• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC-Strong or Weak

Is the ICC a

• Weak,spineless body

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Strong,capable body

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • In between

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

shankar

International Debutant
What do you guys think abt. the ICC...Do you think it's

1.a weak,spineless body incapable of taking strong decisions for the advancement of the game.

2.a strong,capable body that is taking the right steps for the game.

3.in between.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ICC certainly make some dire mistakes.
However, they have more than their share of impossible positions.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I would say weak, primarily becuase of the Muralitharan issue - after all, he is still bowling with that ridiculous action.

Even though you read comments by individuals expressing concern, the body as a whole is gutless and weak.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
The ICC have a bastard of a job......and they make their mistakes and shut up about certain issues when they should speak about it.....but it is tough in this day and age of cricket.....

I reckon the ICC do a reasonable job.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Of course, imagine cricket without the ICC (bit like the world without the UN - chaos, pre-emptive wars) - they do have a tough job, but there are a lot of vested interests that affect certain decisions......

Langeveldt

Soutie
In between IMHO...

Bad points

1. Zimbabwe situation.. maybe they should have come down hard, maybe they shouldnt.. who knows..

2. Bangladesh - So allowing a team into the test arena on the back of one ODI victory (that was suspicious) is acceptable is it? now we have a problem team, rooted to the very bottom...

3. Muralis Action - nuffs been said about this on here anyway...

4. The ten year plan - So giving players a crippling workload, ensuring burnout, fatigue, and a lack of interest in the game is a good thing is it???

Good points

Im particularly impressed by their efforts to globalise cricket.. Its essential that the game is promoted to a wide audience, and they are doing this quite nicely...

I think they dealt with the match fixing issue as well as they could.. Obviously nothing good will ever come out of it, but they seemed to have got the world of cricket on track again..

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Bad points

2. Bangladesh - So allowing a team into the test arena on the back of one ODI victory (that was suspicious) is acceptable is it? now we have a problem team, rooted to the very bottom...
Hey, at least it gives the rest of the worlds cricketers the chance to greatly improve their statistics :lol:

Seriously, yeah it was a huge mistake by the ICC by granting Bangladesh Test status.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
4. The ten year plan - So giving players a crippling workload, ensuring burnout, fatigue, and a lack of interest in the game is a good thing is it???
Actually, the 10 year plan calls for each team to play each other home and away in a series of at least 2 matches.

That calls for 72 matches in 10 years.

It is not the ICC's fault if individual boards play more than that.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Kenny said:
I would say weak, primarily becuase of the Muralitharan issue - after all, he is still bowling with that ridiculous action.

Even though you read comments by individuals expressing concern, the body as a whole is gutless and weak.
The ICC has cleared Murali officially. A technical panel has deemed his action to be legit.

Now what more do you expect the ICC to do ?
I suspect "strong action" according to you Kenny would be to ban him for being a chucker right ? -- based on the "observations" of a couple of Aussie umpires.

Well the ICC overruled those umpired based on the advice they received from the panel -- so that's the end of the matter.
Their action on this is what I wouldn't call "weak".

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Whatever you say James.......there were fresh concerns raised during the recent England - Sri Lanka series, after which an ICC official (can't remember who, unfortunately) went into print with "Just because he has been cleared once, doesn't mean he is cleared forever"

All cricket lovers should hope not. It's a disgrace and an embarrasment to the game.

So yes, the ICC has been absolutely **** weak on the issue, which will never go away, unless one of two things happen.
1) he starts bowling with a legitimate action.
2) He is banned until he does.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny, he does bowl with a legitimate action.

If you ask me the "disgrace and embarrassment to the game" is people refusing to accept that.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Well I do accept the fact that his action was cleared for reasons other then whether it is legitimate or not - the threat of a break-away sub continental competition for one, plus those pre-emptive accusations of racism from that idiot Ranatunga.......

Seriously, there are many players, commentators, and past umpires who have openly criticised Murali's bowling action - and they are only the ones that have made it into the media!! I am by no means an orphan here......but then you already knew that.

We are all entitled to our opinions anyway - I think his action is clearly illegal - so clearly so that it is farcical - you do not. Fair enough.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And the scientists have more evaluative techniques than most of us can dream of.
I can tell his action is legal from a good amount of footage - they can tell it is legal from footage and God knows what else.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
"Independent scientists???" :lol:
Pleeasse.......like I said, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion - I believe in UFO's, after all.