• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I thought Wasim Akram would've averaged higher

Jumno

U19 Captain
His two sixes in the WC SF 87

Three sixes in Perth

His knock in the 92 world cup final

Other cameos

He seemed like an all rounder or someone who could get a 30 most of the time.

Maybe mid way through his career after 95, he batted at number eight and had to hit out or get out?

Thought in odis he would've averaged around 23-28.

Jumno

U19 Captain
If hitting sixes relative to anything else was important, then Nixon McLean would've been a great batsman. Are you making these threads just to get a rise out of people?
No, I think some of those threads are great debates.

I actually thought he had batting prowess and thought he would've averaged higher in odis. He does have 6 50s.

Lara is favourite batsman and I rate Tendulkar ahead of him, I'm a big big admirer of Sachin. however the thread regarding his ability to play under pressure, for sure, their was back the day, some debate, question of that ability.

smash84

The Tiger King

Three sixes in Perth

Other cameos

Maybe mid way through his career after 95, he batted at number eight and had to hit out or get out?

Besides the 6 hitting, which doesn't really say much, Wasim could have been a genuine all rounder if he had focused a bit more on his batting. Unfortunately he didn't and hence wasn't as good as the potential he showed.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Batting down the order in ODIs is death on your batting average. You do what's best for the team and most of the time end up with 6 (9) or something with an occasional 30 (25). If you average >25 batting 8 or lower you're either a gun or batting selfishly

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I dunno, Phil Tufnell averaged 15 against 5 in tests.

With a top score of 5*.
Definitely can happen. Usually a sample size thing and, my theory: often the result of a genuine tailender consistently getting left not out when the other guy throws it away. And they don't take the risks because they're trying to get the other guy on strike

And as with most trends, there will be exceptions. No trends are universally true

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Batting down the order in ODIs is death on your batting average
I always say that argument on influence of playing down the order on batting average gets made either ways depending on the day. When Dhoni or Bevan is discussed, invariably we have people casually making argument that playing down the order helps their average.

TheJediBrah

I always say that argument on influence of playing down the order on batting average gets made either ways depending on the day. When Dhoni or Bevan is discussed, invariably we have people casually making argument that playing down the order helps their average.
I meant right down the order, like 8 or lower. Batting 5 or 6 is completely different and you can knock up a decent average by being not out at the end of a lot of run chases.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne, Wasim and Vaas all have toilet tier batting averages in ODI and all seem way better than that

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also for some reason TC didn't mention the 257*

That alone as a kid made me think Wasim was basically an all rounder

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I meant right down the order, like 8 or lower. Batting 5 or 6 is completely different and you can knock up a decent average by being not out at the end of a lot of run chases.
Wait till we talk about someone like Yuvraj and hear that his average is very good for someone who batted 5 or 6

TheJediBrah

Wait till we talk about someone like Yuvraj and hear that his average is very good for someone who batted 5 or 6
You can't compare everyone to Dhoni and Bevan, they are particularly skilled players. It's still a general rule in white-ball cricket that the higher you bat, the better it is.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Batting down the order in ODIs is death on your batting average. You do what's best for the team and most of the time end up with 6 (9) or something with an occasional 30 (25). If you average >25 batting 8 or lower you're either a gun or batting selfishly
Tom curran is a goat then. Higher test and odi batting average then imran khan.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Three sixes in Perth

Other cameos

Why? Vettori only 17.33 in ODIs