• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I hate Sreesanth

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Don't forget... His gem in the 2004 tour of India to Australia..

"Someone like VVS Laxman is scared of fast bowling"...
Common HB, you can't take that kind of statements seriously, it is all part of pre-series built up. Hayden is not the only player who says that kind of stuff, Warnie also said something about Indian batsmen facing some 'chin music'.

Smith

Banned
Common HB, you can't take that kind of statements seriously, it is all part of pre-series built up. Hayden is not the only player who says that kind of stuff, Warnie also said something about Indian batsmen facing some 'chin music'.
Double standards :laugh:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hayden was having a joke at the expense of someone by calling that person 'an obnoxious weed' not to forget Mocking accent publicly can be taken as a racist joke which is far more serious than what Symonds said.
when insults are made through media of international sportsmen by fellow international sportsmen who are supposed to set behave decently, it does become precious...

Don tell me you wanna see the day when every other player is calling each other names in radio, TV and internet.....

These men get paid huge amounts to do a job that most people would love to do and these responsibilities come as part of that... You don't fulfill it, you don't deserve all the good stuff either.
Adopting a mocking or exaggerated accent can, I agree, constitute part of a racist action depending on what exactly is said and how, although I think they generally merely fall into the category of lazy and unfunny.

As for the rest, surely by now we've learnt that an ability at sport is probably almost the opposite of a recommendation of someone as a role-model. Why do we care how these people behave off the field, so long as they don't break any laws? Until moral rectitude or manners are introduced as a selection criteria to get into a sporting team, its ludicrous to expect sportsmen to demonstrate either to any greater degree than the rest of society. In fact, they'll probably demonstrate less, given they'll tend to have overly developed competitive and aggressive tendencies and significant egos.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why do we care how these people behave off the field, so long as they don't break any laws?
Because whether the people responsible and the people who aren't involved (like yourself) like it or not, such people are imitated by the impressionable (don't get yourself thinking it's the young and impressionable either - not only the young are impressionable).

If impressionable people see Andrew Symonds and Shane Warne and the like behaving like utter nincompoops, they're going to be more likely to do so themselves.

And we can all do without that.

If you can't set a good example you don't deserve the rewards that fame brings, IMO.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Then really, intelligence and manners should be announced and enacted as selection criteria. Otherwise, we're being quite unfair to the Symonds et al of the world.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Symonds et al are dickheads, IMO, and deserve any unfairness that comes their way.

But BTW intelligence isn't a requistite for decency.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't see the big deal about accents being mocked, personally. Mine is routinely mocked, including round these parts. Meh.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah mocking accents in a fun way is really harmless. We do it at school all the time with the asian lads and we get it back just the same. I guess it is different when friends do it to each other, but I think a big deal is being made about it.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah mocking accents in a fun way is really harmless. We do it at school all the time with the asian lads and we get it back just the same. I guess it is different when friends do it to each other, but I think a big deal is being made about it.
Yeah, Harbhajan, Ishant and Hayden are the closest of buddies.:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't see the big deal about accents being mocked, personally. Mine is routinely mocked, including round these parts. Meh.
If you're mocking a foreign accent and you don't know the person concerned, clearly it gives a xenophobic inference. You may well not intend such a thing, but if you don't know the person in question well, obviously going to leave the possibility open for them to interpret it that way and you can't be surprised if they (or others who don't know you) do.

Remember, xenophobia = prejudice against something foreign because of the fact it is foreign.

Hayden may or may not have been being xenophobic when mocking Ishant Sharma's accent. Whether he was or not, however, his act was of deplorable poor form.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Chin Music is different... If he says he was not comfortable or he finds it difficult to play short pitch bowling, I can understand.

"Scared" (and that was a direct quote, btw) is juz wrong on so many levels...

And look, I have seen this guy against India for a very long time now and it is easy to see he is a real pig, juz as much as Symonds, Sree and Harby have been...

Sree called Hayden and Ponting best batsmen in the world and that it was an honour to be bowling to them at a young age of 23... It doesn't cancel out the stupid stuff he said otherwise, does it? It is the same with Hayden.. He has made sporting comments in the past but there is juz too much heat involved between these four in Indo-Australian encounters that I know he is no angel and that he was juz wating for an opportunity to have a go back at Sree...

BTW, plz don confuse this as me not condoning Sree's stupidity. Regardless of the batsman, his behaviour was stupid of the highest order and he completely deserved the public humiliation that Haydos gave him...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chin Music is different... If he says he was not comfortable or he finds it difficult to play short pitch bowling, I can understand.

"Scared" (and that was a direct quote, btw) is juz wrong on so many levels...
It's an attempted patronising comment, which towards a player as good as Laxman is plain ignorant, but not really any more than that.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
As long as Dhoni's in charge I don't think we'll see Sreesanth too near the Indian side so the international community probably just has to grin and bear it while the circus is in town.

adharcric

International Coach
I'd love to see Sreesanth back in the test side if he can stay focused on cricket and cut out the bull. Right now, he shouldn't be anywhere near it but I'd be very happy if he worked his way back to the top through consistent performances - would be quite a success story given his troubles thus far. Fortunately, RP Singh may be returning to form so we'll have an alternative to Munaf in the near future.

Last edited: