• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Headingley

Who replaces Harmison?

• Gough

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Kirby

• Silverwood

• A McGrath as a batsman and 4th seamer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bell as a batsman and 4th seamer (CMJ and Dermot Reeve)

• Kabir Ali

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Ramprakash (suggested on TMS by a listener)

• Thorpe (suggested on TMS by Graham Gooch)

• Johnson / Hoggard (if either are fit)

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Get AA an English passport and all our problems are over!

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Langeveldt

Soutie
I say Johnson/Hoggard or Silverwood/Kirby if they are not fit...

I hope whoever comes in does really well, and then the SH debate can be settled for good...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Since he's been bowling since I posted this, I think he may well be fit for the 4th match, in which case he will play in an unchanged side I expect.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
then there is n't much point to this thread then! anyway, it took me a while, but i went for the last option. england would have to look no further.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Right...

Gough - has retired for a reason, namely the 1st & 2nd Tests
Kirby - is right in line there and is impressing.
Silverwood - bowled 7 wides, most in the first over today, surely making him eligible for unceasing abuse. He has a chance but you've got to wonder if we need someone so injury prone?
A McGrath as a batsman and 4th seamer - dropped to CC to recover form, has shown none.
Bell as a batsman and 4th seamer (CMJ and Dermot Reeve) - Bell? Fourth Seamer? Not in a Test Match yet.
Kabir Ali - see Kirby
Ramprakash (suggested on TMS by a listener) - Get me his name and address and I will deal with him.
Thorpe (suggested on TMS by Graham Gooch) - We've already established why he's a liability for England. And besides, three seamers isn't enough.
Johnson / Hoggard (if either are fit) - see brackets. They won't be.
Get AA an English passport and all our problems are over! - seems likelier than some...

Harmison will stay in. And note his performance in this test has been the best he's bowled for England :)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
New to the forums (Worcestershire supporter for what its worth :)).
But WHO THE HELL is AA? :D

I think the only reasons both Kirby and Kabir havent played for england already is due to the fact they both ply their trade in Division 2.
Hopefully with Worcs gaining promotion Kabir can show his worth in Div 1 and get a well deserved call up, although saying that although he gets wickets, he is far too expensive. ala Anderson.
But atm i think england wont care how many runs a bowler goes for as long as he can get the wickets.
Personally id like to see Hoggard back soon he seemed to have been just getting back into form before he got injured.
Harmison has the potential to become a top 10 world bowler, but alas he seriously has to sort out his radar before thats even a remote possibility.

Jones will be back for the winter but he's far to wayward as well and theres no way we can have a team with Harmison, Anderson and Jones together, infact we should only play 1 of them (Anderson) at a time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AA is the greatest player ever.

Note I posted this when he was injured. Since then he's bowled today what has (on more than one forum/mailing list that I'm on) been described as his best spell for England yet, suggests he will stay.

As for this 1st division argument re: Kirby and Kabir, I don't buy it.

Kirby did nothing last year in D1, and as yet there's no discernable gap between the 2 divisions to discount performances based on division.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
New to the forums (Worcestershire supporter for what its worth :)).
But WHO THE HELL is AA? :D

Welcome, SpaceMonkey.
No problem with you being a Worcestershire supporter - we tolerate most sorts here *cough*not nottinghamshire*cough*

AA is our lord and master - Ajit Agarkar.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I seriously hope you dont mean Agarkar (sp?) when you mean AA :)
Cos the guy is pants :)

It was intriging to see harmison bowl his best spell ive ever seen him bowl when he was forced to bowl off a shorter run up and not try to bowl at 100% of his speed.
Hopefully the England coaching staff will note this and we might see a new and improved Harmison run up come Headingly and further afield (if he's fit to play).

It was widely known that last year Kirby just had a bad season, similar to a golfer getting the yipps. He just lost it.
Much like fellow yorkshiremen Gavin Hamilton did last season.
But he has come back this season more like the promise he showed as a youngster.

As for no disearnable gap between the divisions.
Just look at the Bonus points from the 2 Divisions.
Not one Divison 2 side has got even 35 batting points.
Yet 3 Div 1 sides have over 40! batting bonus points.

This just shows that Division 1 has alot better batting (or that somehow div 1 has worse bowlers, which i doubt :P)

Also compare the front line batting of teams like Derbyshire / Somerset and Durham in division 2 compared to the batting line up of teams like Surrey, Lancashire, Middlesex and Warwickshire and its clear to me that as far as bowling goes it makes ahell of alot of difference as to which division they ply their trade in when it comes to taking their average into account.
This might have also being why glenn chapple got into the england squad dispite his poor Div1 average compared to other bowlers good div2 average.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Harmison will stay in. And note his performance in this test has been the best he's bowled for England :)
Sadly, if this is the best he has bowled for England then match figures of 25-4-58-2 tell their own story :(

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
SpaceMonkey said:
Harmison has the potential to become a top 10 world bowler, but alas he seriously has to sort out his radar before thats even a remote possibility.
You can't teach radar, it's something you either have or don't. Oddly Harmison occasionally has it but then forgets everything and bowls a ton of ****e. The guy can bowl some good spells but allways lets the pressure off afterwards. That is what is so infuriating about the selectors consistantly picking him when there are bowlers like Kirtley who have waited around for ages and actually have the ability to keep the pressure on.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Actually you can teach radar. You can also acquire it over time with experience.
Radar is the ability to bowl a ball at least straight at least most of the time. Harmison has never had that.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
Radar is the ability to bowl a ball at least straight at least most of the time. Harmison has never had that.
I'm not referring to Harmison. I talking generally. I've never seen Harmison bowl.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Sadly, if this is the best he has bowled for England then match figures of 25-4-58-2 tell their own story :(
Not a valid argument - figures do lie - and how!.

You'll be saying that Anderson bowled really well in the first innings next because the scorebook says so.

For me, all the bowlers have complemented each other one way or another in this game - on both sides.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Not a valid argument - figures do lie - and how!.

You'll be saying that Anderson bowled really well in the first innings next because the scorebook says so.

For me, all the bowlers have complemented each other one way or another in this game - on both sides.
I'm just showing how however well Harmison bowls he doesn't show it in the things that matter, wickets. In that case he's like Flintoff. Anyway in this Test from what I've seen Kirtley has still outperformed Harmison, and what I have seen of Harmy hasn't been eye opening stuff.

I have NOT said Anderson bowled well, but I HAVE said that it takes a quality bowler to take 5for without ever seeming near his best.