• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How’s the next ICC FTP looking for your team - 2023-27 and beyond?

Xuhaib

International Coach
So what? how many teams in the world play cricket professionally. 8 out of 10 are only interested in playing test Cricket. The game is already damaged due to leagues like ipl occupying windows of two months. BCCI behaves like a bully ? in modern day cricket
It's good Australian tour is the biggest torture for Pakistani fan we have been minnow level there since 2004 last competitive series was 99 even if it was 3-0

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ramiz Rqja continues to show what a buffoon he is and he should have stayed in the comm box for eternity.

Nothing is stopping Pakistan for making all home tests in to 3 match series that alone would have added another 6-7 tests and brought the numbers in mid range a little below big 3 but they are not bothered, looks like Bobby will miss out on even 8k test runs due to the board lack of support for test cricket what a shame?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA playing so many 2 Test series is ****ing horrendous and for the first time I hope that they win the Test championship just so it is shown how pathetic it is to have consecutive test championship winners (NZ) be treated like that... And I know that is as much about the home boards as anybody else's.

Xuhaib

International Coach
PCB, CSA and SLC should reevaluate their commitment to the long term health of the game in their country massive props to BD and NZL for showing interest in growing test cricket in their country especially for BD whose results have gone down in last couple of years it could have been very easy for them to push for more jamodi and T - 20's

Chrish

International Debutant
I thought india vs Australia series in india was happening next year ? I swear i read about it. Is it still a green light? I am not seeing it on schedule.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I thought india vs Australia series in india was happening next year ? I swear i read about it. Is it still a green light? I am not seeing it on schedule.
It is there and it is part of the current FTP. The ones listed here are part of the next FTP.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
So it's basically the end of West Indies as a test side if they stick to this. Just when our red ball team returns to some sort of light competitiveness whilst our white ball teams are associate level, they release an FTP that has us playing 26 tests in 5 years but 48 ODI's and 73 T20I's (considerably more than any other team). We have literally one 3 test series against England in 2024.

Of course our young players will prioritise white ball cricket, it's almost all they will get to play at international level. The big 3 are literally killing cricket outside of their own bubble. There are some seriously selfish people in charge of world cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So it's basically the end of West Indies as a test side if they stick to this. Just when our red ball team returns to some sort of light competitiveness whilst our white ball teams are associate level, they release an FTP that has us playing 26 tests in 5 years but 48 ODI's and 73 T20I's (considerably more than any other team). We have literally one 3 test series against England in 2024.

Of course our young players will prioritise white ball cricket, it's almost all they will get to play at international level. The big 3 are literally killing cricket outside of their own bubble. There are some seriously selfish people in charge of world cricket.
Pretty sure the boards of WI, SL etc. are the ones asking for more LO games at the cost of lesser test matches.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Pretty sure the boards of WI, SL etc. are the ones asking for more LO games at the cost of lesser test matches.
But why do they have to do that? Because of the revenue sharing model which makes it impossible for us to even cover our costs on most tours whilst the big 3 play each other a record number of times and rake in the $$$.

Test cricket won't survive in a number of places if this remains the same.

Slifer

International Captain
But why do they have to do that? Because of the revenue sharing model which makes it impossible for us to even cover our costs on most tours whilst the big 3 play each other a record number of times and rake in the $$$.

Beamer I feel your pain and if the so called big 3 think test cricket will survive assuming the rest go under they are sadly mistaken. Imagine if only England , Australia and India are the only ones left playing tests year after year. Yeah, no one is paying to see that.

Flem274*

123/5
Beamer I feel your pain and if the so called big 3 think test cricket will survive assuming the rest go under they are sadly mistaken. Imagine if only England , Australia and India are the only ones left playing tests year after year. Yeah, no one is paying to see that.
unfortunately they are.

though it might push the sport to be more club based for variety...which they're also very fine with.

it's like cricket looked at rugby league with a couple of club competitions being the bread and butter and only a few provinces across 3 nations caring about the sport and thought 'that there, that's what we need to be'.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

While I generally agree, just playing devil's advocate you have to keep in mind that none of this is a charity. Professional cricket is a business and we can't expect a perpetual sinking of money into unprofitable markets.

The idea that investment will pay off ie. short-term pain, long-term gain by sinking money into minnows or Tests where there isn't a market for it, is an attractive one but it's also possible that it would never pay off.

Likewise with individual boards like WI and NZ. We can't expect them to keep losing money by scheduling more Tests than T20Is just because we like them more.

The market dictates what it wants

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I tend to think that Test cricket won't survive long term if it's only played by the 3 or 4 teams that make money from it and some investment into lesser profitable markets is necessary for the overall health of the international game. The question is to what extent.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I want to know what is the point of having Test status if you aren't part of the WTC. On behalf of Zimbabwe, Ireland and Afghanistan.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Nah, the bigger reason is that T20s are simply more popular. The revenue sharing model was reframed not long ago too and I dont think any of that is as much an issue as the fact that you all have very limited prime non-rainy season and irrespective of what revenue you get from ICC, your boards would still squeeze in time for their own T20 franchise based league anyways.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Pathetic from BCCI & CSA to play a 2 match Test series from now onwards. That's not good enough. A 3 test series is bare minimum. Here's hoping SA wins WTC to make these idiots think twice before going through with that.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
While I generally agree, just playing devil's advocate you have to keep in mind that none of this is a charity. Professional cricket is a business and we can't expect a perpetual sinking of money into unprofitable markets.

The idea that investment will pay off ie. short-term pain, long-term gain by sinking money into minnows or Tests where there isn't a market for it, is an attractive one but it's also possible that it would never pay off.

Likewise with individual boards like WI and NZ. We can't expect them to keep losing money by scheduling more Tests than T20Is just because we like them more.

The market dictates what it wants