• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical multi-role bowlers

shortpitched713

International Captain
Why is it that guys like Bill Johnston, Tony Greig, and even Garfield Sobers could all bowl both styles of seam up and spin, when you see literally no one attempt that kind of thing today?

Is it just down to professionalism leading to greater specialization, or is there some aspect of the game that made these kind of bowlers especially necessary in the past? Because I think even now, if you could get a player who could use either style coming in as a change bowler, depending on the conditions it would be a massive boon to the team. They could even take advantage of more bounce in a first innings, and a deteriorating pitch that turns in the second innings. It's crazy that this just poofed and vanished, when it was a very real threat in the not so distant past.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I wouldn't say that three players (whose careers all overlap, incidentally) are exactly that strong a case for it being surprising that no-one does it nowadays. I think with each of them, one type came along later than the others. Johnston started as spinner, but combined with less success bowling slow, took up fast bowling to further his chances of success at high level, and suspect mostly bowled pace.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is it that guys like Bill Johnston, Tony Greig, and even Garfield Sobers could all bowl both styles of seam up and spin, when you see literally no one attempt that kind of thing today?

Is it just down to professionalism leading to greater specialization, or is there some aspect of the game that made these kind of bowlers especially necessary in the past? Because I think even now, if you could get a player who could use either style coming in as a change bowler, depending on the conditions it would be a massive boon to the team. They could even take advantage of more bounce in a first innings, and a deteriorating pitch that turns in the second innings. It's crazy that this just poofed and vanished, when it was a very real threat in the not so distant past.
Last, we had Sachin Tendulkar who could bowl all of it and Colin Miller was famous for that too.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Interesting one for me is Chris Harris. Who built up the first half of his career bowling seam up medium slow inswingers, then transformed himself in second half to bowling same(ish) speed leg spinners/rollers.

But, despite watching a lot of him bowl, I never recall him transferring between the 2 once he switched. Not even slipping in a single surprise seam-up faster ball during a spell, like Shahid Afridi's quicker one.

A career of 2 halves, rather than a multi-role bowler.

I'd also say similar for Mark Waugh, but I didn't see as many of his games, so he may have multi-roled without my knowing.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think it's as much 'increased professionalism' as 'forced siloing'. A lot of the examples cited started off one style before switching to the another and then employing both. Unless you're established for your batting IMO it's harder to do that now, even at the junior group level. And modern captains seem to be really reluctant to give such experiments a go. You also see less imagination in terms of, say, variations of pace in tests than you used to.

Also, frankly I'd much rather be discussing historical muti-role fighters.