• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you read a Wisden Almanack?

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I think it was the blurb of Marcus Berkmann's Rain Men which referred to Wisden as "a deadly weapon when combined with a thermos flask".

Rather than procuring the hard copies I prefer to look up the archives online (link below), the essays are quite enjoyable and it's fun to look back at match and tour reports. If you do plan to buy older copies, maybe you could look them here:

+1 to the post on the obituaries section. This book (Wisden book of Cricket Obituaries) is a real collector's item if you can find it:

Like the above, maybe a better approach is to get hold of the anthologies which keep coming out? (eg. Benaud in Wisden, Wisden on Tendulkar etc.)

chris.hinton

International Captain
I haven't purchased any Wisdens but lately was thinking of purchasing one, most probably from years between 1950-1968.

As it's a massive book with almost 1000 pages with scorecards, match reports and of course quality writing, I wanted to know from guys who own them...how do you read it? Is it like a reference guide, reading random pages of interest and ignoring others? And how much time does it takes to read the complete Wisden? Does it takes months...or a year? Just curious to know. :)
When i buy it. I read the stuff i want first and glance around the other stuff. It's not really possible to read from cover to cover a lot of it is good reference like the rules for example

271 & 16/166

School Boy/Girl Captain
Having purchased every Wisden since 1963, it's the anticipation of a new copy being released which is enjoyable, living in Melbourne I pre order in March through Bloomsbury. I first flick to the editor comments then then the obituaries and then read the feature articles. It's normally glanced at through to about August, next to my bed, usually reading stats and records and the births and deaths register then its retired to my heaving bookshelf for history.