• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical footage: Impressions of some greats

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
1962–63 Ashes, 5th test, Sydney

Lot of similar footage of this series floating around, but this one contains several nice side-on studies of bowlers between 0.40 and 2.35; shown are Trueman, Statham (wide shot), Benaud, O'Neill, Davidson, McKenzie, Hawke, Simpson, Statham and Trueman again, Dexter and Titmus (Allen left out for some reason, and England bowled Barrington and Graveney (ahead of Illingworth, who only bowled 15 overs in the match) in the final innings).

Incidentally, Fred Titmus—who can be seen here almost but not quite flighting the ball—was fourth in England's batting averages for the series with 36.4.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Back in the days of the back foot no-ball law. Trueman can be seen clearly here dragging his back foot to great effect. Wonderful find NotMcK!

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was interested in footage of Hutton batting. Such a famed technician he was. Naturally the child inside me went through the archives. Wasn't let down.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Now here's an interesting one. A documentary (there's five parts in total) about a Lancashire League match in 1949, Rawtenstall vs Bacup. This part includes footage of the league professionals including players such as Weekes and Tribe. The actual match, shown in parts 4 and 5, was attended by about 10,000.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Anyway...

I don't think this has been posted in this thread yet, although I posted it elsewhere.

This is a compilation of amateur movies shot during the tour of Australia and New Zealand by the M.C.C. in 1935/36.

Scorecards of Australian Portion/
Scorecard of New Zealand Portion/

The first bowler shown is WA's Ron Halcombe, a confirmed chucker (no-balled in 1930), who took 0/64 and 0/25 as his career was sliding to a halt.

The MCC bowler at 1:52 is Sandy Baxter, who took 1/77 (1st innings only) and who also appears again at 23:02 against a New Zealand XI at Auckland (from scorecards) where he took 4/86 and 1/9. His bowler action is quite remeniscent of Mike Proctor's.

The bowler in the Otago match at 16:10 is probably George Dickinson, who played two tests against England in 1929/30, and took 1/139 in this match as MCC compiled 550 to win by an innings and 115 runs. It is certainly one of the most remarkable bowling actions I have seen, slingy and very round-arm.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, it's only one shot, not entirely in frame, and not even in a match, but I thought some might be interested to see Tom Pritchard.

At 1:30