strenght something you've tried to instill in your
team, or is it someting that you found they bought with
them?

[Rik Well certainly some of the English players
have bonded well with the Zimbabwean players, there is a
real kinship between them. I feel I've managed to build
a team full of players who cover different areas, but
also back up each other. There is a very good team
spirit and all the players get along, they all know
their places and their jobs and support each other
through bad times. I'm proud of my players, and what
I've put together, but you can't make players get on
with each other, so I'm grateful that they have made my
job so much easier in that respect.

Slats4ever Whilst team harmony might be at the
highest level at the moment, the teams performances,
whilst gradually improving, are not quite there yet. If
you made it to division 4 in either form do you think
you'd be able to compete?

[Rik I feel I will be able to compete, but some of
the more experianced players need to show they can still
do the buisness. Last year I was unlucky and my
inexperianced team very nearly got promoted in 4D, but I
invested heavily in experiance this season, and players
with good records in both forms. I feel vindicated for
this decision since we are now in position for promotion
in both forms when we were, to put it mildly, a dreadful
OD side last year. Of course we are missing Tim Petal
this season but we have some quality players like
Saqlain and Gus Mackay who do the buisness day in day
out. Barney Rogers isn't having a bad season, but he's
not doing as well as he did last year, and Dinesh Mongia
hasn't produced the number of runs we expected from him.
But luckily we still have team players like Ryan
Cunningham who keep working hard and taking wickets. My
rookie, Hugh Bradley is an exciting player and we are
looking for more runs from Tim's brother Andy. Certainly
if my team learn to value their wickets more and they
perform to their potential, we should be fine.

Slats4ever Young Sami showed us in his one outing
that he was a very capable player yet you have only
played him once.. How important are career statistics
compared to form when choosing a side

[Rik Hugh Bradley needed a break and "Sammy" Sami was
doing well in OD so I gave him a run out. He's one for
the future, like Hugh, but Hugh had not done much wrong
on previous outings so he got his place back. We have a
pretty settled team, with Hugh, Gus Mackay, Saqlain and
Ryan Cunningham making up the attack, but if "Sammy"
keeps taking wickets in the OD game he'll get his
chance. The bowling has been the least of my worries
this season mind, it's the batting I'm more worried
about.

Slats4ever Looking at your teams performances in the
batting dept it looks like they are capable of getting
starts but not going onto make big scores with Mongia's
109 being the highest score. Is this lack of being able
to go on with it something you're looking at?

[Rik Yeah, Dinesh's 109 being the only 100 this
season if I remember correctly? Certainly proven class
players like Chris Adams, Jason Gallian, Ian Ward and
Andy Symonds can hang their heads in shame at this
statistic. Last season the batsmen went on and made big
scores, this year they've all had starts but not gone
on. It's good to have a good team spirit around the
place but I'm going to be reminding certain players
their main job is to perform for the team. I certainly
think if the batting had performed more this year, added
to the quality of the bowling, we would be well on our
way to promotion, but it doesn't look like it's going to
be that easy...

Slats4ever Looking around WCC, what is one thing
you'd like to see taken out've the game? Also one thing
you'd like put in

[Rik I'd like to see forfits back, since teams who
have not submitted have affected my season a lot more
than most other teams. What would I want in? Hmmmmm, a
more consistant Sim?

Slats4ever Now onto Rik as a person... If There were three words that you would describe yourself as being what would they be?

[Rik Tall, Scruffy and I can't pronounce the 3rd, although it begins with "G"

Slats4ever That's great... where can i usually find you on a Saturday night?

[Rik Saturday Night? Well I've usually just finished 2 days of band practise so I'm home catching up on the CSI and XFiles episodes I missed. Wow I must sound sad!

Slats4ever You sound really into your music? If you could listen to one more song before you die what would it be?

[Rik Can I have 2? I would listen to Take 5 by the David Brubeck Trio or The Planets - Mars by Holst. It's amusing, I didn't really get into music till I was 18, when I bought a bass guitar. Before then I listened to Green Day at a Scout Camp when I was about 15-16 and started messing around with a guitar until I was 18 and realised I was rubbish!
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines says:
So I bought a bass as it's easier

Slats4ever The Planets hey? I take it your a Jupiter man and when Mashonaland finally get up on stage to take Division 5 out will it be Jupiter playing or maybe another planet?

[Rik Ahhhh Jupiter indeed, Da De Da De Da Deee Deeee Deee

Slats4ever ok unfortunately Rik's started singing so that's it as far as this weeks interviews go... look forward to next week with Eyes_only (finally)

Rik

Mr. P

Good interviews here guys:)

Sorry Kears but the Crows are none and four so far this season:D