• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How come...

shankar

International Debutant
How come left-hand batsmen always look so naturally elegant? Even the really bad ones look elegant.In international cricket only bevan and fleming are the only 2 southpaws who arent very elegant.

Craig

World Traveller
Actually I would say Fleming has a degree of elegance in the way he bats.

When he plays the straight drive you know he is playing well.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Its the complete opposite in my experience! I dont like watching Left Handers as much as Right Handers...

RIGHT HANDERS

Michael Vaughan
Neil McKenzie
Mark Waugh
VVS Laxman
Mohammad Azharuddin
Sachin Tendulkar

LEFT HANDERS

Marcus Trescothick
Graeme Smith
Matt Hayden (lol!)
Adam Gilchrist
Shiv Chanderpaul

Do you still feel the same about lefties?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Left-handers have a natural advantage in cricket IMO. Left-arm bowlers I consider to be generally more threatening to right-handed batsmen than the right-arm variety. Since there are so many right-handers in world cricket as compared to lefties, the advantage is clear.

It's the same with left-handed batsmen. The ball is easier to hit straight when it is angled across you and also it is easier to play the cut and guide.

shankar

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Do you still feel the same about lefties?
Yes I do. Havent you noticed this? Give a bat to a left-hander who's never played cricket before and ask him to play a shot. He will look elegant. They seem to have this natural elegance. I've watched myself playing a shot in the mirror and I look a lot more elegant.I'm very jealous of this ability of theirs.

Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
It's the same with left-handed batsmen. The ball is easier to hit straight when it is angled across you and also it is easier to play the cut and guide.
I've noticed it too. It also seems as if its easier for a leftie to hit the ball really fine than a right-hander.

twctopcat

International Regular
The same with football, all the sweetest strikers of the ball are left footed. Must be some random genetics.

shankar

International Debutant
I'm not saying that left-handers are more elegant than the right-handers in international cricket. It's just that all of them have it. Its inborn. This is what confuses me.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Maybe it is a perception that left handers actually look better than right handers....as the majority of the population are right handers, to see a leftie play is something different, so it is better looking......just throwing a suggestion out there!:)

Langeveldt

Soutie
SquidAU said:
Maybe it is a perception that left handers actually look better than right handers....as the majority of the population are right handers, to see a leftie play is something different, so it is better looking......just throwing a suggestion out there!:)

Not sure I agree with you :) I think its just some propoganda to make "kak" handers feel more secure about themselves...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't believe no one has picked this up yet...

Matthew Hayden is a left hander...:lol: :lol: :saint:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
(If you don't know what I'm on about, then of course you haven't seen him bat)

Gilchrist isn't exactly elegent either.

I would say Fleming and Lara are quite elegent, Lara more so.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rik said:
I can't believe no one has picked this up yet...

Matthew Hayden is a left hander...:lol: :lol: :saint:

I cant believe you didnt pick up on the fact that ive already mentioned this :) And Gilly... In fact, Mark Waugh aside, the aussies dont produce many elegant cricketers....

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
I cant believe you didnt pick up on the fact that ive already mentioned this :)
I thought you were hinting at it, but I didn't see any full-on mention...

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah I second you on that mate.....

Matthew Hayden is all power and muscle, whilst VVS Laxman is as smooth and as elegant as you will ever see.

Laxman is definitely the most elegant batsman in World Cricket at the moment.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Matthew Hayden, IMO is the most inelegant (is that word) player, and he's a leftie. Give anybody a bat and he will look better than hayden :lol:

btw shankar, me from madras too :D

shankar

International Debutant
ReallyCrazy said:
btw shankar, me from madras too :D
Hi RC. Nice to know.

But nobody's addressing the question...Forget abt. international cricketers...Have you noticed that lefties are naturally elegant? If so then why is it so?