• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Starc makes ODI ATXI , which bowler will most like miss out ?

Bowler most likely to miss out if Starc makes ODI ATXI

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Ponting
Kohli
DeVilliers
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

Could replace Wasim as similar but I’m sticking with Wasim I think. Kills me not putting Symonds in.
Garner and McGrath are probably more similar than Wasim and Starc are tbh. Nothing wrong with selecting two left armers if you think they're both worth their spot in the XI.

Flem274*

123/5
It's hard to go wrong with the ODI ATG attack because there are so many near equal options.

When looking for small differences to separate players though, bowlers with extreme success since 2007 or so get added respect in my book for reasons similar to why Viv Richards is so insanely awesome for his time.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Ponting
Kohli
DeVilliers
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

Could replace Wasim as similar but I’m sticking with Wasim I think. Kills me not putting Symonds in.
Replace Mcgrath with Pollock and Ponting with Abbas and then it's perfect

Socerer 01

International Captain
Shami took lots of weak late innings powerplay wickets when teams were trying to smash runs. Not as good as the average suggests.
idk about 2015 but this isn’t true in 2019. he was the reason why England didn’t score above 350. they were well on track for it when he took out both centurion Bairstow and Morgan quickly around the 30th over. again he took out Root in the death overs when he started to accelerate and then Buttler before he did a more crazy finish. he was expensive but no bowler in modern odi is going to have an economical day unless they are freaks like Bumrah and wickets >> runs in odis these days. against West Indies he took out Gayle and Hope in the powerplay and dented their chase significantly before coming back to finish the job on Hetmyer at the end

Afghanistan was the one time he statpadded with a hattrick in the last over. he wasn’t good against Bangladesh but that doesn’t excuse dropping him in the semis

Ali TT

International Debutant
People don't realise just how good Starc is yet. You can't complain (rightly) about the era of mega scores and then look at Starc and think 'not great' or dare I say it 'not GOAT'.

Trent Boult runs Shane Bond closer in my estimation than many would think. If you can average sub-25 with good ER and back it up at World Cups in this era then you are pretty incredible.
It's hard to go wrong with the ODI ATG attack because there are so many near equal options.

When looking for small differences to separate players though, bowlers with extreme success since 2007 or so get added respect in my book for reasons similar to why Viv Richards is so insanely awesome for his time.
Not sure how you compare a modern ODI bowler to one from the 70s and 80s. The former has to have about a dozen different change ups in their arsenal, whereas for Garner this change up was probably pitching one on a good length rather than short...

I guess Starc stands out in the modern era for not having to rely so much on change ups but succeeds because of his ability to consistently bowl fast, accurate and swing it.

subshakerz

International Coach
Starc is highly overrated, sorry.

Averages well over 30 against India, England and SA, the best batting sides of the era.

I think I would take Waqar over Starc if not for WC 2015.

Lol at those thinking of switching Wasim for Starc. Wasim is the greatest death bowler of all-time IMO.

subshakerz

International Coach
Have a lower ER in ODI cricket is much more valuable than in tests, simply because of how it impacts the rest of the attack and the pressure you build. A lot of Waqar's wickets for example were taken from pressure built by Wasim at the other end.

Hence why guys like McGrath, Wasim, Garner and Pollock are better than Starc.