• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I feel Sorry for India's cricketers - Kumar Sangakarra

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
So then it's not the money. So why did you even mention it in the first place?

So, does it have anything to do with the money or not? In that third post, you said that when they do adds and interviews 'they are fueling' the reaction. Liverpool players don't do ads or interviews then? How come their ads or interviews don't fuel the reaction?
I have made more than a few posts on this, yet you're concentrating on something afar from what I've actually been stating.

Taking money from a crook is one thing, taking money from your father is another thing.

If we can call this 'machine' a crook, then you can see why taking this money is going to lead to trouble. This is the same machine that fuels fan's expectations, that fuels the fanaticism that follows the sport - and which a lot of money is made out of it.

I'm asking you as an Australian supporter - not knowledgeable of everything in India: have the cricketers and the cricketing institution been more concerned with making money (from this machine) or have they been just as concerned with curbing this behaviour? It's not a difficult question.

And that's where my earlier comment comes in. They don't seem to be complaining about how/why they get all this money/fame - even if it is from a negative entity - but they seem to be disillusioned when the other result of this comes to the fore - when the destruction and threat to people's safety comes in.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And that's where my earlier comment comes in. They don't seem to be complaining about how/why they get all this money/fame - even if it is from a negative entity - but they seem to be disillusioned when the other result of this comes to the fore - when the destruction and threat to people's safety comes in.
But you yourself said it is possible to have money and fame without this negative entity. And you gave an example of Liverpool. The players at Liverpool also make money and have fame. The only difference is that fans there don't issue death threats and attack homes.

And as for players - they do speak out. But when they do, people accuse them of whining, or accuse them of just 'making money'.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Let me ask you a very simple yes or no question - are the players themselves responsible for any death threats or attacks made against their them or their property?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I'm asking you as an Australian supporter - not knowledgeable of everything in India: have the cricketers and the cricketing institution been more concerned with making money (from this machine) or have they been just as concerned with curbing this behaviour? It's not a difficult question.
If you actually aren't that knowledgeable about the issue, I have to ask why you made the comments you did earlier in the thread? Wouldn't it have been easier just to ask as you have done now? Anyway, making money and curbing the behaviour = not mutually exclusive. What you're failing to realise is that it is a very small minority who actually make these death threats, who go around damaging players' homes. No matter what you do with the money aspect of the game, these people will still exist.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
But you yourself said it is possible to have money and fame without this negative entity. And you gave an example of Liverpool. The players at Liverpool also make money and have fame. The only difference is that fans there don't issue death threats and attack homes.
No, the fans were just cause of one of the worst stadium massacres of all time. 39 people died at Heysel due to unnecessary fanaticism.

The difference there is that the English clubs got banned for 6 years from European competition. The difference is now the same clubs have a different culture amongst their fans.

THIS is exactly what I am trying to say. WHAT has been DONE to CURB this extreme fanaticism in India? The problem will never be solved by saying: "Well it's the fans' fault, they're idiots". Even if that were true, something must intervene to change this destructive behaviour.

And as for players - they do speak out. But when they do, people accuse them of whining, or accuse them of just 'making money'.
Then more people have to speak out. I am more than sure India has some people who are bright and have a lot of sense to know that what is going on is wrong. You build a promotional campaign to root out this old behaviour and plant in a new one. But as I've been trying to say, you don't do that by watering that old plant.

You get Sachin and Sunil doing some ads. You get the President/Prime Minister to give a few words. You get cricketers going to schools and clubs trying to instill some sense into these kids.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If you actually aren't that knowledgeable about the issue, I have to ask why you made the comments you did earlier in the thread? Wouldn't it have been easier just to ask as you have done now? Anyway, making money and curbing the behaviour = not mutually exclusive. What you're failing to realise is that it is a very small minority who actually make these death threats, who go around damaging players' homes. No matter what you do with the money aspect of the game, these people will still exist.
Who says I don't know anything? In my opinion I know enough. But I see a side that is trying to refute the message I am trying to convey. So I ask, humbly, of those that should know more: has enough been done? And to be honest, I kinda know the answer to that one.

It's great to know that "these people will still exist", that seemingly wasn't an issue elsewhere.

Maybe there are a few that will go as far as killing someone, but there are more than few putting unreasonable pressure on these cricketers.

What, also, would be easier is not to accuse or imply people for things - maybe ask?

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, the people who make death threats against Rahul Dravid are really going to stop if they see Rahul Dravid on TV telling them not to make threats. :huh:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, the people who make death threats against Rahul Dravid are really going to stop if they see Rahul Dravid on TV telling them not to make threats. :huh:
The person who wants to kill Rahul Dravid has come to that conclusion by way of influence. The problem may not disappear immediately, but how about the next generation onwards? What if they were influenced differently? That person you're talking of is maybe 30 years of age, there maybe a future replica of this person already at age 7. Why can't that person be changed?

Maybe you advocate doing nothing?

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The person who wants to kill Rahul Dravid has come to that conclusion by way of influence. The problem may not disappear immediately, but how about the next generation onwards? What if they were influenced differently? That person you're talking of is maybe 30 years of age, there maybe a future replica of this person already at age 7. Why can't that person be changed?

Maybe you advocate doing nothing?
I advocate some perspective in people's lives, but when you only have one sport in the country with such population - this is what happens. It is irrelevant to me how much players get paid.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I advocate some perspective in people's lives, but when you only have one sport in the country with such population - this is what happens. It is irrelevant to me how much players get paid.
I'm sure in Merseyside (Liverpool) they love their La Crosse. 8-)

Yeah, I'm sure that 1% will exist. Unfortunately, the larger populus isn't too calm either.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
I'm sure in Merseyside (Liverpool) they love their La Crosse. 8-)

Yeah, I'm sure that 1% will exist. Unfortunately, the larger populus isn't too calm either.
I know..I mean look at SS here...all going overboard asking everybody to stay calm..wots with it mate??

adharcric

International Coach
KaZ, can you ask terrorists to stop taking innocent lives? No. In the same way, your solution to this problem is very unrealistic. In fact, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the primary culprit here - the dire, sensationalist Inidian media. That, combined with the low education levels of a certain section of the fanbase, is the real reason.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
KaZ, can you ask terrorists to stop taking innocent lives? No. In the same way, your solution to this problem is very unrealistic. In fact, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the primary culprit here - the sensationalist media in India. That, combined with the low education levels of a certain section of the fanbase, is the real reason.
To be honest, I think that's a bad analogy. The sensationalist media is definitely to blame. But it's one of the entities these very players have gotten fame off of. I simply don't allow the players a free ride here.

adharcric

International Coach
To be honest, I think that's a bad analogy. The sensationalist media is definitely to blame. But it's one of the entities these very players have gotten fame off of. I simply don't allow the players a free ride here.
Perhaps it is a bad analogy, but the idiot "fans" who do this stuff are virtually less dangerous versions of terrorists - they are uneducated, brainwashed and ********. The media is partially responsible for the fame that the players get, I agree. The players don't have much of a role in the disturbing fan behavior though.