• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I Found This Very Interesting

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
No names will be included here as it was told to me in confidence.

I was chatting to a mate of mine who is an ex-test player and the conversation got around to players that were idiots.

To cut a long story short he said that players that incur injuries in the nets (especially blows to the helmet) usually haven't and that it is a well used excuse for a player getting beaten up or being involved ina bar brawl.

Its an easy way to prevent the press finding out and to cover up the real story for the injuries.

He mentioned 2 guys that he played with that this excuse was used for and therefore kept in house.

As he said "We never bounce in nets as it can leave you a man down on tour"

So the next time you hear of a player returning home or missing a test due to being hit in the nets think twice :)

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Mark Vermeulen, and he certainly seems the type to get into a stupid fight. Fits in with the theme of "players who were idiots" as well!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Vermeulen's probably got a borderline personality disorder to be honest, so he's waaaay beyond the usual "sports star being a tool" gubbins.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Mark Vermeulen, and he certainly seems the type to get into a stupid fight. Fits in with the theme of "players who were idiots" as well!
More than a little out of order when the majority of his troubles (all the key ones, anyway) have happened after his skull was fractured twice. Maybe you should keep your ideas on mental health to yourself if you're that sympathetic to people with mental problems. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thought he was currently in some sort of custody?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No names will be included here as it was told to me in confidence.

I was chatting to a mate of mine who is an ex-test player and the conversation got around to players that were idiots.

To cut a long story short he said that players that incur injuries in the nets (especially blows to the helmet) usually haven't and that it is a well used excuse for a player getting beaten up or being involved ina bar brawl.

Its an easy way to prevent the press finding out and to cover up the real story for the injuries.

He mentioned 2 guys that he played with that this excuse was used for and therefore kept in house.

As he said "We never bounce in nets as it can leave you a man down on tour"

So the next time you hear of a player returning home or missing a test due to being hit in the nets think twice :)
TBH I can't think of all that many cases in my lifetime of players who've been said to have been hit in the head in the nets.

In the arms and knees, yeah. Head, no.

Am open to the memory being jogged, though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thought he was currently in some sort of custody?
How does that detract from my point though? He's the only player I can recall, off the top of my head, to claim to have been hit in the nets - hence I thought he might be one of the players Goughy's friends were referring to (especially since the topic strayed from "cricketers who were idiots" - a topic which could quite conceivably have Vermeulen's name appear during).

HDS said:
More than a little out of order when the majority of his troubles (all the key ones, anyway) have happened after his skull was fractured twice. Maybe you should keep your ideas on mental health to yourself if you're that sympathetic to people with mental problems.
And again, with this post, I think people may have missed my point entirely. I wasn't having a dig at his mental condition - merely pointing out that he had indeed claimed to be hit in the nets (by Travis Friend IIRC) and would be one likely to be mentioned alongside "players who were idiots" due to his recent headlining actions.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How does that detract from my point though? He's the only player I can recall, off the top of my head, to claim to have been hit in the nets - hence I thought he might be one of the players Goughy's friends were referring to (especially since the topic strayed from "cricketers who were idiots" - a topic which could quite conceivably have Vermeulen's name appear during).
Have just re-read the exchange, thought you were suggesting Kev was speaking to Vermeulen. Not neccessarily the case. My mistake.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Have just re-read the exchange, thought you were suggesting Kev was speaking to Vermeulen. Not neccessarily the case. My mistake.
Right, okay. In answer to your question though, he isn't in custody - he's out on bail and actually played a bit of club cricket a few months back.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I can recall a few Test players (mainly bowlers) getting broken fingers, wrists etc in nets, but not many head blows.

On the other hand, on the AFL Footy Show this week they had Ricky Ponting as a guest and decided to do a "joke" net session with Ponting batting to some AFL players, and Jonathon Brown (for non-Aussies, a star of Aussie Rules footy, he's about 6'8" and would way 100kg) decided to come in off the long run and nearly copped Ponting on the head. Punter didn't look too happy given he only had gloves and the bat and had only had one sighter beforehand - that would have been embarrassing.

Chubb

International Regular

And again, with this post, I think people may have missed my point entirely. I wasn't having a dig at his mental condition - merely pointing out that he had indeed claimed to be hit in the nets (by Travis Friend IIRC) and would be one likely to be mentioned alongside "players who were idiots" due to his recent headlining actions.
There's a picture of him after the first hit, during the 2003 WC, in the nets, with the Zim physio standing over him, Vermeulen clutching his skull. I don't think he made that up. Some of the injuries he has suffered in recent years, like breaking his arm punching the wall of the dressing room, might have been, I don't want to speculate about it.

sideshowtim

Banned
I can't remember one case of a player going home due to being "hit in the head in the nets". When Ponting was in a barfight, they didn't cover that up, the media were all over it.

steds

Hall of Fame Member

Can't imagine that being true, itbt. There are people in bars. People who would see a brawl and probably people who would recognise an international cricketer. News like that spreads and something like that would get out even if it was hushed up.

cpr

International Coach
Didnt Giles get his fingers broke in the nets by Harmison?

That had to be a cover up for the simple reason you dont have 2nd slip in net sessions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was his wrist TBH, and was in the tour where Harmison was supposed to be threatening second-slips, not the next one where everyone (for some inexplicable reason) expected him to take good figures.