• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Dennis Lillee joins up with his coaching teammate TA Sekhar to join the Delhi Daredevils.

"It feels great to be a part of GMR Sports and Delhi Daredevils. I've known many of the young players in the Delhi Daredevils squad and am naturally delighted to be part of this team. While players like Glenn McGrath are legends by their own right, I am looking forward to work with upcoming talents such as Pradeep Sangwan and Yo Mahesh," he said.

Source: http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2008/apr/16dennis.htm

I will be interesting to see how he can improve Pradeep Sangwan, one of the most promising fast bowlers in India, and Yo Mahesh, who was there just a few years ago...

ret

International Debutant
the Mohali squad

Key players: Yuvi, Chawla, Dharmani, Pathan, Powar, VRV, Sreesant

International: Hopes, Katich, Saun Marsh, Pomerbach, Sarwan, Jayawardene, Mills, Lee, Sangakara

The Indian bowlers are good so they will probably have 3 batsmen from the International and may be an all-rounder or Lee

the Kolkatta squad

Key players: Ganguly, Agarkar, Chopra, M Kartik, Ishant

Internationals: Gayle, Hafeez, Butt, Akthar, Taibu, D Hussey, McCullum, Ponting, Gul

I guess the Pak players would be available, along with D Hussey and Taibu

the Jaipur Squad

Key players: Kaif, Munaf, Yusuf Pathan, Pankaj Singh

Internationals: Warne, Langer, Macarenhas, M Morkel, Tanvir, [Dr.] Watson, Akmal, Lehmann, Smith, YK

Warne is the captain and the coach, so is more like the local player .... which means Jaipur picks 3 other international players

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
it will probably be for the first time in their lives that Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly, former India captains and now rival skippers in the Indian Premier League (IPL), will walk out for the toss in a stadium plunged in darkness.

Minutes after a "short, sharp and sweet" opening ceremony on Friday to launch the inaugural edition of the Twenty20 tournament, the organisers are planning to switch off the floodlights at the Chinnaswamy Stadium before the first match between Dravid's Bangalore Royal Challengers, the hosts, and Ganguly's Kolkata Knight Riders, the visitors, which begins at 20.00 local time. "Then, the spotlights will come on, and focus on the two skippers as they walk out for the toss," Charu Sharma, the Royal Challengers' chief executive, told Cricinfo.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The squads for the first match are announced:

Chennai squad MS Dhoni (capt), Matthew Hayden, Stephen Fleming, Jacob Oram, Michael Hussey, Muttiah Muralitharan, Suresh Raina, Parthiv Patel, Joginder Sharma, Vidyut Sivaramakrishnan, S Aniruddha, R Ashwin, Shadab Bashar Jakati, P Amarnath, KB Arun Kartik, S Badrinath, Manpreet Singh Goni.

Kolkata squad Sourav Ganguly (capt.), Ricky Ponting, Brendon McCullum (wk), Chris Gayle, David Hussey, Mohammad Hafiz, Laxmi Ratan Shukla, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), Ajit Agarkar, Ashok Dinda, Ishant Sharma, Murali Kartik, Debabrata Das and Iqbal Abdullah.

I don't really know a lot about domestic Indian cricketers, but the bowling there looks a bit ordinary... especially Kolkata.

sideshowtim

Banned
So this probably means David Hussey will play? Good stuff. I was expecting Gul to play in place of Ahktar. Kolkata's bowling probably is a bit light on, but Hussey is a rather good T20 bowler and Gayle is also useful. Agarkar and Sharma are the spearheads there though, and there does seem to be an awful lot of reliance on them.

Just realised, D. Huss vs M. Huss :) Apparently it can get incredibly competitive between those two...

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
So this probably means David Hussey will play? Good stuff. I was expecting Gul to play in place of Ahktar. Kolkata's bowling probably is a bit light on, but Hussey is a rather good T20 bowler and Gayle is also useful. Agarkar and Sharma are the spearheads there though, and there does seem to be an awful lot of reliance on them.

Just realised, D. Huss vs M. Huss :) Apparently it can get incredibly competitive between those two...
Oh yeah... I missed Sharma. That's a bit better then.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member

Chennai squad MS Dhoni (capt), Matthew Hayden, Stephen Fleming, Jacob Oram, Michael Hussey, Muttiah Muralitharan, Suresh Raina, Parthiv Patel, Joginder Sharma, Vidyut Sivaramakrishnan, S Aniruddha, R Ashwin, Shadab Bashar Jakati, P Amarnath, KB Arun Kartik, S Badrinath, Manpreet Singh Goni.

Kolkata squad Sourav Ganguly (capt.), Ricky Ponting, Brendon McCullum (wk), Chris Gayle, David Hussey, Mohammad Hafiz, Laxmi Ratan Shukla, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), Ajit Agarkar, Ashok Dinda, Ishant Sharma, Murali Kartik, Debabrata Das and Iqbal Abdullah.

I don't really know a lot about domestic Indian cricketers, but the bowling there looks a bit ordinary... especially Kolkata.

Ever heard of Murali Kartik. :@

Worst posters ever. :p

sideshowtim

Banned
Usually only international series are sticked and domestic comps aren't.
This is pretty big though. While it is techincally a domestic competition, it is going to draw interest from every single cricketing country due to the wide amount of international stars playing in it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member

It's interesting though that they've gone for stacking their batting with internationals and not their bowling.
Gayle, Dave Hussey and Hafez are all batting all rounders though, as is Ganguly. So I reckon they with play three main bowlers and let the batting all rounder bowl the rest of overs. Probably not the worst plan. Apart from the team with McGarth and Asif, most side have fairly weak bowling attacks.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Apart from the team with McGarth and Asif, most side have fairly weak bowling attacks.

Agreed... Bracken's injury is a big blow for Bangalore. I though he was one of the steals of the first auction given his international pedigree and that he should have been available for most of the tournament.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

Hey, isn't the first match between Bangalore and Kolkata?

Laurrz

International Debutant
cant wait! David Hussey likely to play it seems :D :D and White a good chance too ...will be interesting both of em playing agaisnt each other lol