• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you read a Wisden Almanack?

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
I haven't purchased any Wisdens but lately was thinking of purchasing one, most probably from years between 1950-1968.

As it's a massive book with almost 1000 pages with scorecards, match reports and of course quality writing, I wanted to know from guys who own them...how do you read it? Is it like a reference guide, reading random pages of interest and ignoring others? And how much time does it takes to read the complete Wisden? Does it takes months...or a year? Just curious to know. :)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I tend to read the match reports about Essex, New Zealand, England and then a few other matches more randomly first. Might read an article or two. Put the tome aside on the bedside table and let it gather dust for a bit after that. Perhaps use it to prop the alarm clock up a bit higher so I can see the clock over the other pile of Wisdens. In summary, alarm clock knocked me on the head last time there was a minor earthquake. Wisdens are now largely relegated to the bookshelf.

tony p

First Class Debutant
I start with the Obituaries section, the last 20 years or so have been great with that section, very well written, so many players who have died you never knew who had.
Then I go to the feature articles, then the list of first-class centuries for the English season, then Kent's year, then the book reviews.
Then I dip in and out of the rest.
It was much easier when the issues were smaller, 1890-1930s, just mainly English focused on the County Championship. I pretty much read all the match descriptions in those.
The oldest Wisden I have is 1895 and it has around 450 pages, where as this years Wisden 2021 even in a Covid interupted time has 1250 pages.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
I start with the Obituaries section, the last 20 years or so have been great with that section, very well written, so many players who have died you never knew who had.
Then I go to the feature articles, then the list of first-class centuries for the English season, then Kent's year, then the book reviews.
Then I dip in and out of the rest.
It was much easier when the issues were smaller, 1890-1930s, just mainly English focused on the County Championship. I pretty much read all the match descriptions in those.
The oldest Wisden I have is 1895 and it has around 450 pages, where as this years Wisden 2021 even in a Covid interupted time has 1250 pages.
Interesting! Thanks for the info.