• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has Pontings Fielding been effected by Captaincy

How has captaincy effected pontings fielding

• He's got better

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • No effect

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Got worse

Votes: 16 50.0%

• Total voters

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Personally I think Ponting cannot be considered in the top echelon of fieldsman at the moment. That belongs to someone lik Yuvraj or Symonds. Ponting is now only a good fielder not a top fielder. I think this is having a negative influence on the rest of the teams fielding. I think he became complacent with his fielding, moved himself to slip, and became worse. What are your thoughts?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
hes still as good...because...

1/ He moved himself to slip instead of backward point and has less chances for run outs etc.

2/ The last test series i think he could be excused for dropping a few catches. Ponting made 2 double centuries within two matches...

3/ Hes fielding well anyway. Today he did well, and the VB series hasn't been terrible for him

Eclipse

International Debutant
Well he has droped off a little this season but I think that's just down to the natrual swing of thing's you cant be brilliant all the time.

Plus he does not feild at backward point or in the covers as much as he used to and has still been outstanding on occasion's this season.

Rich2001

International Captain
Well I remember a few games back in the VB Series the guy took a screamer of a catch to dismiss S.Tendulkar of the bowling of Symonds, looked alright then :D

I agree what others have said he has still been very good, but the guy is human and will drop one or two now and then..... Lets remember while Ricky has dropped one or two, this summer has been the worst I've ever seen the Australians in the field they were dropping catches left, right and center, one of the Tests I recall at least 6 were put down. What iam basically saying is in context Ricky has still been above the rest etc.

His batting like has been said also will always go through dips you can't maintain that sort of form every single time he goes out to bat and I wouldn't be to worried yet as at least when he fails he is still contributing 30's etc. And his 80 odd today will have helped him alot and put any of those niggling thoughts back to the back of his thoughts again.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well he was the one that took that one handed blinder to dismiss Tendulkar and shatter my dreams of seeing a Tendulkar 100 live, so I wouldn't say so lol.

If he has lost a bit in the field I wouldn't say its directly related to him being captain either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is nonetheless odd, however, how often captains lose something in the field.
Ganguly, Fleming, Ponting possibly, Smith, a few I can think of.
Not neccesarily in catching, but in athleticism.
Personally I haven't noticed any change in Ponting's fielding but there's undoubtedly some sort of pattern.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Ponting's fielding has not been affected by being captain.

Every one is human and even the great fielders will drop catches from time to time, including Ponting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That goes without saying. Even Colin Bland and Walter Hammond dropped a few catches in their career.
But the question is: has there been any perceptible effect on Ponting? I guess we'll have to wait until he captains some games - but he's been captain for ages now. Really, why would someone ask this question at this point?

James Kinna

Cricket Spectator
Hey all, im new. Anyway, 1st, I don't think pontz got complacent with his fielding, moved himself to slip, and became worse. Since Australia's brilliant slip cordent of M.Taylor, M.Waugh and S.Warne hav gone, ponting has been forced to put himself in there, so he hasn’t been able to be in covers and at point where people forget how good he was, with run outs and catches. But yes he has dropped off, a fair bit in some senses. It may be arragont in me saying so, but I am the biggest punter fan alive, and I feel as if me saying I know his game as well as anyone isn’t stupid.
When your as naturally brilliant as ricky ponting you're always going to do the occasional miraculous thing, such as that catch off symonds to dismiss tendulkar, but he has dropped off for sure, when he 1st came on the scene he was absolutely amazing, but even catches that he is occasionally dropping now, a couple of years ago you just wouldn't see, if so not near as often. I'm not sure whether its a coincedence or not that it started happening around the time of captaincy, but lets not forget it wasn't long ago when people were argueing him to be better than the great J.Rhodes. Also I'll remind you that mark waugh went through a stage when he dropped catches as well, so hopefully punter pulls through and picks it up a bit!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
His fielding has been down a little lately, but it's not related to captaincy in my view.
exactly.
people were saying his batting had been effected by his captaincy, but now hes been playing really well. its just a matter of form and luck.

Scallywag

Banned
Australia are a little jaded at the moment with the build up before the triumphant series in India. Resting Hayden and injuries to Gilly and Gilespie shows that its been a long haul for the team. I hope we lose a couple before the ashes to reinvigorate the team.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
He has definitely got better as a one day batsman. As a test player, its too earlyto judge as its just a year since he took over captaincy. Fielding i okay. So over all I would say he has gone better.

Son Of Coco

membersstand said:
How long until Inzi uses the captaincy as an excuse for his poor fielding ?
hahaha, yeah, has he been running between wickets worse since getting the captaincy? A little hard to tell maybe.

Son Of Coco

Rich2001 said:
Well I remember a few games back in the VB Series the guy took a screamer of a catch to dismiss S.Tendulkar of the bowling of Symonds, looked alright then :D

I agree what others have said he has still been very good, but the guy is human and will drop one or two now and then..... Lets remember while Ricky has dropped one or two, this summer has been the worst I've ever seen the Australians in the field they were dropping catches left, right and center, one of the Tests I recall at least 6 were put down. What iam basically saying is in context Ricky has still been above the rest etc.

His batting like has been said also will always go through dips you can't maintain that sort of form every single time he goes out to bat and I wouldn't be to worried yet as at least when he fails he is still contributing 30's etc. And his 80 odd today will have helped him alot and put any of those niggling thoughts back to the back of his thoughts again.
Yeah I agree. THe Aussie team's catching has been down as a whole. There's been a lot more catches go down recently, not just confined to Ricky himself.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slats4ever said:
Personally I think Ponting cannot be considered in the top echelon of fieldsman at the moment. That belongs to someone lik Yuvraj or Symonds. Ponting is now only a good fielder not a top fielder. I think this is having a negative influence on the rest of the teams fielding. I think he became complacent with his fielding, moved himself to slip, and became worse. What are your thoughts?
Couldn't disagree more that Captaincy has been factor. If ponting has slowed down at all (i don't think he has) then if anything it should be put down to age, not captaincy

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
Yeah I agree. THe Aussie team's catching has been down as a whole. There's been a lot more catches go down recently, not just confined to Ricky himself.
The basic fact of the matter is that Australia are an ordinary fielding side, have been ever since Mark Waugh dropped those sitters at SSC in 2002\03.
So far it hasn't cost them much. But it just might - and that's an only just - in 7 months' time.