• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has Poor Umpiring Destroyed International Cricket?

Has Poor Umpiring Destroyed International Cricket?

• Yes, So long International Cricket.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Not really, The system with neutral umpires works fine.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No, The mistake making umpires add life to the game.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I like seeing Australians given out unfairly.

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
With the poor standard of umpiring in the Second Test in the Australia v West Indies series by a "neutral umpire" has it killed off the ideals of test cricket...

As an Aussie I'll be biased towards my country but, in the second test the first innings saw the loss of just four wickets J.Langer, M.Hayden, R.Ponting and D.Lehmann 2 of these weren't out and another was iffy. The second dig came to see J.L. given out again by a poor decision.

Even though Australia murdered the Windies it was a poor display by the umpires.

What is your view?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm torn on this one. Part of me says that poor umpiring standards tend to ruin cricket a lot but another part of me says that umpiring has always been this way - we're just able to see it better with better technology etc.

Even so, de Silva was just awful in that Test. I think with all the brow-beating from the Tests he officiated in, it was almost inevitable he'd give out some shockers, so shot would his confidence be. Name me one person who could have withstood the criticism he endured and then done well. He must be afraid to give anyone out anymore.

Cloete

International Captain
i don't agree with n e of the choices. i think the umpiring is bad and should be delt with. but it aint gonna kill international cricket.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Funny how an Aussie brings this up after the Second Test, and not the First Test.
It's quite natrual really wether we wont it to or not poor umpiring is always going to annoy us more when it happens to our team.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I agree there were many more in favor of oz in the first test but dont have a go at me for it I was one of the first to critersize after that test.

And I dont think the English are any better I have seen plenty of them wing about poor umpiring before it's not like Aussies are the only ones who do it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I seem to remember recent problems were accepted as part of the bad luck we were enduring (ie injuries etc.)

At this stage though Eclipse, I wasn't having a dig at you, just found it mildly ironic that none of the West Indians started threads like this, and the thread was started talking only about "the poor standard of umpiring in the Second Test"

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im afraid poor umpiring decisions have been around for ages now & every country gets their fair share of them...if you're not used to it by now then maybe its time you started watching another sport where you'll get the same problems such as League especially where they continue to make blatant errors also.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Tim said:
Im afraid poor umpiring decisions have been around for ages now & every country gets their fair share of them...if you're not used to it by now then maybe its time you started watching another sport where you'll get the same problems such as League especially where they continue to make blatant errors also.
But the problem is that one umpire keeps giving bad decisions regularly. Asoka gave a lot of bad decisions against Ganguly and they all had the same look to it. And he gave some to other Indian Players as well. That led to the Indian team to request ICC to not to field him in their matches.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the ICC had a chance to dump Asoka when they reviewed the panel a couple of months back which they didn't do.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't agree with asking for umpires not to stand in a countries matches - if they're on that list, they should stand in all - you can't say he's not good enough for us, but it's OK for him to stand in other's games.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Come on, that excuse about we only complain about it when it happens to us. COME OFF IT!

I admit that I only wrote about it now, but hey think what you want.

Lara in the first test was given a bad decision, and that changed the shape of the game giving an easy win to the Aussies.

All I'm saying is that the majority of bad decisions are real Barry Crockers, and most umpires should be given a seeing eye dog.

Langeveldt

Soutie
No, i will dont think it is destroying it... What is is the huge quantity of matches that lower its quality..

I dont want to hi-jack this thread, but did you know that if you put all the tests in Chronological order...Ian Botham made his debut in the first half

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Paid The Umpire said:
Lara in the first test was given a bad decision, and that changed the shape of the game giving an easy win to the Aussies.
Lara, Smith, Chanderpaul, Hinds and Dillon....

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
The ashes was a umpiring decision badlyathon

the first and second test in the windies as well

the only way to get them to get better is to drop them like players.

krkode

State Captain
Like Top_Cat said, umpiring errors have always been made. It's just that with better level of commentary, technology and video cameras we can only see them better. They're more magnified than they ever were before.

True that De Silva made some shockers, but shockers have been made by others in the past and will probably continue to be made in the future.

V Reddy

International Debutant
krkode said:

True that De Silva made some shockers, but shockers have been made by others in the past and will probably continue to be made in the future.
But he does it constistently. In every test he make atleast three. Nobody is saying a word about India - WI series. In that series he alone made atleast 10 bad decisions. He is consistently following that up. After Dravid scored 4 centuries he was given out LBW to inside edges in both innings in the next match. His decisions against Ganguly are well known.