• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Senior Team Coach

Who do you support for the job?

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Vettori looks the right man for the job to me. They will think a hundred times before giving it to another Aussie.

Vettori looks the right man for the job to me. They will think a hundred times before giving it to another Aussie.
I'm not sure Vettori will risk his BBL and IPL coaching contracts for the India job. Aren't India coaches on a hiding to nothing? Plus doesn't he have a last hurrah as a player at the CPL20? I spose you're talking after the end of July.

Do you know what the India job is paying? He is on pretty good money from the IPL and BBL... And that aint exactly as taxing as a full time international coaching role.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I'm not sure Vettori will risk his BBL and IPL coaching contracts for the India job. Aren't India coaches on a hiding to nothing? Plus doesn't he have a last hurrah as a player at the CPL20? I spose you're talking after the end of July.

Do you know what the India job is paying? He is on pretty good money from the IPL and BBL... And that aint exactly as taxing as a full time international coaching role.
Longer time period on the job also would mean more pay. The fact that Kohli recommended him is a strong point. They must have talked as they are both in RCB.

It's a high profile and a high paying job. Can lead to so many opportunities after 2-3 years with a team like India.

Shri

Mr. Glass
sure... Merit like asking Yuvraj Singh to open in tests and banishing a perfectly good Aakash Chopra who was just starting to grow into the role... Banishing Murali Kartik when it was apparent at times that he was a better spinner than Harbhajan Singh in certain series.

He is not a guy who comes with regional or other ****ty political biases, but he is biased towards people he thinks are good, and biased against people he thinks are not good. That will not be a problem, except that he is someone who does not change his thinking even when results show otherwise.
Oh you sure put me in my place. 2 or 3 decisions over a career spanning more than a decade? Lets lynch the ****er eh? Murali Kartik was a slightly above average bowler by international standards and his non selection wasn't a huge strategic error on Ganguly's part. Lets look at the guys he introduced to the side when he was captain now shall we? Zaheer Khan, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Gambhir, Kaif etc off the top of my head. Eye for talent as I was saying. Chopra and Yuvraj weren't huge losses to the team as they are both average test cricketers who would have been found out sooner or later regardless of where they played in the XI. And you think Chopra/Sehwag opening would have been better than Gambhir/Sehwag opening? :laugh:

Thats one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. Not calling you an idiot(I would never) but yeah its ****ing stupid.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
actually don't mind the system of:
Director
Batting Coach
Pace Coach
Spin Coach
Fielding (maybe a separate WK one too) Coach
Other Coaches

Don't think a cricket team require an outright main general coach considering how much power and responsibility the Captains have. Just need a Director over Captains especially if there is different Captains for different formats for the same team.

cnerd123

likes this
Should get a Bangladeshi coach tbh. I hear Khaled Masid os available.

I guess a Bengali like Dada would be fine too

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Cribb more obsessed with Ganguly's obsession with Dinda than Ganguly is obsessed with Dinda?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Is Cribb more obsessed with Ganguly's obsession with Dinda than Ganguly is obsessed with Dinda?
Haha ya I think so. But Ganguly, over the years as captain, has had some weird obsessions with some bowlers (Nehra comes to mind). I personally think he always overrated the bowlers who he had troubles facing in the net and underrated bowlers who he had no problems facing in the nets. You could kind of see why someone like Nehra may have bothered batsman Ganguly in the nets. It may also explain why Murali Kartik didn't get his due under Ganguly's captaincy (Ganguly is possibly the most murderous plunderer of slow left armers that I've seen).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Oh you sure put me in my place. 2 or 3 decisions over a career spanning more than a decade? Lets lynch the ****er eh? Murali Kartik was a slightly above average bowler by international standards and his non selection wasn't a huge strategic error on Ganguly's part. Lets look at the guys he introduced to the side when he was captain now shall we? Zaheer Khan, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Gambhir, Kaif etc off the top of my head. Eye for talent as I was saying. Chopra and Yuvraj weren't huge losses to the team as they are both average test cricketers who would have been found out sooner or later regardless of where they played in the XI. And you think Chopra/Sehwag opening would have been better than Gambhir/Sehwag opening? :laugh:

Thats one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. Not calling you an idiot(I would never) but yeah its ****ing stupid.

Do you even read? Not saying you have no idea what you are typing (I would never say that) but you are just pointing out something I already accepted. He is a great spotter of talent, so lets have him selecting the A side, hey? The issue is not that he can't spot good players, the issue is that he will back the players he trusts more than the ones he doesn't, even when the results show otherwise. That last phrase is where it will be an issue if he were to be the national coach. He will just blacklist a few players right off the bat. And FWIW, Chopra could well have turned out to be better than Gambhir if he was given a chance. Remember how much he adds as an ace close in catcher too. And Kartik was in the form of his life when he was ignored for the darting Harbhajan.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
...the issue is that he will back the players he trusts more than the ones he doesn't, even when the results show otherwise....
I agree, but Shastri is even worse in that respect. He was admittedly out to prove a point that Raina can be a good test player.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't even understand what a Director's supposed to do. If he's meant to oversee the batting, bowling and fielding coaches, just call him the head coach FFS. Seems to me that Shastri's eyeing a head coach job but doesn't want to actually step onto the field for drills and the like (because he prefers sitting in air-conditioned offices wearing a suit, har har har) and isn't obliged to actually impart any training on the technical side of things (because he's a hack who can't impart training on the technical side of things). Perhaps I'm being too picky on this, but it's really bugging me because it sounds too much like the typical MBA hogwash. And that's before we even get to the point about him demanding no accountability to the newly constituted cricket advisory committee. What's the god damn job description??

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't even understand what a Director's supposed to do. If he's meant to oversee the batting, bowling and fielding coaches, just call him the head coach FFS. Seems to me that Shastri's eyeing a head coach job but doesn't want to actually step onto the field for drills and the like (because he prefers sitting in air-conditioned offices wearing a suit, har har har) and isn't obliged to actually impart any training on the technical side of things (because he's a hack who can't impart training on the technical side of things). Perhaps I'm being too picky on this, but it's really bugging me because it sounds too much like the typical MBA hogwash. And that's before we even get to the point about him demanding no accountability to the newly constituted cricket advisory committee. What's the god damn job description??
There are 2 things in relation to this.
1. He was first appointed when Duncan Fletcher was head coach. He was appointed as the supreme boss who could override Fletcher's decisions etc. BCCI had to have a name for the post, because we already had a coach. So, Team Director.
2. After Duncan left, Shastri played a cunning move. One of the contenders for the job of head coach was Tom Moody - and he has a coaching degree. So, that's a positive he has over Shastri for the job of coach. But if we still call the post 'Team Director' then Shastri isn't disadvantaged. Afterall, Moody's degree isn't a Director degree, lol. That's probably one reason Shastri keeps harping on the point that we don't need a 'head coach'.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Do you even read? *bs*
Do you? I just told you his *blacklisting* didn't lead to India missing out on a once in a generation player or anything even close to that. Murali Kartik was nothing special who we had to pick no matter what. He was a marginally better bowler than Bhajji for a very brief period in his career but mediocre otherwise. The move was not a major blunder on Ganguly's part. He already lead the side through one transition and has experience which will help us again.