• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rate Kumar Sangakkara?

Where would you place him in a list of ATG cricketers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

watson

Banned
Sangakkara is a modern master - averaged 60 for a whole decade, averaged 66 after 52 consecutive Test matches, excellent against all opponents on all surfaces, and great to watch. As near to technical perfection as you're ever going to get.

01. Don Bradman
02. Garry Sobers
03. Viv Richards
04. Jack Hobbs
05. Brian Lara
06. Sachin Tendulkar
07. Len Hutton
08. Kumar Sangakkara
09. George Headley
10. Greg Chappell

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
As good as Sangakkara was, I'd not rate him above Greg Chappell.

Red

In answer to the question, he's not a top ten cricketer of all time. I don't think he was particularly better than a whole host of top/middle order batsmen. That's not to discredit him at all, but there are plenty I'd rank on par with him thru history.

watson

Banned
Which batsmen thrive against the best bowlers?

Why Tendulkar and Lara were superior all-round Test players, and why Sangakkara is a freak

........Only Tendulkar, Border, Sangakkara and Steve Waugh average over 50 against strong attacks away from home. Jayawardene has struggled against such bowling, averaging only 27 over 49 innings, scoring one century. Ponting made eight centuries in 42 innings against strong attacks away from home, but averaged only 44. These innings constituted 14% of Ponting's innings in Tests. By contrast, Lara played 30% of his Test innings against strong attacks away from home. Sangakkara has built an imposing record against such attacks. Border averaged higher than 50 despite making only five centuries in 52 innings against such attacks.

........These figures suggest, fairly clearly in my view, that Tendulkar and Lara were superior all-round Test players compared to all the others mentioned in this list. They also suggest that Sangakkara is a freak of nature whose bullying of the minnows only turns a great Test record into a freakishly brilliant one.

Blogs: Kartikeya Date: Which batsmen thrive against the best bowlers? | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo
Against bowling attacks better than the median, Away.

Sangakkara: 2291 runs at AVE 58.7

As good as Sanga's stats are it's the little things that make a batsman for me. You knew that Gavaskar was at full throttle when he got down on one knee to crash the ball through the covers. Sangakkara is the only other batsman I think of who does the same. So idiosyncratic, but so good to watch.

Last edited:

Red

Yeah that 1975/76 series against the Windies was pretty sublime, and he did make Hadlee look fair to middling.....
Yeh, he was elite against the elite. His record in WSC is also outstanding, and only he and Viv stood out as batsman (discounting B.Richards' couple of innings).

Kind of weirdly underrated is G.Chappell. Should be included in a lot more discussions about greatest ever and ATG teams. Plus the fact he was peerless in the slips.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf the West indies attack that played in that series wasn't really elite. It looks elite on paper but it was holding's debut series and Gibbs' last.

srbhkshk

International Captain
From what I've seen Sanga was a good batsmen but transformed into an ATG in the last few years of his career, prior to that he was rated the same as Mahela.
How do people rank - Ponting - Dravid - Kallis - Sanga ?

Red

From what I've seen Sanga was a good batsmen but transformed into an ATG in the last few years of his career, prior to that he was rated the same as Mahela.
Ponting
Dravid
Sanga
Kallis

viriya

International Captain
Sachin, Lara, Sanga
-
Kallis, Dravid, Ponting

flibbertyjibber

Very very good but not as good as Tendulkar, Lara, Waugh, Ponting and Kallis and that is without going back too far. Where would I rank him on an all time list, god knows as it is so difficult to rate players you haven't seen properly and some players have lots of clips of them and others very little or none.

watson

Banned
Sanga
Kallis
Ponting
Dravid

Can't see past Ponting's failures in India unfortunately. But apart from that, absolutely stella.

OverratedSanity

I'll go Ponting -Sanga -Dravid-Kallis. Mighty close though.

Younis is right up there too. Seems it's going to take a while before people realize how good he is.

Red

Sanga
Kallis
Ponting
Dravid

Can't see past Ponting's failures in India unfortunately. But apart from that, absolutely stella.
I can't get past the purple patch Ponting had from Jan 2002 to Jan 2007. Unbelievable.