• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hobbs or Hutton?

Who's the greater opener?

• Total voters

the big bambino

International Captain
But don't you want to subtract Sunny's runs from team india's batting performance to determine the amount he boosted the team's batting average? I think you've got the Indian bowling figures. I think you've proved India bowl better without him which I'm not sure is the point you want to make. Go to Starfighter's post. See the difference in the parameters. You went for aggregate totals right? Well it looks like it gave you a default bowling stat - I believe. He went for batting team parameter and it produced a different result. The one you would want. Look, overall it seems Bradman boosted his team's average by about 6 and Sunny his by 3. Which is what you'd expect. He averaged near double than Sunny and they both played around the same proportion of their team's innings.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Address the rest of the issues you intellectual dwarf, they're the more substantive ones.
I just provided stats from statsguru as a reply.. With this ? smiley.
If you can not figure it out from that i am helpless Mr. Substantive post maker.

Also, playing in a stronger team has its advantages.. Admit it or not.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
But don't you want to subtract Sunny's runs from team india's batting performance to determine the amount he boosted the team's batting average? I think you've got the Indian bowling figures. I think you've proved India bowl better without him which I'm not sure is the point you want to make. Go to Starfighter's post. See the difference in the parameters. You went for aggregate totals right? Well it looks like it gave you a default bowling stat - I believe. He went for batting team parameter and it produced a different result. The one you would want. Look, overall it seems Bradman boosted his team's average by about 6 and Sunny his by 3. Which is what you'd expect. He averaged near double than Sunny and they both played around the same proportion of their team's innings.
Provide a link or screenshot.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its this one! See the stat for balls bowled and RPO. I'm thinking its a bowling stat. The average is for the bowlers - I believe.
I just figured out what's going on here. It's an aggregate of all the matches played by India involving Gavaskar in the seventies. If you divide the number of wickets by the number of matches it comes to 29.9, which is reasonable when you note twenty-seven out of sixty are draws. It's the aggregate average across both teams in those matches.

His 'without Gavaskar' average is the aggregate average of the four (4) matches that India played in the seventies without Gavaskar. Tiny sample aside, plenty of other reasons aggregate averages can be lower too.

I just provided stats from statsguru as a reply.
You really are an A-grade nong. You don't understand the figures you present. No way you could comprehend why you're wrong.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Ah ok the aggregate ave of both sides. I got suspicious when I saw your post after his and thought he pulled the wrong set of numbers. I mean I did the same too and got a bit perplexed when I got different figures when I searched under different parameters. Its been a long time since I've statsguru'd and got a bit rusty. But I recognised the Australia figure in your post and got somewhat back on track from that. I mean I did complain that something weird was happening at cricinfo but it was my search input that was faulty.

I just think he saw a set of numbers that fitted his bias and never questioned it. In fact I bet his eyes bugged out ? He should've wondered how a man whose average is half of another's could be more influential on his team's overall average. Especially as they both played approximately the same proportion of their team's innings.

Slifer

International Captain
As someone who knows about that match, Marshall had Gavaskar plumb lbw in the first innings. Marshall eliminated the need for the umpire in the 2nd innings. Oh and he won MOTM (Marshall) as well....

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
This is definitely a bowling stat. These are the stats for Gavaskar and Bradman you’re looking for.

With Gavaskar. Without Gavaskar.

With Bradman. Without Bradman.

Putting aside the tiny sample sizes, Sunny’s entire missed matches were against a very good Windies bowling side, and all bar one of the Don’s were against an absolutely awful South African bowling side.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
This is definitely a bowling stat. These are the stats for Gavaskar and Bradman you’re looking for.

With Gavaskar. Without Gavaskar.

With Bradman. Without Bradman.

Putting aside the tiny sample sizes, Sunny’s entire missed matches were against a very good Windies bowling side, and all bar one of the Don’s were against an absolutely awful South African bowling side.

With Gavaskar 30.5
Without Gavaskar 24.3

With Bradman 34.8
Without Bradman 38.5

?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact that this is now Bradman V Gavaskar very clearly proves Gavaskar >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hobbs/Hutton. Lets continue discussing the bronze medal question now.
The posting here by Gavaskar fans proves nothing. To mention him in the same breath as Bradman is drawing a long bow. To rate him above Hobbs/Hutton is swimming against the tide of expert opinion. I've said before that Gavaskar is worthy of ATG status but plenty of polls and surveys in other threads have rated him below Hutton and Hobbs. For instance, the voting in the ATG batsman poll resulted in 1. Bradman 2. Hobbs 7. Hutton 9, Gavaskar
This seems more in line with other rankings and puts @honestbharani out of step. I'm sure the post was tongue in cheek.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
The posting here by Gavaskar fans proves nothing. To mention him in the same breath as Bradman is drawing a long bow. To rate him above Hobbs/Hutton is swimming against the tide of expert opinion. I've said before that Gavaskar is worthy of ATG status but plenty of polls and surveys in other threads have rated him below Hutton and Hobbs. For instance, the voting in the ATG batsman poll resulted in 1. Bradman 2. Hobbs 7. Hutton 9, Gavaskar
This seems more in line with other rankings and puts @honestbharani out of step. I'm sure the post was tongue in cheek.
Nobody equating Gavaskar to Bradman ( except Len Hutton ), it was just era analysis.
Rating Gavaskar higher than Hutton is swimming along with the tide of expert opinion, unless you think CW opinion = Expert opinion.
Hobbs.. Is a different case, he is in the company of Sobers and Sachin.

For me its, Gavaskar > Hutton > Hobbs though.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Nobody equating Gavaskar to Bradman ( except Len Hutton ), it was just era analysis.
Rating Gavaskar higher than Hutton is swimming along with the tide of expert opinion, unless you think CW opinion = Expert opinion.
Hobbs.. Is a different case, he is in the company of Sobers and Sachin.

For me its, Gavaskar > Hutton > Hobbs though.
No. But in this case expert opinion happens to coincide with CW opinion.

Are you sure you used > (greater than) correctly? If so, I find it strange that you rate Gavaskar and Hutton ahead of Hobbs who you say is in the same company of Sobers and Sachin. If I was rating those five it would be

Hobbs > Sobers > Tendulkar >> Hutton > Gavaskar

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Are you sure you used > (greater than) correctly? If so, I find it strange that you rate Gavaskar and Hutton ahead of Hobbs who you say is in the same company of Sobers and Sachin. If I was rating those five it would be

He rates Gavaskar over Tendulkar too.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Eh I wouldn’t personally say >> than Hutton and Gavaskar, though I completely agree with that order, I’d say the the top 10 or so could all be put in roughly the same tier and basically we’re splitting hairs at this point. For me btw Gavaskar is probably just outside the top 10 at 11 or 12.