• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harry Brook

halba

International 12th Man
The more time goes on, he's bang average aint he. Feasting on tracks like Rawalpindi. Can't believe he was beating Bradman stats initially..

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Had a great start to his test career. Sadly it's nose diving. Hopefully just a blip.

loterry1994

International Debutant
He can still have a great test career I think. He just has to keep developing his game and not get too sucked into Bazball. Think England should give him a longer rope if he keeps struggling over the next year. Think he’ll have a good short form career for England also

his definitely not the guy you want batting at 3 after Your openers have gone for about 5 runs but I think he should be batting 5 or 6.

Last edited:

CartyDurham

International Vice-Captain
He has four tons and four fifties in a fledgling career to date

he has failed comparatively so far but he has all the shots you need to be top quality

Niall

International Coach
He got out to a freak dismissal in the 1st innings of the 1st test , had a nice 40 odd in the second innings and while the 2nd test he was messy he did slog a handy fifty. I'm skeptical that he will do much in the rest of this series but I won't panic just yet as he won't be the first young player not to set the world alight against the best bowling attack in the world.

ashley bach

International Captain
Anyone can have an awesome 7 test run.
This is true, but if you average 75 then chances are you aren't an ordinary player.
He's been clutch till now, but sceptical of the remainder of the ashes series especially now that he's batting at 3.
There's nothing not to like about him though, could very well be England's next great batsman. (lol they haven't had many)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I mean he was averaging 33 for the series before today. Not what we want, but hardly in disaster zone for a single series in terms of what it says about a batsman.

He has work to do but there’s talent there. And he didn’t just score in Pakistan but also NZ.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean he was averaging 33 for the series before today. Not what we want, but hardly in disaster zone for a single series in terms of what it says about a batsman.

He has work to do but there’s talent there. And he didn’t just score in Pakistan but also NZ.
He’s definitely a really talented ball striker, I wouldn’t ever bat him above five or six tbh unless he modified his technique a bit, but this match he’s had to.

I wonder if the whole ethos they’re running with might be a bit much for a bloke at his stage of his career?

Often see some really talented young fellas burst on the scene then have a patch where they struggle as they adapt to the top level and they learn from it. You’d hope someone is having a word in his ear, even if publicly it’s all about backing the blokes playing as they are. A few of his shots to get out have been awful tstl, but he’s made all his runs being very aggressive too. Interesting time for him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah pushing such an inexperienced and one-tempo cricketer up to 3 is daft and does the kid no favours. He’s the perfect batsmen to have coming in after 50 or 60 overs but he’s going to be fairly hit or miss at this stage in his career if he’s in earlier than that. Also reckon that he’s gonna have a nightmare once he’s exposed to a wicket that takes proper spin. But he’s hugely talented, could easily see him averaging high 40’s long term if the English selectors don’t pull their usual idiotic trick of dropping a player after one poor ashes.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
It's all remarkably similar to Garry Ballance isn't it ?

Yorkshire batting prospect makes flying start for England ..

Gary Ballance got to his first 1000 test runs in just 17 innings at an average of 67.93 , 4 Test hundreds

Harry Brook is on 953 runs from 16 innings @ 63.53 , 4 Test Hundreds

Be interesting to see if Brook can consolidate from here or will his performances decline like Ballance.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's all remarkably similar to Garry Ballance isn't it ?

Yorkshire batting prospect makes flying start for England ..

Gary Ballance got to his first 1000 test runs in just 17 innings at an average of 67.93 , 4 Test hundreds

Harry Brook is on 953 runs from 16 innings @ 63.53 , 4 Test Hundreds

Be interesting to see if Brook can consolidate from here or will his performances decline like Ballance.
He looks infinitely more talented than Ballance, who actively annoyed me any time he made runs because it really felt like competent bowling would have accounted for him easily.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very talented but he’s a 5/6 until he sorts out his play against the short ball

Time is on his side

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He looks infinitely more talented than Ballance, who actively annoyed me any time he made runs because it really felt like competent bowling would have accounted for him easily.
Ballance was just weird in that he became a walking wicket once his weakness was identified and then refused to change his technique