• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How did Barbados and Antigua produce so many great cricketers?

bagapath

International Captain
It really is amazing. They have about 1/10th of Sydney's population and have an amazing side that could beat a rest of the world XI. West Indies does produce a lot of natural athletes though, plus their culture was very positive to cricket.
Australia has 3% of India's population. and I dont even want to imagine comparing NZ's population with India's

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
I think the success of Barbados and Antigua have a lot to do with the prominence of cricket on the sporting agendas of those countries. It's as follows....

1) cricket
2) daylight
3) more daylight
4) other sports

From my visits to Barbados, and chats with friends who are Antiguans, there is no other sport that has the appeal of cricket. this is in contrast with countries like Jamaica and trinidad, where cricket has to compete with football and athletics, and cricket sometimes loses out to those sports.

bagapath

International Captain
Thats not bad at all tbh. That middle order is top notch as is that pace attack.
i would bring in lloyd for kanhai for superior captaincy and gibbs in place of walsh for better balance in bowling. but it is a bloody good team either way.

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
I think the success of Barbados and Antigua have a lot to do with the prominence of cricket on the sporting agendas of those countries. It's as follows....

1) cricket
2) daylight
3) more daylight
4) other sports

From my visits to Barbados, and chats with friends who are Antiguans, there is no other sport that has the appeal of cricket. this is in contrast with countries like Jamaica and trinidad, where cricket has to compete with football and athletics, and cricket sometimes loses out to those sports.
All true. These days though, the competition from other sports has been on the increase. Particularly football and track (even American football to a lesser extent).