• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you could get rid of one thing from the cricketing scene...

If you could get rid of one thing:

• Total voters

yaju

State Vice-Captain
Gun thread, Zac.

I'd go with Sledging, as Cricket is known to be Gentlemen's Game. Franchise Leagues are good as they bring in the money which is required for developing quality coaching facilities and stadiums. Batsmen friendly pitches should be there, as there as several bowler friendly pitches as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Out of curiosity, when did you start watching cricket? Its not that recent a phenomenon, and I don't believe its that much more prominent than 5 years ago.
Started watching in mid-2003 IIRR. Possibly early.

I'd say the problem has really become a problem (ie, too much power, not enough technique) in, well, yes, the same time so much else of too much with the bat, too little with the ball, started: 2001\02. Though the signs were there a while before that.

TBH, a few decent seam-friendly balls and pitches would soon sort the men from the boys there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, yeah, of course, but lesser bowlers would do better were the equipment at their disposal more helpful.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Lack of warm-up games, I'd love a return to proper old-style tours so that Test series actually mean something rather than just being crammed in. It won't happen though.

That was on a fairly level par with batsmen-friendly conditions, the two together make for terrible tours. Oh and keep us to 3 ODIs per series, rising to 5 if less than 4 Tests are played. And one Twenty20 per tour as well.

Can't say any of the other issues really fuss me that much. Sledging perhaps, but umpires are part of the game, and so any errors made by them also are.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
5 Tests, 5 ODIs and 2 Twenty20s are the way to go. With warmup games. I worked out a good schedule for a tour of Australia a while ago, cba to get it though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh and keep us to 3 ODIs per series, rising to 5 if less than 4 Tests are played. And one Twenty20 per tour as well.
I hate, absolutely hate 3-ODI series. Most pointless things ever. For years and years England just played 3 ODIs per home summer, it was never anywhere near enough, and it took 30 years to realise that.

All bilateral ODI series should be of 5 matches, IMO. Between ODI-standard teams, that is. Obviously be better if people didn't have to play those pesky ODIs against Bangladesh. :dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
5 Tests, 5 ODIs and 2 Twenty20s are the way to go. With warmup games. I worked out a good schedule for a tour of Australia a while ago, cba to get it though.
I hope it went something like this:

(All dates circa 3 or 4 days)
March-April - Australian tour to wherever finishes, no more cricket for their players until their home season starts in October.
1 September - international season finishes.
22 September - domestic season finishes.
23 September - 9 October - no Champions Trophy or other ODI tournament
10 October - team fly for Australia.
12-17 October - acclimatisation, jetlag shaking-off, nets, 12-a-side pipe-opener against PM's\CA Chairman's XII at Allan Border Field.
18-21 October - 11-a-side game vs NSW\SA\Vic.
24-27 October - 11-a-side game vs SA\NSW\Vic.
31 October - 2 November - 11-a-side game vs Qld.
5-9 November - First Test, The 'Gabba.
12-14 November - 11-a-side game vs Tas.
19-23 November - Second Test, Bellerive Oval.
27-30 November - 11-a-side game vs Vic\SA\NSW.
1-5 December - Third Test, Adelaide Oval.
7-10 December - 11-a-side game vs WA.
12-16 December - Fourth Test, The WACA.
18-21 December - 11-a-side game vs Aus A at Canberra.
26-30 December - Fifth Test, The MCG.
2-6 January - Sixth Test, The SCG
11 January - 11-a-side game vs Qld\NSW\Vic\SA\Tas.
13 January - 11-a-side game vs NSW\Vic\Qld\SA\Tas.
16 January - 11-a-side game vs Aus A at Canberra.
18 January - 10 February - C&U\VB\CB Series (yeah, I know it HAS been abandonded, but I wish it hadn't been), 3 rounds, 3 (scheduled) finals.
11-12 February - England depart for home, with NO WORLD CUP or any other cricket until pre-season starts in early\mid-March.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'd get rid of speakers and steel/wooden advertising boards being placed ridiculously close to the boundary rope. In the State Shield final on Sunday, one speaker was no more than a foot away from the rope - just asking for trouble.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd get rid of speakers and steel/wooden advertising boards being placed ridiculously close to the boundary rope. In the State Shield final on Sunday, one speaker was no more than a foot away from the rope - just asking for trouble.
Loots Bosman would second that. Got a nasty dislocated shoulder when he collided with an advertising board fielding against Zimbabwe.

R_D

International Debutant
Flat pitches & batsman friendly conditions for me and also sledging..... its too much trouble.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Can you expand please. I'm genuinely unsure of what it is you're talking about or how it relates to the cricketing scene.

Edit: Ahh probably quotas, but still correct me if I'm wrong on this one.
Actually quotas were far from my mind but they could be included.

Basically I was talking about the attitudes that prevail in cricket are are based around complaining, blaming other people and blindly seeing yourself as badly treated.

The examples I had been thinking about specifically (though there are far more)

Was this- Which annoyed the hell out of me.

The complaints a number of sides are having over IPL, and ICL. Its competition and if you want your players make them feel appreciated. They are not owned by the boards.

And the fact that umpires are getting banned from games, teams are threatening tours and Tests have been in danger.

After I posted my original post this was added. If he was being serious then its a perfect example.
Malcom Speed and some other baised and racest icc memebers who makes decision based on skin color still despite living in 21 century..
Basically we are living a cricketing world where complaining, throwing strops and the "Woe is me" attitude is common place.

Basically far too much bitching and complaining far out of proportion to any issue.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually quotas were far from my mind but they could be included.

Basically I was talking about the attitudes that prevail in cricket are are based around complaining, blaming other people and blindly seeing yourself as badly treated.

The examples I had been thinking about specifically (though there are far more)

Was this- Which annoyed the hell out of me.

The complaints a number of sides are having over IPL, and ICL. Its competition and if you want your players make them feel appreciated. They are not owned by the boards.

And the fact that umpires are getting banned from games, teams are threatening tours and Tests have been in danger.

After I posted my original post this was added. If he was being serious then its a perfect example.

Basically we are living a cricketing world where complaining, throwing strops and the "Whoa is me" attitude is common place.

Basically far too much bitching and complaining far out of proportion to any issue.
That'd be "Woe is me.". :) Point remains valid, though.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
No option for "posters and commentators with dire, outdated opinions and random predicitons" disappointing.