• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How much do coaches matter in the modern game?

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think coaches have a major role to play , a strong tactical coach will be really good for some one like Babar Azam whose batting actually benifits with the added responsibility of captaincy but seems to have the tactical nous of a door mouse and hence the team results suffer.

Chubb

International Regular
I think there's a football adage that a good coach can improve a side 10% but a bad one can make it 50% worse, and it seems it can be applied to cricket too.

There's also a problem when a good coach outstays their welcome and their methods become stale. Look at Andy Flower or Duncan Fletcher.

It does not take a cricket genius to coach the Australian 1990s-2000s side or to coach Australia to win the Ashes last summer, particularly when England were led by Chris Silverwood. John Buchanan got lucky - look at the mess he made in NZ - and Langer has nothing to complain about.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
John Buchanan was sitting there for years doing all this ridiculously funky stuff probably thinking he was a genius getting all these great results because of his methods
Definitely the most over-rated coach of all time.

"Is someone going to tell me that if my daughter had coached Australia, the results would have been any different?" scoffed Ian Chappell when Buchanan retired.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think coaches have a major role to play , a strong tactical coach will be really good for some one like Babar Azam whose batting actually benifits with the added responsibility of captaincy but seems to have the tactical nous of a door mouse and hence the team results suffer.
No coach can help you if you are a tactical dummy.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think there's a football adage that a good coach can improve a side 10% but a bad one can make it 50% worse, and it seems it can be applied to cricket too.

There's also a problem when a good coach outstays their welcome and their methods become stale. Look at Andy Flower or Duncan Fletcher.

It does not take a cricket genius to coach the Australian 1990s-2000s side or to coach Australia to win the Ashes last summer, particularly when England were led by Chris Silverwood. John Buchanan got lucky - look at the mess he made in NZ - and Langer has nothing to complain about.
I think this is probably true.

Greg Chappell comes to mind though. As coach, made some good calls with the youngsters but way so unliked by the seniors at the same time.

Compare that to Gary Kirsten, who kept a low profile but had super support from the players.