• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan vs Dale Steyn

Who was the greater fast bowler?

• Imran Khan

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Dale Steyn

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Yeah, this supports my theory that matches between ATGS will inevitably be low scoring affairs, since no batsman barring Bradman can be expected to withstand that kind of firepower for long unless its a flat pitch.

Which is why I am going for Imran, Hadlee, Marshall and Warne as my tail. The difference in bowling is minimal compared to the run value.
I made this point the other day in the WSC thread. We assume that matchups between two ATXI teams would be low scoring affairs because it only takes one ball and all that, and you have 4+ GOAT bowlers.

But the closest thing we have had to this - the WSC - were largely high scoring (at least when I checked averages).

The batsmen largely held their career average or were better, whereas the bowlers were largely worse.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I made this point the other day in the WSC thread. We assume that matchups between two ATXI teams would be low scoring affairs because it only takes one ball and all that, and you have 4+ GOAT bowlers.
That doesn't make much sense to me, I think the matches would look similar to normal matches number-wise but would just be far higher quality wise.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
That doesn't make much sense to me, I think the matches would look similar to normal matches number-wise but would just be far higher quality wise.
I think the argument is that there would be no pressure release point (except Steyn if you catch him on a bad day).

Same reason why I’d back the current Indian pace attack - made up of maybe one ATG potential and a bunch of other serviceable players - to regularly bowl out opposition for lesser scores than say an Imran Khan + 3 spuds.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

But the closest thing we have had to this - the WSC - were largely high scoring (at least when I checked averages).

The batsmen largely held their career average or were better, whereas the bowlers were largely worse.
It was a mixed bag really. The top three batsmen in WSC - G Chappell and the two Richards' - averaged higher than their career averages, but a lot of the others were lower. Lloyd, Greenidge, Chappelli, Fredericks and Zaheer Abbas for example all averaged in the 30s.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
It was a mixed bag really. The top three batsmen in WSC - G Chappell and the two Richards' - averaged higher than their career averages, but a lot of the others were lower. Lloyd, Greenidge, Chappelli, Fredericks and Zaheer Abbas for example all averaged in the 30s.
The true greats thriving on the top competition?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, this supports my theory that matches between ATGS will inevitably be low scoring affairs, since no batsman barring Bradman can be expected to withstand that kind of firepower for long unless its a flat pitch.

Which is why I am going for Imran, Hadlee, Marshall and Warne as my tail. The difference in bowling is minimal compared to the run value.
As much as I've come to understand the bat deep movement, I'll never understand how even minimal differences in bowling quality could be less impactful than contributions in their secondary role. For one spot, yeah, but down to 11, not so much.

subshakerz

International Coach
As much as I've come to understand the bat deep movement, I'll never understand how even minimal differences in bowling quality could be less impactful than contributions in their secondary role. For one spot, yeah, but down to 11, not so much.
Its really only Imran and Hadlee that matter. Marshall and Warne are the best bowlers anyways IMO so their runs are a plus.

Nikhil99.94

School Boy/Girl Captain
In a flat pitch all time team
Sf Barnes and Marshall open ,Tiger O Reilly is the spinner,Garner with the old ball have a left armer akram/Davidson mainly for variety.Larwood in for garner in my team tho cause I have a bit bias for Harold larwood.

Sorry to McGrath, warne ,murali, Ambrose ,hadlee,steyn tho all are super close of being in the team.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
First class, perhaps. Tests, no. Which is what we’re talking about here, no?
We are talking about abilities and fantasy 11s. I believe Procter is the greatest Bowling allrounder of alltime, only that he was unlucky to finish career with just 16 tests ( 7 official + 9 unofficial )

gftw

U19 12th Man
Yeah, if Imran retired around 87/88, this wouldnt be a debate, Imran would be a clear favorite and be a contender with Hadlee/Marshall. Those last few years where he was a proper bat and a part-time bowler took him down a notch. I still think he is better than Steyn though who was not as good as posters are making out to be.
Definitely not. Steyn would still win by a large margin if Imran retired by the end of like 1987, although Imran may get a few more votes. Its not like career average dropped by like 2-4. Was still averaging around 22.2 by the end of 1987.

Would probably be like 16-6 instead of 20-2. Maybe closer but Imran wouldn't be a "clear favorite".

subshakerz

International Coach
Definitely not. Steyn would still win by a large margin if Imran retired by the end of like 1987, although Imran may get a few more votes. Its not like career average dropped by like 2-4. Was still averaging around 22.2 by the end of 1987.

Would probably be like 16-6 instead of 20-2. Maybe closer but Imran wouldn't be a "clear favorite".
By his last great series in WI in 1988, he was averaging 21.9.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
We are talking about abilities and fantasy 11s. I believe Procter is the greatest Bowling allrounder of alltime, only that he was unlucky to finish career with just 16 tests ( 7 official + 9 unofficial )
99% of the time we’re talking about Test XI’s, unless otherwise stated.