• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to measure how fast you bowl?

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
I recently saw in this forum how you could measure how fast you bowl using a stopwatch and calculator but have forgotten how to do it?

Could someone please tell me how it is done again please?
Thanks.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Copied from the Cricket Web coaching section:

Finally, we've got everything sorted out - so how fast do you actually bowl? Naturally, the best thing possible to use would be a radar gun - however they're not generally widely available to clubs and schools - but there is a simple way that needs just a stopwatch and a calculator (or maths geek) to provide approximate results. Start the stopwatch when the ball is released, and then stop it again when either the batsman hits (or misses) it, then divide 45 (or 72) by your answer to get your answer in miles per hour (or kilometres). For example, a delivery timed at 1 second has travelled at about 45mph (72kph). To break the magical 100mph (160kph) barrier, the clock must register at 0.45 seconds. Once you get used to working the timer, you will get surprisingly consistent results. I've found that standing at the back of the net, either directly behind or just to the side, gets the best results.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
I actually bought a radar gun, but found it hard to get an accurate reading. I suggest using a combination of the stopwatch method and a video camera.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
no1_gangsta_786 said:
im using the stopwatch on my watch.....so thats why im confused.......what stopwatch do you use?

It doesn't matter what stopwatch you use - just use something that can record split seconds (milliseconds?). Anyway, get your time, and divide 45 by it - say, it was one second. You would do 45 divided by 1 (45/1) = 45 mph.

I guess that someone that is really bored can make a table for this kind of thing.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't you ever do physics?

speed=distance/time

But the results will be different from what you see on TV, as they record the speed as the ball is released rather than as it reaches the batsman.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
You would have to bowl full tosses to get an accurate measurement, since pace drops considerably once the ball pitches. Even then, you're probably not getting good readings, since full tosses don't normally go as fast for people so used to having it bounce.

Arutha

Cricket Spectator
I used this last week. I'm almost 17 years old, and I got my dad to take my speed ten times, and I got an average of round about 130 km/h?
One ball measured 144 km/h.
Is that possible?

slowfinger

International Debutant
Another suggestion from the coaching side was to get a car going at the same speed as you bowling and just seeing how fast the car went.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I used this last week. I'm almost 17 years old, and I got my dad to take my speed ten times, and I got an average of round about 130 km/h?
Is that possible?
Always better to get a video and measure the same video a few times to see what the average measurement is.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is that possible?
Well, hard to doubt you without seeing said video but the only guy I've heard of clocked that fast at that age was Shaun Tait (144Km/h at 17 in a SACA net).