• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I dont like Bazball

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I am curious to see how “bazball” does against a quality attack. Will it lead to more English victories or sub-200 collapses?
So far since McCullums been in charge we've beat NZ, India in a one off test, S Africa and we're 1 nil up against Pakistan.

NZ and India were both ranked number 1 in the world when we beat them and both have very decent attacks.as indeed do SA.

tony p

First Class Debutant
The success or failure on "Bazball" will come down to the 2023 Ashes series, as that's REALLY the only series that matters to England.
If they win it 3-0 or 3-1 it will be here to stay within reason (you need the right type of players).
If they lose the series say 4-0, the critics will be on their backs, and of course the County Game will be blamed for any Ashes loss, whatever system England play.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The success or failure on "Bazball" will come down to the 2023 Ashes series, as that's REALLY the only series that matters to England.
If they win it 3-0 or 3-1 it will be here to stay within reason (you need the right type of players).
If they lose the series say 4-0, the critics will be on their backs, and of course the County Game will be blamed for any Ashes loss, whatever system England play.
For as long as McCullum is our coach he will continue with his positive approach to the game.

Of course the Ashes is huge, it always is but McCullum won't change and nor should he.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
It was one slightly rude post by deathscar, that's it. Personally I'm shocked at how well this guy pretending to be a woman, posting ***ually suggestive comments and rotating through playboy cover photos as avatars, has been treated.

It's being looked at as a fun gimmick, or outright ignored, as it should be. Not being treated as an outsider
You accuse me of being a guy pretending to be a woman, so silly of you and the rest! I'm posting this pic for you all to see the truth. And plz see closely on my laptop, there you can see me viewing your favorite Cricketweb forum.
imageedit_79_6065402860.png

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I can see it already leading to retcons about what was a good attack or not based on the unshakeable principle that it won't be done against a good attack. Sehwag syndrome.
Reminds me of a recent conversation about Warne.

"Warne didn't do well against any good players of spin."
"That's not true, he was great against Cullinan."
"Lmao, Cullinan wasn't a good player of spin, he was awful against Warne."
"....."

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
So far since McCullums been in charge we've beat NZ, India in a one off test, S Africa and we're 1 nil up against Pakistan.

NZ and India were both ranked number 1 in the world when we beat them and both have very decent attacks.as indeed do SA.
Many congrats to England, they are playing a brand of cricket which has never been seen before. Due to work and other assignments I missed watching most of this Test which I was certain from Day 1 will end in a boring draw.

I'm sure SA will defeat England and this BAZBALL theory will be ineffective but I wish all the England supporters all the best winning the Ashes.

@Ashes81 you are one knowledgeable gentleman in this forum.
That's my last post here! I initially wanted to be part of this forum discussing cricket and having some fun...but as mentioned before I won't be contributing any more!

Melissa

Howe_zat

Audio File
Many congrats to England, they are playing a brand of cricket which has never been seen before. Due to work and other assignments I missed watching most of this Test which I was certain from Day 1 will end in a boring draw.

I'm sure SA will defeat England and this BAZBALL theory will be ineffective but I wish all the England supporters all the best winning the Ashes.

That's my last post here! I initially wanted to be part of this forum discussing cricket and having some fun...but as mentioned before I won't be contributing any more!

Melissa
Who's got the record number of final ever posts? Pratters?

I've got a couple but I'm pretty sure they weren't on consecutive days

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

Melissa
I joined this site recently to discuss all things cricket with people around the world who share the passion I have for the game.

Personally, I always found your posts to be pretty insightful and to be honest I couldn't care less if you're a women, a man, a man pretending to be a woman etc etc

ashley bach

International Captain
Unlike yesteryears nowadays even in Tests pitches have become flatter and boundaries shorter plus the standard of bowling has also gone down. So, now it's the perfect time for BAZBALL to work. I'm sure it would not have worked in the 90s or before on more helpful wickets and stronger attacks.
Have they become flatter though? I kind of felt over the past 10 years or so the ball has dominated much more than the bat in general.
Of course I'm not referring to any of the matches in Pakistan, but that's only a very small percentage anyway.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Have they become flatter though? I kind of felt over the past 10 years or so the ball has dominated much more than the bat in general.
Of course I'm not referring to any of the matches in Pakistan, but that's only a very small percentage anyway.
they haven’t and this user hasn’t bothered following up on it

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Tbh I’d never heard of Bazball prior to the thread being posted here, I generally cbf reading about modern English cricketers so I assumed it was extremely recent, my bad.

Also I thought it was a deliberate misspelling of baseball, partly since I wasn’t even aware McCullum was coaching England

BazBall21

International Regular
England certainly won't lose the ashes 4-0 at home. Australia's batting in England looks unconvincing. Not much has changed since last time (they always bash out runs against most sides at home) and Smith will not have another Bradmanesque series.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Tbh I’d never heard of Bazball prior to the thread being posted here, I generally cbf reading about modern English cricketers so I assumed it was extremely recent, my bad.

Also I thought it was a deliberate misspelling of baseball, partly since I wasn’t even aware McCullum was coaching England
For someone who has so little interest in English cricket, you've spent an inordinate amount of time posting on a thread about it.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
There's nothing intrinsically right or wrong about 'Bazball' - it just is

We all have preferences, but this is akin to whingeing why people have now gravitated to having mayo with chips as opposed to traditional condiments such as ketchup/ brown/curry sauce
It just...is

That's the beauty of test cricket
If you want to watch Pujara grinding out an 80, batting all day against Anderson or Cummins or Rabada - you can

If watching Harry Brook motor to a 100 midway through the 2nd session on a road is more to your taste than great, there's a place for that too

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There's nothing intrinsically right or wrong about 'Bazball' - it just is

We all have preferences, but this is akin to whingeing why people have now gravitated to having mayo with chips as opposed to traditional condiments such as ketchup/ brown/curry sauce
It just...is
What?

ashley bach

International Captain

For some strange reason I had the idea you were an educated cricket fan, boy did I **** that up.