• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rank Pakistan's spinners?

subshakerz

International Coach
Rank the below:

Iqbal Qasim
Abdul Qadir
Mushtaq Ahmed
Saqlain Muhstaq
Danesh Kaneria
Saeed Ajmal - you can count him or not
Yasir Shah

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
A tough call but:

Abdul Qadir - Rated highly by those from his era
Yasir Shah - An impressive record in terms of fastest to 100 and 200 Test wickets
Saqlain Mushtaq - As spinners go has a test average < 30
Iqbal Qasim - Somewhat in the shadow of Abdul Qadir
Mushtaq Ahmed - Ranking may be a bit harsh
Danesh Kaneira - More wickets than the others but spot fixing scandal spoils his reputation

subshakerz

International Coach
A tough call but:

Abdul Qadir - Rated highly by those from his era
Yasir Shah - An impressive record in terms of fastest to 100 and 200 Test wickets
Saqlain Mushtaq - As spinners go has a test average < 30
Iqbal Qasim - Somewhat in the shadow of Abdul Qadir
Mushtaq Ahmed - Ranking may be a bit harsh
Danesh Kaneira - More wickets than the others but spot fixing scandal spoils his reputation
Kaneria could have been a different spinner if he had a better keeper and some pace support.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saqlain
Qasim
Yasir = Qadir
Mushtaq
Kaneria

Very hard splitting Yasir, Qadir and Mushtaq. Qadir and Yasir were both very poor away (or outside the UAE in Yasir's case). Qadir had umpiring assistance for his home record, but he also had more longevity. Both very destructive when on. Mushtaq was basically good for only two years while being around for a lot longer, so goes behind IMO.

And no I don't count Ajmal. A stain on cricket.

Slifer

International Captain
All I know I'd Qadir is extremely overrated. And I never understood why Pakistan favored him over the much more effective (outside of Pakistan) Qasim.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All I know I'd Qadir is extremely overrated. And I never understood why Pakistan favored him over the much more effective (outside of Pakistan) Qasim.
Well don't underestimate non-cricketing factors in Pakistan. But Qadir could be destructive on his day, moreso than Qasim.

Don't underestimate the allure of a leg-spinner (which fits in my style-over-substance theory of peer ratings). Especially someone who bowled two googlies. A lot of people seem to treat being a leg-spinner as knocking four runs off one's average 'because it's difficult'. I personally think it's very overrated - it's hard, so it's likely to be less effective.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Well don't underestimate non-cricketing factors in Pakistan. But Qadir could be destructive on his day, moreso than Qasim.

Don't underestimate the allure of a leg-spinner (which fits in my style-over-substance theory of peer ratings). Especially someone who bowled two googlies. A lot of people seem to treat being a leg-spinner as knocking four runs off one's average 'because it's difficult'. I personally think it's very overrated - it's hard, so it's likely to be less effective.
2/17126 isn’t that many.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

It's hard so it at least deserves some respect. By contrast, literally any able bodied human can bowl and at least land finger spin. That's why it's the poor cousin of cricketing skills.

Kirkut

International Regular
Ajmal is my personal favourite. Single handedly won the series against that ATG English side.

Kirkut

International Regular
Kaneria got clobbered by Lara, but no shame in that since all spinners got treated that way. He played a crucial role in winning against England in 2005.

Slifer

International Captain
With respect, don't see how Qasim can be rated lower than Abdul. He already averages 4 less overall. Outside Pakistan, Qasim went at a respectable 33 overall. Qadir went at 47!! Against the WI Qadir: 31 Qasim: 23. It's all good romanticizing leg spin and all but this is a bit much.