• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has a bowler ever taken wickets but conceded no runs?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If a bowler takes wickets and doesn't concede any runs you hardly need to be Pythagoras to work out that the average number of runs per wicket is 0.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I can't actually think of anyone who has finished an innings with 2 or more wickets and 0 runs conceeded.

I know Ponting's best figures are 1/0 in Tests.

Sir Alex

Banned
Richie Benaud holds the record in test matches for taking maximum number of wickets in an innings without conceding a run. He took 3 wickets against India in the 1st test of the 1959 series at Dehli. Scorecard - 1st Test: India v Australia at Delhi, Dec 12-16, 1959 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Wasim Raja took 2/0, and there are many other bowlers who have ended with innings figures of 1/0.

Here's the complete list.Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Enjoy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
AN Hornby took 1-0 in 7 four-ball overs in the 1878/79 tour of Australia (I think it was Lord Harris' XI's tour). That match was retrospectively given Test status (the term "Test cricket" was still yet to be used at the time), and no-one (unless I recall very incorrectly) has ever taken a Test wicket without conceding a Test run since.

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
Richie Benaud holds the record in test matches for taking maximum number of wickets in an innings without conceding a run. He took 3 wickets against India in the 1st test of the 1959 series at Dehli. Scorecard - http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/62868.html]1st Test: India v Australia at Delhi, Dec 12-16, 1959 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com[/B]
a player in that match and also one of Benaud's 3 victims, passed away on 1st October 2009 - [/I] aged 80. LINK

Last edited: