• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hodge an option as Aussie Test opener ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he starts next (Aussie) season poorly, I hope not. Am never in favour of picking a player without recent runs to his name.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
If he starts next (Aussie) season poorly, I hope not. Am never in favour of picking a player without recent runs to his name.
He's got longer than Hodge and Watson though, as they'll most likely be on the one-dayers in India playing 7 or sat on the sidelienes. It's only really Rogers he has to out-score in that case.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I could see Hodge winning marks for scoring in the ODIs (and hence I hope he does), wrong though I consider that to be.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I could see Hodge winning marks for scoring in the ODIs (and hence I hope he does), wrong though I consider that to be.
But he isn't even in the first team. Unless Watson gets injured again, and I wouldn't wish that on the poor bloke.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I could see Hodge getting in if Hussey moves to open, that's the thing.

I've always been of the opinion that Hodge has more of a case than either Jacques or Rogers, even if both were indeed scoring bucktfuls on the continue.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hodge has just looked good whenever I've seen him bat. A really clean striker of the ball, with a good orthodox technique, a gun player all round.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I could see Hodge getting in if Hussey moves to open, that's the thing.

I've always been of the opinion that Hodge has more of a case than either Jacques or Rogers, even if both were indeed scoring bucktfuls on the continue.
I think they're more likely to try to bed a younger opener in whilst Hayden is there, have him as a mentor, rather than promote Hussey. That way, in 18 months they can either move up Hussey to replace Hayden and bring in another middle-order bat, or bring in a new opener with someone already there with experience.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hodge would be gone from the reckoning, likely, by then, though.

Which would be a shame, as he deserves a decent shot at a Test career.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hodge would be gone from the reckoning, likely, by then, though.

Which would be a shame, as he deserves a decent shot at a Test career.
Thing is, not everyone gets a shot they deserve. He's unlucky that there isn't really anyone in the team who needs replacing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's why I hate it. It'd be a far fairer decision to promote Hussey NOW and pick Hodge in the middle while he's still just about young enough.

I can't see having either Hayden or Hussey present with a debutant\new opener playing will make any difference, either, TBH. If the new batsman is good enough, he'll deliver, if he's not he won't. I don't believe his partner will really make a difference. In any case, if, say, Jacques, came in in 2008\09 to partner Hussey, that'd hardly be a bad player to come in to partner, would it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will see if I can find it... was from Jack (who's involved in the Victoria set-up). And yeah, **** is bad. A clue: it begins and ends with t.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
That's why I hate it. It'd be a far fairer decision to promote Hussey NOW and pick Hodge in the middle while he's still just about young enough.

I can't see having either Hayden or Hussey present with a debutant\new opener playing will make any difference, either, TBH. If the new batsman is good enough, he'll deliver, if he's not he won't. I don't believe his partner will really make a difference. In any case, if, say, Jacques, came in in 2008\09 to partner Hussey, that'd hardly be a bad player to come in to partner, would it?
No... but I still think Jaques deserves his chance too, if you're going to use that argument. Why mess about with Hussey, he's good where he is. Better to leave him there really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's good opening, too. I wish Rob (Prince EWS) had answered my question the last time this was discussed - I'd always thought he had opened with great success for WA. He seemed like he might have been suggesting otherwise. But I wasn't sure.

As long as Hussey has had some success opening for WA it only makes sense to have him there. Sure, Jacques (presuming he starts scoring again... hopefully soon) deserves a shot, too, but he's 4 years younger than Hodge and doesn't need to get in quite so soon.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
He's good opening, too. I wish Rob (Prince EWS) had answered my question the last time this was discussed - I'd always thought he had opened with great success for WA. He seemed like he might have been suggesting otherwise. But I wasn't sure.

As long as Hussey has had some success opening for WA it only makes sense to have him there. Sure, Jacques (presuming he starts scoring again... hopefully soon) deserves a shot, too, but he's 4 years younger than Hodge and doesn't need to get in quite so soon.
Yeah, I know he's a good opener. Just that he kind of fits nicely there at four now and he's been very successful in the middle order at test level.

I don't think they always want to be bringing 32-year-olds into the team though. To be honest, I never thought Hodge should have been dropped to bring Martyn back. But that's done now, and due to the timing of Martyn's retirement Hodge was injured and another player got a chance. It's hard to see a way back for him now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lehmann was even older than that (33 IIRR) when he was brought back (massively, massively deservedly so) in 2002\03, so I haven't lost hope quite yet. :) And he had, if not an outstanding career thereafter, then one that at least did something closer to justice to his ability than what he'd had previously (4 Tests, 1 half-century or summat).

For me, though, you should pick your best team for the current time. Worry about 3 years' time in 3 years. If the players are good enough, they'll come good then. In the meantime, pick those who are best at the current time.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Lehmann was even older than that (33 IIRR) when he was brought back (massively, massively deservedly so) in 2002\03, so I haven't lost hope quite yet. :) And he had, if not an outstanding career thereafter, then one that at least did something closer to justice to his ability than what he'd had previously (4 Tests, 1 half-century or summat).

For me, though, you should pick your best team for the current time. Worry about 3 years' time in 3 years. If the players are good enough, they'll come good then. In the meantime, pick those who are best at the current time.
I don't really care about Hodge really, I just want Watto back ;) But I don't think this would be the most likely time.

I agree about picking the best team for the time. But it's good to have one eye on the future. That's something it seems the Aussies always do well. Unfortunately. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In doing that they go too far of times, too, and drop players like David Boon who still have something to offer. Fine idea picking Greg Blewett and Michael Bevan ahead of him turned-out to be...

I completely want to see Watson in the team, too, and have generally presumed it's a foregone conclusion he'll play if in condition and anything resembling form. He's one whose had his chance snatched away at least twice by factors outside his control.

But I can get Hodge and Watson in the team easily enough. Heck, they would both very possibly have played last summer but for their respective injuries. Clarke had become a superb player in the interim and deserved his chance to reclaim his place. But it will always sicken me that Symonds got the chance to play that blasted lucky innings instead of both. :@