• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has the time come to groom Michael Clarke as the future captain?

pup11

International Coach
Australia's former coach John Buchanan thinks that time has come for Clarke to be handed over with leadership roles so that he can be groomed and tested in that role{http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/316570.html}, so do you guys agree with Buchanan or not?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
One would think that his first aim would be to establish himself as a proven Test player.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hasn't he already been vice captain a couple times in ODIs when Hussey was captain and Gilchirst was captain in India and Hussey was injuried. Add to the fact he captained Australia A a couple times ahead of experienced players like Hussey. I would say the grooming started a while back.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One would think that his first aim would be to establish himself as a proven Test player.
Quite - as of yet he's only had 1 really convincing Test-series (which he only played due to Shane Watson's injury).

Not that I'd not expect him to become established as his Ashes was a quite superbly solemn one, but as of yet it's all there is.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hasn't he already been vice captain a couple times in ODIs when Hussey was captain and Gilchirst was captain in India and Hussey was injuried. Add to the fact he captained Australia A a couple times ahead of experienced players like Hussey. I would say the grooming started a while back.
AWTA - he's been spoken of as a future Australian captain since before he even made his international debut, and it's been clear that he's being groomed long term for the job. More than anything, as other posters have noted, it's a case of pup establishing himself as a key fixture in the Australian line up, which I think he has gone a long way towards doing over the past 12 months after a shaky year or two following his honeymoon period.

Assuming he manages to hold his form and consolidate his position long term (which I think he will now), there's no doubt in my mind he's already been earmarked to take over from Gilly as vice-captain, before ascending to the top job when Punter decides to call it a day.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Quite - as of yet he's only had 1 really convincing Test-series (which he only played due to Shane Watson's injury).

Not that I'd not expect him to become established as his Ashes was a quite superbly solemn one, but as of yet it's all there is.
Yeah, his debut series in India was ****...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
His first 5 Tests were excellent, but those were more than cancelled-out by what followed.

pasag

RTDAS
Will be a pretty stark contrast as him as the face of Australian cricket as opposed to the two that came before him. There's no doubt that he's more in tune with todays day and age, though I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Guys like Ponting and Waugh are really a dying breed.

howardj

International Coach
Australia's former coach John Buchanan thinks that time has come for Clarke to be handed over with leadership roles so that he can be groomed and tested in that role{http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/316570.html}, so do you guys agree with Buchanan or not?
I disagree, instinctively, with anything Buch says.

So no.

pup11

International Coach
Clarke basically had 2 bad test series(s) against Pakistan,New Zealand (in New Zealand) and then he had an average Ashes series in 05 (where after starting well by scoring a 90 odd in first test he kept on scoring a lot of 40's but just wasn't able to turn them into a big score).
He then had 2 bad test matches against the World XI, WI was then finally dropped.
I think now Clarke knows that he is an important member of the test side too after the retirement of Marto so that might help him play a lot more freely and in the recent Ashes series one more thing was pretty evident that he has tightened his technique a bit and has stopped playing shots in the air through the infield.
This summer though would be a huge test of Michael Clarke the batsman in test cricket and it would be interesting to see how he copes with this challenge.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
From memory, Clarke's series at home vs New Zealand wasn't very good, aside from an awesome knock in the first innings he played. So the trot he had incorporated two and a half tests there as well as what ensued until he was dropped the next summer.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
I think the idea that a new leader needs to be earmarked and "groomed" is a bit premature. Ponting is only 32, and very likely has another four or five years at least before he steps down. To pick someone who is, as stated earlier, still largely unproven as a long term test performer so far away from the likely decision is silly. There is every chance that the landscape is going to be much different whenever Ponting leaves the job.

Let him actually become an entrenched batsman in the side first. I remember when Damien Martyn was publicly earmarked as a future test captain at a similar age. See how THAT worked out...