• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If your 1st-string team doesn't go to the Ch Trophy, who would you replace them with?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
A slightly darker take on the usual "what's your 2nd XI". Given that, from what I've heard, Ryder and Franklin aren't gonna be selected, I'd imagine it'd be something like this for New Zealand.

Ryder
Guptill
Sinclair
Broom
Hay
Nichol
Van Wyk
Hiini
Franklin
Scott
O'Brien

We'd be able to post a slightly more competitive looking unit if it weren't for the ICL stealing all of our second (and in some place first) string players.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Now that is just disgusting censorship.
:censored:
OK, how about we call it "If your team is blown up in a non-terrorism related plane crash on the way to Pakistan, who would you replace them with?".

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Whats wrong with the thread? Seeing as its likely there's gonna be lots of players pulling out, isn't it predictable, not to mention logical, for a member of a cricket forum to ask who would you send instead? In the first post he didn't say "If your team gets blown up by evil Muslims..." etc etc. He said a darker take o nthe 2nd XI, which is odd, but I don't see the word "bomb" in that post.

However from the looks of it, judging by Bahnz later comments somebody has done some editing on his posts but for now I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

pasag

RTDAS
Whats wrong with the thread? Seeing as its likely there's gonna be lots of players pulling out, isn't it predictable, not to mention logical, for a member of a cricket forum to ask who would you send instead? In the first post he didn't say "If your team gets blown up by evil Muslims..." etc etc. He said a darker take o nthe 2nd XI, which is odd, but I don't see the word "bomb" in that post.

However from the looks of it, judging by Bahnz later comments somebody has done some editing on his posts but for now I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.
Thread title was originally 'If your team gets blown up at the Champions Trophy, who would you replace them with?'

Flem274*

123/5
Thread title was originally 'If your team gets blown up at the Champions Trophy, who would you replace them with?'
Knowing Bahnz as a slightly morbid person (never seen him positive about anything, ever :p) that title doesn't surprise me.

Actualy laughed at that title tbh, but I'm not really taking the bomb thing in Pakistan seriously. Doubt he meant it maliciously, but on a forum such as this yeah thats an inappropriate title. Oh well, its edited now.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'll do it slightly different and not include the original 30 selected plus Hilf who is injured..

1 Phil Hughes
2 Michael Dighton
3 Luke Pomersbach
4 Travis Birt
5 Dominic Thornley
6 Daniel Marsh (c)
7 Chris Hartley
8 Peter Siddle
9 Bryce McGain
10 Steve Magoffin
11 Dirk Nannes

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'll do it slightly different and not include the original 30 selected plus Hilf who is injured..

1 Phil Hughes
2 Michael Dighton
3 Luke Pomersbach
4 Travis Birt
5 Dominic Thornley
6 Daniel Marsh (c)
7 Chris Hartley
8 Peter Siddle
9 Bryce McGain
10 Steve Magoffin
11 Dirk Nannes
That side would get absolutely pumped. Paine in for Hartley imo, despite not being that good an OD player Hartley is just crap all-round.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That side would get absolutely pumped. Paine in for Hartley imo, despite not being that good an OD player Hartley is just crap all-round.
Mate Paine is in the 30 man squad
FTR: Preliminary squad:
Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, George Bailey, Doug Bollinger, Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark, Dan Cullen, Xavier Doherty, Brett Geeves, Ryan Harris, Brad Haddin, Nathan Hauritz, Matthew Hayden, Brad Hodge, James Hopes, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Phil Jaques, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Shaun Marsh, Ashley Noffke, Tim Paine, Luke Ronchi, Andrew Symonds, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

Flem274*

123/5

1 Phil Hughes
2 Michael Dighton
3 Luke Pomersbach
4 Travis Birt
5 Dominic Thornley
6 Daniel Marsh (c)
7 Chris Hartley
8 Peter Siddle
9 Bryce McGain
10 Steve Magoffin
11 Dirk Nannes
Top order looks alright, rest is iffy though.

I'll base mine on the gorunds that only the first XI has pulled out, but squad members from the 15 and 30 still want to go.

First XI (for reference)

How
McCullum
Taylor
Fulton
Flynn
Oram
Elliott
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Gillespie

2nd XI

Jesse Ryder (c)
Martin Guptill
Bradley Watling
Greg Hay
Neil Broom
Rob Nicol
Kruger Van Wyk (w)
James Franklin
Brandon Hiini
Michael Mason
Brent Arnel

Bradley Scott
Chris Martin
Matthew Sinclair
Aaron Redmond

Was tempted to give Van Wyk captaincy but he hasn't played any international cricket so it'd be unfair.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Top order looks alright, rest is iffy though.
Yeah it doesn't look a great side, but remember 31 of our best players not are not included.

We've also had a stack of retirements recently, and most of the new talent actually made the 30 man squad, players such as Bailey, Paine et al.

Someone who I did forget was Andy Bichel, he'd probably get a run ahead of Siddle.

IMO Magoffin is very underrated. Nannes is a good one day bowler, McGain was leading wicket tacker last year.

If I picked a side away from the best XI of:
Hayden
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Haddin
Hopes
Lee
Johnson
Bracken

My 2nd XI
Marsh
Hopes
Hodge
Katich
D Hussey
White
Ronchi
Noffke
Hauritz
Tait
Clark

It's pretty tough to even know who the best XI currently are.
I would like Hayden to retire from ODIs really, so if that happened Marsh would move up and Jaques would move into the 2nd team.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Mate Paine is in the 30 man squad
FTR: Preliminary squad:
Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, George Bailey, Doug Bollinger, Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark, Dan Cullen, Xavier Doherty, Brett Geeves, Ryan Harris, Brad Haddin, Nathan Hauritz, Matthew Hayden, Brad Hodge, James Hopes, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Phil Jaques, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Shaun Marsh, Ashley Noffke, Tim Paine, Luke Ronchi, Andrew Symonds, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges, Shane Watson, Cameron White.
Well **** me. Wouldn't have had him near it personally, suppose it shows the lack of experienced depth in the WK department. I would've thought even Crosswaithe would be there ahead of him.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cudgen Cricket Club's 1st Grade XI

It would go something like this

1. Terry Wilson ('The Gnome')
2. Chad Harvey ('Harvs')
3. Craig Wilson ('Hubba')
4. Heath Wilson ('Keithy')
5. Lowey ('Lowey')
6. Jamie Wilson ('Stepchild')
7. Chris Moase ('Mocca')
8. Mick Anderson ('Ando')
9. Lee Stevenson ('Red Dog')
10. Josh Caligiari ('Calimari')
11. Jason Wilson ('Flash')

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Trouble being that you can't really know who'd go and who wouldn't, so you can't really name a "XI of players who would go".

In any case, England First XIs in ODIs are depressing enough - the fact that a Second XI would probably be stronger (if selected by me, rather than the selectors, that is) makes it just too depressing to contemplate.

brockley

International Captain
I would take the emerging aussie academy give them some experience,they had a wonderful emerging series,and has lots of talent.