• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to make the middle of ODI innings more interesting

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I always thought it would be a good idea to have a new ball forced to be taken after 25 overs. It would give both bowler and batter advantages to score faster / take wickets and as the white ball nearly always gets changed after 40 overs anyway cos its gets to dirty (which is a joke really as the replacement ball is ALWAYS gonna be newer or at least harder else it would just be as dirty) its not like its a major change.

Loony BoB

International Captain
SpaceMonkey said:
I always thought it would be a good idea to have a new ball forced to be taken after 25 overs. It would give both bowler and batter advantages to score faster / take wickets and as the white ball nearly always gets changed after 40 overs anyway cos its gets to dirty (which is a joke really as the replacement ball is ALWAYS gonna be newer or at least harder else it would just be as dirty) its not like its a major change.
Of course, some bowlers rely on the ball getting old.

pakster

U19 12th Man
" personally don't see a problem with ODI cricket as it is, but if they were to change it, I would put in place the 'free hit' rule which is used in Natwest cricket. That's where the ball after a noball is literally a free hit in that the runs scored off it count, but the batsman can't be dismissed"

oh please NOOOO!! that rule would affect pak more than anyone else!!

How to make the game more intersting:

1. I think they should make a rule that if a batsmen doesnt score a boundary for more than 4 overs, the bowler should have a free aim at the stumps!

2. also, how about giving batsmen 3 lives...they could be super agressive in their first and second life and calm down for the third!

3. Bringing on a duck (or a man dressed like a duck) on to the pitch when a player scores 0, the duck man would then dance around the player who just scored 0. That would be great!!

i'll post some more when i think of em :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kumble's idea has merits actually - I personally would want any tinkering to be in favour of the fielding side (hence the sniper idea)

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
So nobody supports my sniper idea then?

I'm shocked, you're all clearly against progress!
You could provide certain sections of the crowd with Molotovs, or maybe Gas Grenades.. There could be, "Toast a player" prizes...

On the other hand, I think a few flashbangs going off during the bowlers runup might be entertaining for the batsman!

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I don't like the free hit idea since it will be another rule in favour of batters.

To make it more equal, how about adding one more mode of dismissal...you can be given out LBW even if the ball pitches outside leg but can go onto hit the stumps.

Deja moo

International Captain
A simple way to give bowlers more leeway is to ban Steve Bucknor when India bowls.Indian bowlers end up requiring to take 15 wickets each innings when Bucknor officiates.

Craig

World Traveller
pakster said:
3. Bringing on a duck (or a man dressed like a duck) on to the pitch when a player scores 0, the duck man would then dance around the player who just scored 0. That would be great!!
Not unless the player has a short temper, then comprehensive health insurence may have be a requirement for the job.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
You could provide certain sections of the crowd with Molotovs, or maybe Gas Grenades.. There could be, "Toast a player" prizes...

On the other hand, I think a few flashbangs going off during the bowlers runup might be entertaining for the batsman!
Flashbangs? That made me think of the traditiona baseball tune going off during the bowler's runup. :D

Loony BoB

International Captain
To be honest, I'd be happy with more leniency for the bowlers with regards to beind their arms - If it really does give the bowler that much of an advantage, why not make the most of it and let them use that advantage? Just a few degrees may well make all the difference into making the game a little more evenly matched. For all we know, a lot of the long-finished players of the past used a few degrees over the limit but were never able to be tested with today's technology.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
You could provide certain sections of the crowd with Molotovs, or maybe Gas Grenades..

That'd be a bit dangerous in the sub-continent with all those firecrackers in the stands as well!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
orangepitch said:
A simple way to give bowlers more leeway is to ban Steve Bucknor when India bowls.Indian bowlers end up requiring to take 15 wickets each innings when Bucknor officiates.
A myth that people keep trying to bring up.

Eclipse

International Debutant
ReallyCrazy said:
2) There should be a standard for the way cricket bats are manufactured. It seems like a lot players just hit the ball with minimum effort and it goes for six (the best example was Ricky Ponting in the WC final where he hit sixes with like one hand). This has to do with the so called "sweet spot" on the bat. Research should be done so that batters don't have this unfair advantage and the "right amount" of "sweet spot" is produced.
Hmm.. I dont really agree. You will find it's only the good players who make these sixes look so easy.

If you have not noticed Ponting is very strong has a high backlift and as a genral rule if he does hit a six it's a huge one bigger than most noted hitters other than big strong guys like say Cairns or Symonds not many players can hit that ball as far as Ponting.

Last edited: