• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Huge statistical analysis on greatest ODI batsman ranked - Cricinfo

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't consider Lara > Tendulkar to be a crazy opinion by any means tbh

opening the batting was a weird one considering that it's been the easiest place to bat in ODIs in the last 15 or so years
In Tests, it's certainly a perfectly defensible opinion. In ODIs, no, unless you completely ignore longevity and strictly compare peak vs. peak in the '90s.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
This article didn't even deserve a dedicated thread in the first place. Should have gone into the "doesn't deserve a thread" section.

vcs

If Viv Richards doesn't score high on "X-Factor", then the term has lost all its meaning.

What is a subjective variable like "X-Factor" doing in a statistical exercise anyway?

TheJediBrah

If Viv Richards doesn't score high on "X-Factor", then the term has lost all its meaning.

What is a subjective variable like "X-Factor" doing in a statistical exercise anyway?
Judging by the OP, "X-Factor" was just a rating was made up of:

- MoM awards
- opening the batting
- finishing the innings
- quality of batting support available
- quality of bowling support available

which I can't really make much sense of

vcs

I'm not reading that **** LOL, my eyes starting glazing over within the first couple of paras of an Anantha Narayanan article

TheJediBrah

Sehwag being there is the only head-scratcher that would make me even consider an Indian bias, the other 3 are fair (Dhoni might be a bit generous but putting him top 10 isn't a terrible call). But I can't begin to think of how you would try to manipulate the criteria to fit this, if it's even possible.

Ponting at 2 is also interesting, I can only assume the "Major cup-related achievements" pushed him up a fair bit.

vcs

If it were an Indian biased exercise, no way Ponting would be above Kohli. Most people even here would struggle to have Ponting above Kohli in ODIs.

trundler

I was on the Ponting over Kohli train 3 years ago but it's as indefensible as it gets now. Would be like a moderate upgrade over saying Hussein was better than Hayden as am opinion.

vcs

I don't see how anyone could have Ponting above Kohli.

For me Kohli is ahead of Tendulkar too
Yeah I think I would put Kohli ahead of Tendulkar by the end of his career as well (arguably he's already done enough). Richards is the only one he would struggle to match, because many people seem to require the "scored century in a WC knockout game" box ticked for him to do that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Guys, it is a fluff piece. It really does not require this much discussion. We already know who the ATG bats in ODIs are and most of us will agree on the right ranking too. Gilchrist in the top 10 and Ponting in the top 5 is just stupidly stupid, btw. Dhoni not in the top 5 is even more stupid.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I think I would put Kohli ahead of Tendulkar by the end of his career as well (arguably he's already done enough). Richards is the only one he would struggle to match, because many people seem to require the "scored century in a WC knockout game" box ticked for him to do that.
Pretty much.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I struggle to see why Afridi isn't there somewhere around top 10. He might be having a good number of MoMs as well lol.

TheJediBrah

When you look at the winners of most ODI MOM awards, Viv and Kohli really stand out. Every one else in the top 10 had played like 350 games lol

Afridi's got a pretty horrendous batting average. Can't say I'm surprised he's not there.