• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India: Deserved of No. 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Dont be getting all be defensive now than Chappell has given his opinion on the matter...:laugh:

Because it was fairly obvious that SA deserved the number # 1 status based on there performance after they won in AUS. They should have been ranked # 1 that series, the ranking system was flawed for them also, since they didn't officially recieve the # 1 ranking until August this year when AUS lost the Ashes.
Ian Chappell? The same guy who thought Sachin Tendulkar should've retired and who thinks Tests should become 3 days day/night affairs? And whom, only 3% of Australians rate as a commentator of cricket?
( If testimony from random former cricketers is evidence, why don't you read what Tony Greig has to say on this topic? )

BTW Ian Chappell is on record on what he thinks is a great batsman - Sehwag, without disclaimers - meets that definition though Chappell was then comparing Viv Richards vs Boycott etc. Would quoting Ian Chappell be acceptable to you on that topic that you have strong opinions on?

I'm having a real hard time with the consistency of your arguments - and your paragraph on SA is prime evidence. On one hand performance, nay dominanace, over a long period of time is mandatory in your stated opinion. Even the 3 years that this current system is not good enough for you on such occasions.

At other times such as this, you want SA to have been handed the #1 ranking over a 2-1 series win when the history of that team over the 3 years before that included a 0-2 blowout against SL in SL, a series tie against India and a 0-3 blowout against Aus at home (and possibly a 0-2 blow out against Aus away).

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ian Chappell? The same guy who thought Sachin Tendulkar should've retired and who thinks Tests should become 3 days day/night affairs? And whom, only 3% of Australians rate as a commentator of cricket?
( If testimony from random former cricketers is evidence, why don't you read what Tony Greig has to say on this topic? )

BTW Ian Chappell is on record on what he thinks is a great batsman - Sehwag, without disclaimers - meets that definition though Chappell was then comparing Viv Richards vs Boycott etc. Would quoting Ian Chappell be acceptable to you on that topic that you have strong opinions on?

I'm having a real hard time with the consistency of your arguments - and your paragraph on SA is prime evidence. On one hand performance, nay dominanace, over a long period of time is mandatory in your stated opinion. Even the 3 years that this current system is not good enough for you on such occasions.

At other times such as this, you want SA to have been handed the #1 ranking over a 2-1 series win when the history of that team over the 3 years before that included a 0-2 blowout against SL in SL, a series tie against India and a 0-3 blowout against Aus at home (and possibly a 0-2 blow out against Aus away).
I don't see what is so complicated about understanding aussie's views on cricket.

Australia wins = them playing to potential.

Aussie batters/bowlers doing well = them playing to potential

Australia loses = them not playing to their potential, hence not a "real" result

Aussie batters/bowles not doing well = them not playing to potential, hence shud be discounted

Results of matches not involving Australia ----> Always shows Australia are #1.. If it doesn't, those matches can't be considered "contests" due to pitches, opposition, form or George Bush..

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see what is so complicated about understanding aussie's views on cricket.

Australia wins = them playing to potential.

Aussie batters/bowlers doing well = them playing to potential

Australia loses = them not playing to their potential, hence not a "real" result

Aussie batters/bowles not doing well = them not playing to potential, hence shud be discounted

Results of matches not involving Australia ----> Always shows Australia are #1.. If it doesn't, those matches can't be considered "contests" due to pitches, opposition, form or George Bush..

:laugh: ....war start MY TURNNNNN

Honestbharini's views on Indian cricket

India wins = Stop complaining about about the pitch Ricky...its was raining all month in IND its not our fault it was a bad pitch....**** you Ponting we the best noww

India batters/bowlers doing well = Yea ricky we got a better batting & we got a better bowling attack than you now...**** you

India loses = Well at least we can play spin better you Ricky **** you

Indian batters/bowlers not doing well - Well at least when we lose we dont whine like Ricky

End result India is the ****ing best in the nobody can debate that & we hate Rickyyyy...

:laugh: Tell me when you ready for round 2 deh uncle...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

India wins = Stop complaining about about the pitch Ricky...its was raining all month in IND its not our fault it was a bad pitch....**** you Ponting we the best noww

India batters/bowlers doing well = Yea ricky we got a better batting & we got a better bowling attack than you now...**** you

Indian batters/bowlers not doing well - Well at least when we lose we dont whine like Ricky

End result India is the ****ing best in the nobody can debate that & we hate Rickyyyy...

tbh, you are spot on.. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

You can also add in that it's completely impossible for him to be biased about absolutely anything because he says Lara was better than Tendulkar. :p

bagapath

International Captain
You can also add in that it's completely impossible for him to be biased about absolutely anything because he says Lara was better than Tendulkar. :p

but lara was. he was as much ahead of sachin as india is ahead of SA at the moment. the lead may be small but it definitely is there.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Disturbing lack of analysis regarding the role of Chris Broad and Nathan Hauritz in all this discussion tbh...

Dissector

International Debutant
South Africa won't be able to beat England in their own backyard. Now India officially deserves the no.1 spot. I have never loved England so much in my life.:wub:

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's definitely not a certainty, but we're pretty damn strong at home at the minute.

Also Dhoni has never lost at test match :cool:

jeevan

International 12th Man
You're just keeping it warm for us tbh
Don't want to make it too easy, so here's a short list of cities where England will not be playing tests any time soon:

Canberra
Christchurch
Colombo
Chittagong
Chennai
Chandigarh ,and just to be on the safe side...
Kolkata (formerly Calcutta)

Status
Not open for further replies.