• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I dont like Bazball

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Unlike yesteryears nowadays even in Tests pitches have become flatter and boundaries shorter plus the standard of bowling has also gone down. So, now it's the perfect time for BAZBALL to work. I'm sure it would not have worked in the 90s or before on more helpful wickets and stronger attacks.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Even I love Tests to be played like Tests...not in a ODI or T20 mode. But the reality is that nowadays cricket has become a television game which means it's all about money and entertainment.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Who cares how many runs they score per over. The games haven't been over in 2 or 3 days. Most have finished on 4th or 5th day. It's been great. This game would have finished as a draw with both team not even starting the 2nd innings without bazball. If you would have preferred that there something wrong with you

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Bazball isn't anything new, the stupid name is of course but lots of teams have played with a positive approach.

Steve Waugh did as Australian captain - scoring rates increased, he wouldn't use a night watchman etc - it's all the same thing.

In 2005 Ashes, the key point for me was the 1st day of the 2nd test. We'd lost the 1st test and we scored just over 400 in a day with Trescothick leading the way.

It was a deliberate approach - we're not going to let the bowlers dominate and dictate the game to us.

It's like in football, not long ago loads of teams played 4-5-1 which is quite a defensive formation.

Then Barca started playing 4-3-3 and loads of teams followed.

That's all Bazball is - its not about slogging, it's not about scoring run a ball 100s all the time, it's about taking the game to the opposition, to try and impose yourself and to always take the positive attacking option during the game.

In football terms it's like being 1 nil up with 10 minutes to go. Do you put an extra defender on for a forward and shut up shop or do you go for the 2nd goal to kill the game off.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Bazball isn't anything new, the stupid name is of course but lots of teams have played with a positive approach.

Steve Waugh did as Australian captain - scoring rates increased, he wouldn't use a night watchman etc - it's all the same thing.

In 2005 Ashes, the key point for me was the 1st day of the 2nd test. We'd lost the 1st test and we scored just over 400 in a day with Trescothick leading the way.

It was a deliberate approach - we're not going to let the bowlers dominate and dictate the game to us.

It's like in football, not long ago loads of teams played 4-5-1 which is quite a defensive formation.

Then Barca started playing 4-3-3 and loads of teams followed.

That's all Bazball is - its not about slogging, it's not about scoring run a ball 100s all the time, it's about taking the game to the opposition, to try and impose yourself and to always take the positive attacking option during the game.

In football terms it's like being 1 nil up with 10 minutes to go. Do you put an extra defender on for a forward and shut up shop or do you go for the 2nd goal to kill the game off.
Do u think other teams will adapt it soon? Like how they embraced pinch hitting after Sri Lanka won the '96 WC.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Again to reiterate i am not saying its not a strategy thay is not workable or its making cricket less exciting.

I am taking it from my perspective, as an old school fan i like to watch a first day of a test match with a score of 284/5.A team chasing 422 in 4 session's ending up saving the game with a back to the wall 266/8.

For 6's and 7's an over i have white ball cricket.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Who cares how many runs they score per over. The games haven't been over in 2 or 3 days. Most have finished on 4th or 5th day. It's been great. This game would have finished as a draw with both team not even starting the 2nd innings without bazball. If you would have preferred that there something wrong with you
No bazball has made this game better then anything this pitch deserved but its just the fear that this will turn test matches to two innings odis like odis turned to extended T 20's that's making you dread it for test cricket future.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Do u think other teams will adapt it soon? Like how they embraced pinch hitting after Sri Lanka won the '96 WC.
That's a really good comparison. When SL started with pinch hitting, everyone said well that's OK in the SC but you can't do it in England etc

I think if England are successful then teams will certainly look at replicating it.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
That's a really good comparison. When SL started with pinch hitting, everyone said well that's OK in the SC but you can't do it in England etc

I think if England are successful then teams will certainly look at replicating it.
But my only concern is that captains might go for defensive fields and bowlers bowling negative lines. I hope that doesn't happens.

thierry henry

International Coach
I never said Bazball was a myth, in fact you may well recall that I fully expected NZ to lose every game to Bazball, which they duly did.

It's not a case of whether or not it'll work, it's a case of what's the point of playing cricket that is completely rank, unwatchable filth. Like, cricket is supposed to be a sporting contest which has fans willing to watch it and all that sorta jazz.

BazBall21

International Regular
I am a sucker for attritional cricket, but I’m afraid if Bazball genuinely does change Test Cricket long-term (not necessarily saying it will by any means), Ben Stokes arguably joins a very exclusive list of cricketers that have either changed cricket or had a major cultural impact. A prestigious club that includes the likes of Frank Worrell, KS Ranji, Fred Spofforth, Adam Gilchrist etc.

subshakerz

International Coach
Again to reiterate i am not saying its not a strategy thay is not workable or its making cricket less exciting.

I am taking it from my perspective, as an old school fan i like to watch a first day of a test match with a score of 284/5.A team chasing 422 in 4 session's ending up saving the game with a back to the wall 266/8.

For 6's and 7's an over i have white ball cricket.
I agree in a way. It's one thing to have Sehwag play and another to have an entire batting lineup play like Sehwag. Attritional cricket has its place which should be preserved.

BazBall has many benefits but if teams are going to play like that on tough pitches and we have 3 day games and somehow that is celebrated then I think cricket has taken a step backwards.

subshakerz

International Coach
I am a sucker for attritional cricket, but I’m afraid if Bazball genuinely does change Test Cricket long-term (not necessarily saying it will by any means), Ben Stokes arguably joins a very exclusive list of cricketers that have either changed cricket or had a major cultural impact. A prestigious club that includes the likes of Frank Worrell, KS Ranji, Fred Spofforth, Adam Gilchrist etc.
Good idea for a thread.

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
Unlike yesteryears nowadays even in Tests pitches have become flatter and boundaries shorter plus the standard of bowling has also gone down. So, now it's the perfect time for BAZBALL to work. I'm sure it would not have worked in the 90s or before on more helpful wickets and stronger attacks.
jeez one summer of Bazball and a few roads and apparently it’s a batting friendly era and the standard of bowling has gone down when until recently this was one of the eras where batting averages across the board have been recorded to be one of the lowest and multiple teams have had their best bowling attacks in history8-)

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
jeez one summer of Bazball and a few roads and apparently it’s a batting friendly era and the standard of bowling has gone down when until recently this was one of the eras where batting averages across the board have been recorded to be one of the lowest and multiple teams have had their best bowling attacks in history8-)
Sorry, I don't agree with you!