• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India release squad for WTC and England Series

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Its amazing that we can actually have like 40 players who can play international cricket. :wub:

After the dark days of the 90s, this is just amazing.
Funny you phrase it that way, because I actually associate the dark days of England cricket with having lots and lots of players featuring in international cricket. They just weren't very good at it. When we were good we didn't need to try so many options.

I do take your point though. India do have crazy depth right now, in the bowling department especially for Tests and batting for the white ball stuff.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Funny you phrase it that way, because I actually associate the dark days of England cricket with having lots and lots of players featuring in international cricket. They just weren't very good at it. When we were good we didn't need to try so many options.

I do take your point though. India do have crazy depth right now, in the bowling department especially for Tests and batting for the white ball stuff.
Yeah, basically the thing is we now have players who are at least decent for the A level who cant even make it to the B team. Depth does not mean consistent dominance though, obviously. But its nice to have players who are international quality being left out coz there are too many of that quality, than have guys come in who were clearly not at that level like we had in the 90s.

Going through many players is a totally different thing though. :) FWIW, the 1998 side England sent out to play ODIs in Sharjah which was totally different from the test team apart from maybe 2 or 3 players was your best ODI side of the 90s and even 00s IMO. :D

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shami is still showing signs of rust coming back from the injury. Siraj is in red hot form. For the one off game, its important to play the blokes most likely to do well and in form. I wont even mind them dropping Gill for Mayank for the same reason. Or even open with Vihari if he is more used to the English conditions as he can be a nice foil to the aggressive Rohit.
Siraj seems like he’s getting better and better. It really is very very tempting.

Gill is my biggest worry.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Siraj seems like he’s getting better and better. It really is very very tempting.

Gill is my biggest worry.
Yeah, will almost be tempted to open with Vihari. But Gill deserves the chance to fail. Lets see how the practice internal games go.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What? No. Unlike Rohit, its generally a good bet that he'll only nick one after surviving a good number of balls first.
Yeah, true. He just needed an entire (disappointing) county stint in 2018 to come off. Not sure it's gonna work this time. Definitely better than Rohit. Just don't expect much from him this time.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he's not been in the greatest of form for a while now. Just balls of steel isnt usually enough when the entire lineup sucks in these conditions. Then again the game's at Southampton which is usually a relatively SC-like pitch where he scored that great ton in 2018.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Is there a batsman who's *not* a snicker? Or flicker? Or blocker? Silliest thing I have read all day.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Siraj with the dukes will be perhaps very very lethal. Ishant will also be great coz of his effectiveness against lefties. Bumrah as first change seems right.
Shami's problem is his length & doesn't pitches fuller enough to get the edges & plays n misses happen all the time. He should be the 4th pacer imo.

Gill & Rohit will start as openers. Jaddu & Ashwin will both play since its Rose Bowl which can be slowish at times as we saw last summer when Pakistan & Windies toured.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Sri lanka tour will happen now between WTC final & England tests.
India B team might be short on Pace reserves due to majority of them being in Engalnd but plenty of spin & batting options.

Dhawan Shaw Paddikal Kishan SKY Samson Hardik krunal/Tewatia Nitish Rana Bhuvi Natarajan Sakaria Saini Deepak Chahar
Rahul Chahar( In Top form) Chahal (last chance perhaps) Abdul Samad (Insane potential)
Iyer will walk straight in if fit

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Yes, Shami would be a dodgy call if he's picked in the XI. Shami not pulling his weight both in terms of wickets and economy last time was a major reason we lost the series.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Thoughts on the possible squad that travels to Lanka for LOIs?

Batsmen

Shaw, Dhawan, Padikkal, Ruturaj, Surya, Ishan, Samson, N Rana, Iyer, Manish Pande. A left field Keeper bat selection could be Andhra's Ricky Bhui.

All Rounders

Pandya, Dube, Lalit Yadav, Harshal Patel, Krunal, Shankar

Bowlers

Natarajan, Khaleel, Deepal Chahar, Rahul Chahar, Bhuvi, Saini, Bishnoi, Chahal
Hey no LO stuff in this thread. Real cricket only. :laugh: