• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has the time come to groom Michael Clarke as the future captain?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Clarke basically had 2 bad test series(s) against Pakistan,New Zealand (in New Zealand) and then he had an average Ashes series in 05 (where after starting well by scoring a 90 odd in first test he kept on scoring a lot of 40's but just wasn't able to turn them into a big score).
He then had 2 bad test matches against the World XI, WI was then finally dropped.
I think now Clarke knows that he is an important member of the test side too after the retirement of Marto so that might help him play a lot more freely and in the recent Ashes series one more thing was pretty evident that he has tightened his technique a bit and has stopped playing shots in the air through the infield.
This summer though would be a huge test of Michael Clarke the batsman in test cricket and it would be interesting to see how he copes with this challenge.
From memory, Clarke's series at home vs New Zealand wasn't very good, aside from an awesome knock in the first innings he played. So the trot he had incorporated two and a half tests there as well as what ensued until he was dropped the next summer.
The way I see it there was the first 5 Tests followed by the next 14. Which was a poor start to a career, no two ways about.

Then there was The Ashes 2006\07 (or, at least, the opening 3 Tests), the first time he looked, to me, truly convincing (even though he wasn't originally selected). I'd expect him to go from strength to strength from here on in, based on how superbly calm-headed and well-judged his play was in those 3 games.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
As an England supporter, the main criteria for an Australian captain is that ability to really dislike them. As I find Clarke intensely irritating, I would say groom away!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I find Clarke intensely irritating
:huh: Really? So far in his career he's seemed totally benign to me, and while I was annoyed at him getting the runs he got early in his career (much to Cass' disgust) because I didn't think he came close to deserving selection, of late I've been quite happy for him to be as successful as he was at Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth last season (well, as happy as I ever am at seeing an Aussie score runs anyway). Obviously the quiet types are difficult to judge character, but from the little I can he seems pleasant enough.

BTW - if this thread doesn't tempt Cass into CC again, nothing ever will again.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
:huh: Really? So far in his career he's seemed totally benign to me, and while I was annoyed at him getting the runs he got early in his career (much to Cass' disgust) because I didn't think he came close to deserving selection, of late I've been quite happy for him to be as successful as he was at Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth last season (well, as happy as I ever am at seeing an Aussie score runs anyway). Obviously the quiet types are difficult to judge character, but from the little I can he seems pleasant enough.

BTW - if this thread doesn't tempt Cass into CC again, nothing ever will again.
Yes... he's annoying because he's just a bit all too perfect and wonderful really! I like the players with flaws :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:blink:

Ah well... flawed genius has always been a double-edged sword for me.

I like the Tendulkar type most anyday TBH.

Flawed geniuses you have to love and hate almost at the same time... and I just can't do that. :confused:

Julian87

State Captain
I still think there is a chance that Cameron White will be making a charge for the captaincy by the time Ponting is retiring, which in all seriousness, will be at least three years.

I don't think it will be long until White has sewn up a middle order spot in both forms of the game for Australia.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From memory, Clarke's series at home vs New Zealand wasn't very good, aside from an awesome knock in the first innings he played. So the trot he had incorporated two and a half tests there as well as what ensued until he was dropped the next summer.
He only played two innings, and tonned up in one of them.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I still think there is a chance that Cameron White will be making a charge for the captaincy by the time Ponting is retiring, which in all seriousness, will be at least three years.

I don't think it will be long until White has sewn up a middle order spot in both forms of the game for Australia.
We'll see if White can actually score runs for Victoria first, as his bowling isn't good enough to be deserving of the all-rounder tag.

Should be pretty close to cracking the ODI team soon though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the idea that a new leader needs to be earmarked and "groomed" is a bit premature. Ponting is only 32, and very likely has another four or five years at least before he steps down. To pick someone who is, as stated earlier, still largely unproven as a long term test performer so far away from the likely decision is silly. There is every chance that the landscape is going to be much different whenever Ponting leaves the job.

Let him actually become an entrenched batsman in the side first. I remember when Damien Martyn was publicly earmarked as a future test captain at a similar age. See how THAT worked out...
wow? Martyn WAS earmarked to be captain? Never heard of that before.

But you know, I do think he could have made a good captain, but then again, I am a bit of a fan of him, so I m probably juz being biased there... ;) :p

anyways, the thing is, I think Australia, or more specifically, the Australian selectors and the board, like to earmark captaincy contenders and groom them. I remember after his exploits in the Windies in 95, Steve Waugh was suddenly looked upon as a potential leader. The same happened with Ponting around 2002 or so... Now, it is happening with Clarke. I do think he has been picked already and the process of grooming him for his captaincy role has started too.

Quite interesting to note that apart from his stints as the national team's VC and his A tours as captain, he is also the one man who seems to be constantly around Ponting when big discussions are happening. Also, he seems to be the one man who Ponting takes advice from, apart from Gilchrist.....

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:
wow? Martyn WAS earmarked to be captain? Never heard of that before.

But you know, I do think he could have made a good captain, but then again, I am a bit of a fan of him, so I m probably juz being biased there... ;) :p
Yeah, and he was captaining WA at a very young age. IIRC, pretty much straight after he was dropped by the Australian team in the early 90's, he went back and captained his state. In the end, his game kept on going backwards, till he was dropped/was on the verge of being dropped from WA. From there, he came back and was relieved of a lot of responsibilty, and was just allowed to concentrate on his own game.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah, and he was captaining WA at a very young age. IIRC, pretty much straight after he was dropped by the Australian team in the early 90's, he went back and captained his state. In the end, his game kept on going backwards, till he was dropped/was on the verge of being dropped from WA. From there, he came back and was relieved of a lot of responsibilty, and was just allowed to concentrate on his own game.
Yep exactly right and it made him the better player for it.

Does anyone else think that if Test Cricket was played in front of no spectators Damian Martyn would have ended up being one of the best batsmen of the last 15 years?

I really think the whole media circus was an issue with him for the majority of his career.

In regards to M Clarke, I think he should be the vice-vice captain, because if Ponting was to get injured it would be too early for pup to be captain now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Does anyone else think that if Test Cricket was played in front of no spectators Damian Martyn would have ended up being one of the best batsmen of the last 15 years?

I really think the whole media circus was an issue with him for the majority of his career.
Well something certainly unhinged him - few seemed to me to be as close to being on-edge and as volatile throughout a 6-year career.