• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India cancel Bangaldesh series

Sehwag309

Banned
Wisden Cricinfo staff

April 6, 2004

India's planned tour of Bangladesh in July has been indefinitely postponed, with the Indian board citing a "cramped schedule" as the reason. Despite this, the side will travel to the Netherlands in August for a tri-nations warm-up with Australia and Pakistan ahead of their one-day matches against England and the ICC Champions Trophy.

India were due to play two Tests and three ODIs in Bangladesh. Announcing the decision, S K Nair, the board secretary, said that he hoped that the series could be rearranged for 2005.

"The board was very keen to send a full strength team to Bangladesh but have decided against it as we don't want our cricketers to suffer burn out before an important four-match Test series against Australia in September", Nair explained. "Our cricketers will get hardly a month's break after the Pakistan tour. Major tournaments this year include the Asia Cup in June-July, the tri-nation tournament in Amsterdam from August 22-27, followed by three one-day matches in England before the Champions Trophy.

He added that South Africa are likely to tour India to play seven one-day matches in November this year. "If the South African Board agrees then we will invite them for a Test series in the beginning of next year."

India was scheduled to play two Tests and three ODIs in Bangladesh

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Funny how India can cancel a series and no one complains yet england are been threatened with a 1 year ban + fines for not touring. Maybe england should have cancelled the Zimbabwe Series citing 'player burnout' instead :)

V Reddy

International Debutant
SpaceMonkey said:
Funny how India can cancel a series and no one complains yet england are been threatened with a 1 year ban + fines for not touring. Maybe england should have cancelled the Zimbabwe Series citing 'player burnout' instead :)
That is the advantage of being a superpower in financial terms in Cricket. Not many would oppose you. The same can be said in all spheres of life really :yawn:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How disrespectful to Bangladesh is this?

They cannot play a tour like that, but can play ODI's in Holland (!) and England.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:

They cannot play a tour like that, but can play ODI's in Holland (!) and England.
It is quite disgraceful.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:

In no way is this disrespectful to Bangladesh. India went out of their way to play Bangladesh for their first test match, guaranteeing enormous revenues. (Though I'm sure many would have turned out anyway). Any country looks forward to a tour by India because of the financial windfall which accompanies it, so I think Bangladesh is not going to really look a gifthorse in the mouth.

And comparisons to England-Zimbabwe are not fair either. India is not saying, Bangladesh we don't like your government, change it. Nor has India just lured Bangladesh to tour them by promising a return visit, which England unfairly did to Zimbabwe. Surely the ECB knew then that they could not fill this promise, but yet they did not tell Zimbabwe to stay home. And yes, I know touring nations make money too, but I think the lure of an England tour was the factor which convinced the ZCU to tour them. India will tour Bangladesh when their players are rested. Bangladesh won't really be keen on getting an India "A" side for test matches will they?

Swervy

International Captain
this is most strange...

in my opinion, if your players are too tired to play or whatever...tough luck. If you have to field a weakened team because your top players are tired, then thats what you have to do...how many tests did India play in 2003..was it 4 or something.

Utterly diabolical

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:

the bangladesh series is called off not because of the above said series .its because of the pakistan series that came in between.
and they have played a lot of matches in between.

and if bangladesh have no problem with that y r u all botherd about it.its not the cas with the Zim Eng series Zim want england to tour

Sehwag309

Banned
I feel they should send a 1 or 2 top players and some youngsters, when will they get a chance!

But it's not sport here, it's sponsorship and TV rights. Not much to be made
Here in the US, They are showing Ind/Pak, and they show all India and almost all Pak matches,

Last time they offered Eng/Sa but not the current Eng/WI which is more in demand but since there is Ind/Pak, nobody cares about Eng/WI although I would have loved to watch it

Each Ind/Pak Package is $199, so they made their cut big time, and with Ind-2/Bang, hardly anything to be made

Swervy

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
I feel they should send a 1 or 2 top players and some youngsters, when will they get a chance!

But it's not sport here, it's sponsorship and TV rights. Not much to be made
Here in the US, They are showing Ind/Pak, and they show all India and almost all Pak matches,

Last time they offered Eng/Sa but not the current Eng/WI which is more in demand but since there is Ind/Pak, nobody cares about Eng/WI although I would have loved to watch it

Each Ind/Pak Package is $199, so they made their cut big time, and with Ind-2/Bang, hardly anything to be made
which is even more of a disgrace

Sehwag309

Banned
Swervy said:
which is even more of a disgrace
Whats wrong with that?, The senior team is exhausted and fankly even the public is exhausted seeing the team gettting injuries.

Whats wrong with giving youngsters a chance

Swervy

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
Whats wrong with that?, The senior team is exhausted and fankly even the public is exhausted seeing the team gettting injuries.

Whats wrong with giving youngsters a chance
oh no...i dont mean that...i agree with you ....

but it is disgraceful that the amount of money involved with TV right etc may have played a part in the decision

Sehwag309

Banned
Swervy said:
oh no...i dont mean that...i agree with you ....

but it is disgraceful that the amount of money involved with TV right etc may have played a part in the decision
Oh, I apologize. Yes that true, and it's not cheap to watch for Legitimate Subscribers of Satellite TV

Sehwag309

Banned
imranrabb said:
does anyone think india are scared of getting beaten by the great bangladeshis

:D
You don't know?, they can only play against the minnows such as Australia, they are too scared of the Mighty Bangladeshis

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
In no way is this disrespectful to Bangladesh.
So please explain how pulling out of a scheduled tour citing "too much cricket" then playing 2 lucrative One Day series isn't showing a lack of respect?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
koch_cha said:
the bangladesh series is called off not because of the above said series .its because of the pakistan series that came in between.
and they have played a lot of matches in between.
But they can still fit in a few Money-grabbing games, sorry I mean ODI's in.

koch_cha said:
and if bangladesh have no problem with that y r u all botherd about it.its not the cas with the Zim Eng series Zim want england to tour
I wouldn't mind betting that Bangladesh would like India to tour.

Besides, it looks like there'll be no boycott of Zimbabawe by England anyway :P