• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you feel about Shane Warne?

How do you feel about Shane Warne?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is the crux of why I think Richard is a hypocrite with his opinions. There are 1001 excuses for someone he adores (seen here) and just none for those he dislikes (see Hayden). Even seemingly the same criteria is used in different ways for different players.
Nonsense, I've explained why it's wrong to suggest that type of case applies to Hayden. In his case it wasn't one of the player getting better but the opposition getting worse.

And the fact that I dislike Hayden has nothing to do with how lowly I rate him. There are several players I ostensibly dislike (not that there's that many that I do dislike) yet rate to different degrees - a few examples being Damien Martyn, Shane Warne and Charl Willoughby. You have to get the stupid notion that I "dislike" players then look for reasons to "dislike" them out of your head. Well, no actually, you don't, as I know there's no hope of you doing so. But it'd help you understand things a bit more if you did.

abhijeet

Cricket Spectator
This thread is as entertaining, if not more so than Warne's personal life. :dry:

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Nonsense, I've explained why it's wrong to suggest that type of case applies to Hayden. In his case it wasn't one of the player getting better but the opposition getting worse.

And the fact that I dislike Hayden has nothing to do with how lowly I rate him. There are several players I ostensibly dislike (not that there's that many that I do dislike) yet rate to different degrees - a few examples being Damien Martyn, Shane Warne and Charl Willoughby. You have to get the stupid notion that I "dislike" players then look for reasons to "dislike" them out of your head. Well, no actually, you don't, as I know there's no hope of you doing so. But it'd help you understand things a bit more if you did.
You must really dislike him then if Atherton and Hussain > Hayden.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
This is the crux of why I think Richard is a hypocrite with his opinions. There are 1001 excuses for someone he adores (seen here) and just none for those he dislikes (see Hayden). Even seemingly the same criteria is used in different ways for different players.
Haha, Dont want to sound as if I am trying to provoke him, because I simply am not but I must say that I haved wanted to say this for quite some time.

Just one thing he will use the same criteria different ways for the same player. If he is arguing in favor of Imran Khan, he will say he should get points for bowling on the flattest decks in Pakistan, If he is arguing against Imran he will argue that he gets no point for all the success in Pakistani condition because it was his home surface, he knew how bowl on those surfaces better than others.

Anyone who thinks Hayden, an alltime great, is <<<< the pedestrians like Hussain and Artherton has very serious credibility issue on this forum and probably outside of it on matters related to cricket.

Last edited:

bond21

Banned
Im sorry but if you dont think Hayden is one of the best opening batsman of all time, you have a grudge against him and are unable to rate him fairly.

He averages I think 55 in test matches. When you open the batting and average 55, you are an exceptional batsman.

Opening is without a doubt the hardest position to bat, fresh bowlers, new ball etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone who thinks Hayden, an alltime great, is <<<< the pedestrians like Hussain and Artherton has very serious credibility issue on this forum and probably outside of it on matters related to cricket.
Nah.

bond21

Banned
please enlighten us as to which batting position is harder than opening?

I had no idea tired bowlers bowling with an older ball was harder...

bond21

Banned
have you ever opened the batting Richard against a good attack?

Or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
please enlighten us as to which batting position is harder than opening?

I had no idea tired bowlers bowling with an older ball was harder...
have you ever opened the batting Richard against a good attack?

Or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?
The problem arises with your use of the words "without doubt". It's a statement that can't be made beyond doubt, so therefore in the twilight zone it becomes a "wrong" statement.:)

bond21

Banned
shh, be very very quiet....we have spotted this very rare creature who doesnt like loud noises and likes arguing for the sake of arguing....

99*

International Debutant
I opened the batting when I played for my school, I found it much easier than any other position I've ever batted.
IMO I'd say batting #3 is much harder than opening, you come in after the first wicket so the bowlers are going to be hyped up, if it was a early wicket then you have to basically be another opener, if there was a big partnership then you are expected to carry on with it. #3's have a lot more pressure on them than openers.