• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IMO, Matthew Elliott was the unluckiest of the lost generation of Australian batsmen from the 90s/00s

Moss

International Vice-Captain
He made 90 odd in the 3rd test which they won. Have no idea why that meant he had to be dropped though.
This was the 3 three test series in early 1998, Slater's comeback when Elliott was dropped. The Delhi test was a one-off affair in 1996, just before the Titan Cup tri-series which included South Africa and the back-to-back home and away series against South Africa.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
90s Aus Wastemen XI:

Cox
Elliot
Love
Law
Lehmann
Bevan
Seccombe+
Bichel
Kasprowicz
MacGill
Angel

Weakish pace attack but that batting line up is easily better than anything Australia have put out in a long time.

Aritro

International Regular
Nah, guileful swing bowling is fundamentally un-Australian.

Large men delivering the ball from a great height ftw

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Elliott gets recalled in 1999 after Taylor finally realises he's past it. He comes up against Walsh and Ambrose at their home, stumbles and is dropped mid series. Gets one more test in 04 against SL, has to bat out of position at 3 and is dropped after 1 match.
He found Vaas on song. An umpiring blunder gave Langer not out in the first over after nicking the cover off it, so he would have been opening anyway. But he got some peaches from Vaas, eventually nicking it.

tony p

First Class Debutant
90s Aus Wastemen XI:

Cox
Elliot
Love
Law
Lehmann
Bevan
Seccombe+
Bichel
Kasprowicz
MacGill
Angel

Weakish pace attack but that batting line up is easily better than anything Australia have put out in a long time.
Piss over the current England team.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If umpire gives him out next innings when he shouldn't be out can he choose to not walk?

Nah never had an issue with someone not walking. You get too many **** decisions against you to not take one that goes your way

stephen

Yeah never give an inch as a batter. If the umpire doesn't call it, it's not out.

In my playing days I had one response when players from the posting team asked if I "really" nicked it if I wasn't given out - "well the umpire didn't think so, so I guess I didn't".

Same goes as a bowler. You get a bad call that goes your way it makes up for the hundred bad lbw decisions that go against you.

TheJediBrah

haha true it takes some pretty big balls to stand there and wait for the umps decision when it's that obvious

you look like a dick even if you are given out

I rate Stuart Broad massively for his nick to slip in 2013. Didn't gaf and Lehmann was still whinging about it a year later

He looked crap in ashes 97.
If I could comfortably top the batting averages and run aggregates for batsmen on both sides while "looking crap" I'd take it every day of the week

stephen

What's amazing is that Bichel, Kasprowicz and Angel have nearly 1300 shield wickets at a combined average of under 25. And if the complaints against Bichel and Kasprowicz were the green Gabba decks, you need to remember that they played in a side which had Hayden (average 55), Love (average 45), Law (average 43) and Maher (average 39) who all played in the same side and scored over 7500 shield runs each at the same time.

Also, having a favourable home deck didn't seem to help MacGill all that much, who averaged nearly 35 in the shield.

stephen

haha true it takes some pretty big balls to stand there and wait for the umps decision when it's that obvious

you look like a dick even if you are given out

I rate Stuart Broad massively for his nick to slip in 2013. Didn't gaf and Lehmann was still whinging about it a year later

If I could comfortably top the batting averages and run aggregates for batsmen on both sides while "looking crap" I'd take it every day of the week
The key is to learn how to never appear guilty. Move slowly, avoid eye contact, pretend to be annoyed that you missed the shot, scratch at the crease, look at the field like you're planning your next shot and never look behind.

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
What's amazing is that Bichel, Kasprowicz and Angel have nearly 1300 shield wickets at a combined average of under 25. And if the complaints against Bichel and Kasprowicz were the green Gabba decks, you need to remember that they played in a side which had Hayden (average 55), Love (average 45), Law (average 43) and Maher (average 39) who all played in the same side and scored over 7500 shield runs each at the same time.

Also, having a favourable home deck didn't seem to help MacGill all that much, who averaged nearly 35 in the shield.
GABBA has always tended to favour bowlers more then batsmen. Australian batsman have always batted well there.

GABBA was a cauldron for away batsmen during the 2000s.

gabba.png

TheJediBrah