• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good - or bad - an umpire is Darryl Hair?

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Hair is better than most of the umpires on the international panel but has an ego and attitude.

His decision making is better than most but he doesn't give LBW's.

shaka

International Regular
I have never liked Daryll because to me he seems a bit biased towards Australia, especially when SA used to play them. Recently I have not really seen much of him.

venomous

Cricket Spectator
Scaly piscine said:
Hair made a very good decision (according to reports) today in calling a dead ball when England's current cheating opposition (when it's just one cheat, fine, but there are 3-4 minimum in that team so I'm being consistent with the CDMs being cheats) ran on the danger area when taking a run.

I think most other umpires would have let them get away with it.
Cheats?..Yeh right...People have made Afridi's incident so big that it has put curtain on oppositions cheats. The only apparent cheating done by Pak is the 1 of Afridi, & from England...Bell, Harmi, Tresco etc etc etc. So I believe this word suits more on England, as it obviously did during the Ashes!

And regarding Hair, I think he's not a bad umpire, every umpire makes mistakes, but his mistakes, compared to other umpires, are kind of above avg. in giving wrong decisions. :p

Last edited:

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
tbh i think that the best umpires are the one's that you don't even notice... I think Hair's personality effects his performance as an umpire as he wants to be noticed making decisions etc. and being part of the game.

yohanna

Banned
Scaly piscine said:
Hair made a very good decision (according to reports) today in calling a dead ball when England's current cheating opposition (when it's just one cheat, fine, but there are 3-4 minimum in that team so I'm being consistent with the CDMs being cheats) ran on the danger area when taking a run.

I think most other umpires would have let them get away with it.
IF anyone in his right mind can call Danish or Salman butt a cheat for running on the pitch then i must say that Bell, Tres and Harmison happen to be a much bigger cheats than anyone else (san Afridi).

wahindiawah

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
Warning Butt for running on the pitch was vaguely surreal. To me (and admittedly it was v early) it looked like Salman made every effort to get off the "danger" area.

I found that decision very wierd.

I think Hair is a poor umpire and is very stubborn.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Opinion of Hair will always be tainted by the Murali/chucking affair. As I've said previously in other threads, although I believe that Murali was hard-done by, I think that under the regulations at the time and the evidence available to him, it was a reasonable call at the time. His comments some years later (upon publication of his book) were quite irresponsible though.

I used to think he was a very good umpire in terms of on-field decision-making, but the truth is I haven't seen him in action a whole lot in recent years, and he may well have deteriorated. I'd still likely prefer him above Rudi Koertzen and Steve Bucknor though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
venomous said:
Cheats?..Yeh right...People have made Afridi's incident so big that it has put curtain on oppositions cheats. The only apparent cheating done by Pak is the 1 of Afridi, & from England...Bell, Harmi, Tresco etc etc etc. So I believe this word suits more on England, as it obviously did during the Ashes!

And regarding Hair, I think he's not a bad umpire, every umpire makes mistakes, but his mistakes, compared to other umpires, are kind of above avg. in giving wrong decisions. :p
Can you please not lower yourself to Scaly's level? Just because he's talking rubbish, doesn't mean you have to. Granted, the Bell 'catch' didn't carry, but Trescothick and Harmison have done nothing wrong!

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Can you please not lower yourself to Scaly's level? Just because he's talking rubbish, doesn't mean you have to. Granted, the Bell 'catch' didn't carry, but Trescothick and Harmison have done nothing wrong!
The Bell catch did carry, the debate is whether or not he had complete control.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I used to think he was a very good umpire in terms of on-field decision-making,
Did you see him when Australia played South Africa in 1993/94? Some of the decisions made by him in Adelaide were absolute stinkers. I mean some of the worst I've ever seen. Since then, he's only marginally moved above that, in my eyes. He was also the umpire who gave out Craig McDermott in Adelaide against the WI in 1993. I don't care what anyone says; from front-on, there's no way he would have been able to see whether the ball touched the glove. Mind you, Australia should have never have gotten close; he gave several LBW's not-out which looked pretty-much plumb even at full-speed. I guess the McDermott ball was karma.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TBF he has improved slightly since 93/94, but his still pretty average and makes too many mistake and knee-jeck(sp) calls. Looking at some of his recent tests and ODIs his over the last year i find it very surprising that his still on the elite panel, surely there are guys better then him. ATM i fell very sorry for any country that gets him to umpire a series or match. Umpiring must be in a sad state when guys like him are called 'elite' and gets even worse when you consider these worse umpires on the panel in some peoples opinons.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It will be interesting to see what Darrell Hair makes of the floodlights in Lahore. When he umpired in South Africa he decided that the lights weren't good enough for Test Cricket and took the players off anyway.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
****BUMP****

I started this thread last November. After today's incident it might be worth re-visiting and revising some opinions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BoyBrumby said:
Warning Butt for running on the pitch was vaguely surreal. To me (and admittedly it was v early) it looked like Salman made every effort to get off the "danger" area.

He does seem a man of strong convictions & is prepared to give decisions others wouldn't. I think I recall Ash Giles being changed to his end when Chanderpaul was playing with his bat tucked behing his pad on the Windies tour in 2004. The other ump (Taufel from memory) was having none of the numerous LBW shouts, but Hair gave the first one from his end.

I will say you often notice him more than other umps (that's not a fat joke, btw!) which is often a bad thing for an ump.
Couple of shouts by me there looking on the money after today! :D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
one of the worst....in terms of quality, abrasive personality and letting personal prejudices influence his decisons...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Anil said:
one of the worst....in terms of quality, abrasive personality and letting personal prejudices influence his decisons...
I don't think there are any personal prejudices, I think he is just generally insensitive to all, and not the best of umpires