• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Plays hard Ball with South Africa,,,

Dean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
India makes me so furious. The match fixing scandal was laid to rest five years ago… Why must Indian authorities dictate who South Africa can and cannot send to that country, especially seeing as though both Boje and Gibbs were cleared by the King Commission (which had the backing of the ICC and the UCB). Are India that threatened by a spinner who is not all that good in the first place…

Its funny how our government hasn’t banned or threatened to arrest Mohammed Azrhidin. There is something Basil de Olevira about all of this, and if money was not such a big issue in the modern game, I’d be calling for a boycott of this tour. I hope South Africa (the second best ODI team in the world) whip India. Cricket is not the winner here.
:@

greg

International Debutant
Dean said:
Are India that threatened by a spinner who is not all that good in the first place…
I doubt it. And so the rest of your analysis probably falls to pieces.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Dean said:
It just shows there is no logic in what they are doing...
Or perhaps the Indian authorities (NOT the BCCI) want to eliminate all traces of matchfixing and the like and so want to question Gibbs and Boje again? ..and here's a newsflash, a nation can decide who enters (and who doesn't enter) that nation - which isn't what they're trying to do anyway. Why are you getting so angry anyway??? IT reflects poorly on you that you would defend someone proven to be involved in this whole scandal (try and find an Indian defending Azhar) and then try and turn it into some sort of nationalistic argument.

archie mac

International Coach
Dasa said:
Or perhaps the Indian authorities (NOT the BCCI) want to eliminate all traces of matchfixing and the like and so want to question Gibbs and Boje again? ..and here's a newsflash, a nation can decide who enters (and who doesn't enter) that nation - which isn't what they're trying to do anyway. Why are you getting so angry anyway??? IT reflects poorly on you that you would defend someone proven to be involved in this whole scandal (try and find an Indian defending Azhar) and then try and turn it into some sort of nationalistic argument.
I think you are being a bit hard on Dean, I belive he has a valid point. What next India are going to say they will not let in proven drug cheats? Bye bye Shane Warne. (yes I know they have already let him in)

Back in the 60s we had protests against Doug Walters because of his involment in Vietnam (he never went to the Country), I think it would be much better for cricket to move on.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I think you are being a bit hard on Dean, I belive he has a valid point. What next India are going to say they will not let in proven drug cheats? Bye bye Shane Warne. (yes I know they have already let him in)
Wrong analogy..the correct analogy would be drug trafficking that is someone smuggles banned drugs to India and manages to leave the country before his suspect involvment is discovered then..Shane warne didn't smuggle drugs into India, he took something which is a banned substance in the sports world, but isn't considered against the law. He didn't break the law of the LAND.

And no, Dean doesn't have a point here. The fact is simple, Boje and Gibbs broke law in India, Indian police filed charges against them, if you want to go to India then either do what the police wants you to do or dont go.

archie mac

International Coach
Sanz said:
Wrong analogy..the correct analogy would be drug trafficking that is someone smuggles banned drugs to India and manages to leave the country before his suspect involvment is discovered then..Shane warne didn't smuggle drugs into India, he took something which is a banned substance in the sports world, but isn't considered against the law. He didn't break the law of the LAND.

And no, Dean doesn't have a point here. The fact is simple, Boje and Gibbs broke law in India, Indian police filed charges against them, if you want to go to India then either do what the police wants you to do or dont go.
Well Sanz if you are going to use that sort of logic we are going to struggle to have a debate :D

I still think the police are publicly grandstanding, in this case, and could have handled it a lot better.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The fact is simple, Boje and Gibbs broke law in India, Indian police filed charges against them, if you want to go to India then either do what the police wants you to do or dont go.
precisely, they should be thankful they havent received any sanctions or hearings by the ICC if you ask me.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
sledger said:
precisely, they should be thankful they havent received any sanctions or hearings by the ICC if you ask me.
Gibbs got a six month ban, along with Henry Williams, IIRC?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
in which case justice has been done to an extent, i was not aware of that. But none the less, cant blame the indian authorities, just serves gibbs and boje right if you ask me.

Slow Love™

International Captain
greg said:
I doubt it. And so the rest of your analysis probably falls to pieces.
LOL.

And the orientation of this thread is all wrong. Indian authorities aren't dictating who can or can't enter the country. The South Africans are asking for assurances that Boje and Gibbs won't be arrested or questioned, and the Indian police won't do so. So the South Africans decide they won't risk it and have them tour.

It has nothing to do with the Indian govt or authorities deciding not to allow people of "dubious character" into the country, or anything of the like. And comparing Gibbs and Boje's plight to D'Oliveira is a bit rich, IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Umm Gibbs and Boje are allowed in the country, the BCCI nor the government are saying they can't go. Hell I reckon once they finish answering the police questions they may get a free curry cooked for them.

Its Gibbs and Boje who don't want to go to India because they want to be questioned in a neutral location. Personally I think they just fear the curry.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Personally, I think Gibbs and Boje must have done something wrong. That is why they are afraid to be questioned by the police. I think their acts must prejudice opinions against them in a big way. Azhar and the others all got bans, but the point is, they weren't caught by the police. Cronje and his cronies were, and it seems a couple of them were sorta let off the hook and are now avoiding coming to India to make sure they avoid being found out.