• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical footage: Impressions of some greats

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a shame that the British Film Institute doesn't let anyone outside of the UK view the films that are available for free on their site. They seem to be in possession of quite a lot of mostly amateur cricket films from the thirties and also the fifties. But it's pointless if I can't view them.

Starfighter

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/...-RONALD-HALCOMBE-FILMED-IN-SLOW/query/cricket

High-speed footage of Ron Halcombe, the WA fast bowler who was called for throwing a time or two. The footage tends to show perhaps why.

It does frustrate me that although they obviously had capable enough high-speed cameras in this era (the Lord's test 1926 has lots of high speed footage) nobody ever thought of making them bowl in front of grid and measuring how fast they were actually bowling. It seems like such a simple method but that's in hindsight.

Starfighter

From 0:58 to 1:40 is footage of the first test match ever played in India. Unfortunately it's a bit hard telling who's who.

Starfighter

Alf Gover takes 5/93 for the South against the North in 1936. The whirly armed bowler right at the end is Reg Perks, who played two tests and later captained Worcestershire and was still opening the bowling in his last first class season, at age 43 in 1955.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Not sure if this has been posted before, but this is a short doc on West Indians who played in the Lancashire League. There's a few glimpses of Constantine in action as well as other archival pictures.

Midwinter

State Captain
Not sure if this has been posted before, but this is a short doc on West Indians who played in the Lancashire League. There's a few glimpses of Constantine in action as well as other archival pictures.
Nice post thanks for that

I'm pretty sure that if I was facing Charlie Griffith on a Saturday afternoon I would be out clean bowled too. I would probably be at square leg when he let the ball go

:)

Last edited: