• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inswing vs outswing

Which is more effective

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Including seam to go along with swing for this comparison, I know that most great bowlers are capable of both, but all primarily specialized at one or the other. Which is harder to face, more effective and travels better in varying conditions?

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
I think it depends on whether it's left hand bat or right hand bat. Left hand or right hand bowl. But generally outswing is considered more potent against top bats.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
At express pace, inswinger likely more dangerous.

Otherwise the out swinger
Agree to a certain extent, but as the level and skill level increases, think the impact (of express pace) decreases.
Definitely works on the lower order bats though. Possibly why Wasim was more effective against them.

smash84

The Tiger King
Agree to a certain extent, but as the level and skill level increases, think the impact (of express pace) decreases.
Definitely works on the lower order bats though. Possibly why Wasim was more effective against them.
Not really. Express pace swinging in is lethal. Example Shoaib running through an ATG Aussie batting lineup with the ball coming in. Or Allan Donald cleaning up Tendulkar with inswing.

Besides impact of any type of bowling will decrease as batting skill level increases.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Including seam to go along with swing for this comparison, I know that most great bowlers are capable of both, but all primarily specialized at one or the other. Which is harder to face, more effective and travels better in varying conditions?
Not sure I can think of too many great bowlers who are capable of both, unless you count reverse swing. Dale Steyn never managed to perfect the inswinger. Most of the West Indian greats weren't swing bowlers at all. Neither was Glen McGrath.

Jimmy Anderson swings it both ways, I guess Wasim Akram could too. Who else?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure I can think of too many great bowlers who are capable of both, unless you count reverse swing. Dale Steyn never managed to perfect the inswinger. Most of the West Indian greats weren't swing bowlers at all. Neither was Glen McGrath.

Jimmy Anderson swings it both ways, I guess Wasim Akram could too. Who else?
Marshall was a swing bowler

With regards to mastering both, umm.
Will have to give that one some thought. I recall Hadlee primarily taking it away.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember hearing Sir Richard say he could seam it both ways at will, which was an incredible flex. Very unlikely true but I loved his understated swagger about his abilities

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember hearing Sir Richard say he could seam it both ways at will, which was an incredible flex. Very unlikely true but I loved his understated swagger about his abilities
Imagine if you actually did have this ability. You'd be functionally unplayable and average about 2

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Allan Donald? Think he predominantly bowled in-swing but could take it away from the batsman consistently too

shortpitched713

International Captain
Very fast pace in swing yorker is the best delivery in cricket.

Otherwise for your standard seam bowlers, angle in to stumps, and move the ball away from a goodish length is better for more circumstances.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bumrah bowls both, but obviously doesn’t have the body of work behind him that others do.

Loved the WI tour when he bowled outies (in for the left handers) all day to take 5-7 and then came back the next game to set them up with the opposite.

cnerd123

likes this
Outswing/spinning the ball away has always been seen as the match up you want, but I think when you are a highly skilled bowler you would rather be swinging/spinning the ball into the batter instead. Attack the stumps, bring more bowled and LBWs into play. That's probably why we see right arm offspin being the dominant spin bowling form historically. And even top tier legspinners / left arm orthodox bowlers all have a ball that goes on straight as well.
in before @Starfighter throws a fit again